PDA

View Full Version : Changes coming to LRL

Robert Burns
15-04-10, 15:04
Well as I'm now free of my travelling for a it, and my work is nice and manageable I have been able to find someone that can help me with the LRL database.

New changes will be:

New front end.
Ability to put in your RRF Username.
Ability to choose how many questions you would like to answer in the quiz, and how many of each type you would like (the three types will be Law, Scenario & management).
ability to choose if you would like your score recorded.
A list of top scorers (whether this is for all time or for each month, or for both is yet to be decided).

The questions are also being updated to current law.

I hope we can get the new format out by Mid May.

Is there any other features people would like to see? I'm not promising you'll get them, but I'd be interested in other ideas.

Taff
.. Is there any other features people would like to see? I'm not promising you'll get them, but I'd be interested in other ideas.Brilliant. Why can't our politicians be like you? :D

Phil E
Is there any other features people would like to see? I'm not promising you'll get them, but I'd be interested in other ideas.

A video and picture round please.

tim White
15-04-10, 18:04
Picture Board as on Question of sport along the lines of "Name the heinous crime/criminal seen here" :eek:

I'll take number one please Sue.:chin:

Robert Burns
15-04-10, 23:04
Lol, I can already see the complain threads.

"I chose No. 4 it showed a ruck and asked what was wrong, I stated that players were off their feet but the answer said that the attackers were infront of the offside line. I want my point's and I want them now!" :mad:

hmmm, the video round could work though if I keep them small like SARefs.

menace
16-04-10, 04:04
and avoid using iRB ones...or at least getting the right law for the right infringment

(see my thread on vidoes on laws 15.6 vs 16.5)...
http://www.rugbyrefs.com/forums/showthread.php?p=116271#post116271

other than that the biggest improvement would be to have the question and the correct answers reflect current Laws....

I would also like to know the % distribution of what others answered..especially the option they chose when they were wrong.

Arturas
16-04-10, 05:04
I just want to to say: Thank You.

Robert Burns
16-04-10, 06:04
I'm also incorporating a timer to the questions, so you'll not beable to look up the answers, you have to answer from your head.

Menace,

Maybe I could make it when you get one wrong the quiz ends, and you get to compete with others to see who got the most consecutive correct answers?

Robert Burns
16-04-10, 06:04
I just want to to say: Thank You.

You are more than welcome!

Taff
16-04-10, 09:04
I'm also incorporating a timer to the questions, so you'll not beable to look up the answers, you have to answer from your head.Good idea. :clap:

.. Maybe I could make it when you get one wrong the quiz ends, and you get to compete with others to see who got the most consecutive correct answers?Not such a good idea. I'd constantly be restarting. :D Or at least give us an option to carry on if / when we get one wrong.

Ooooh. We've got new smilies. :wink:

Phil E
16-04-10, 11:04
Can we have a different question for Q1 each time?

After a few goes Q1 is a definite point in the bag.

chopper15
16-04-10, 11:04
What's LRL . . and can I join?:sad:

Taff
16-04-10, 12:04
What's LRL . . and can I join?:sad:Learn Rugby Laws. Top black bar - 7th item along.

menace
16-04-10, 13:04
What's LRL . . and can I join?:sad::cry:

Yes you can. But you do realize that there is no one to argue with then and there if you want to debate the question. You're either right or wrong. Can you handle the truth?:Nerv: :D

menace
16-04-10, 14:04
Menace,

Maybe I could make it when you get one wrong the quiz ends, and you get to compete with others to see who got the most consecutive correct answers?

I'm not averse to that. They do something similar in a boating website when you're testing yourself for your boating license as you must get the first 20 correct before you can attempt the rest. I think I set the record for the most attempts!

How about a sound wave of a jeering crowd when you get a scenario question wrong?

But seriously lrl is s great test and I look forward to the updates. But being a bit of a stats head I like figures on what others did. But can understand recording responses in the database to monitor answer stats is a big ask.

Taff
16-04-10, 15:04
... seriously lrl is s great test and I look forward to the updates.I used to click on it a lot, but when I realised it hadn't been updated I stopped, because I thought it would do more harm than good.

If anyone's interested though, you can download an "App" for your i-phone or i-pod Touch for about 6.50 IIRC.

chopper15
16-04-10, 15:04
Learn Rugby Laws. Top black bar - 7th item along.

Thanks, Taff. But how will other threaders know how well you do?

And can we debate the answer if we think 'they' got it wrong?

Taff
16-04-10, 17:04
Thanks, Taff. But how will other threaders know how well you do? And can we debate the answer if we think 'they' got it wrong?Unless it's changed, other people won't know how well or how badly you've done.

Don't think there is much to "debate" on it TBH. As it's extracted from the LoTG I think it's pretty black or white. Eg

Question 1 - Type: Law Question
The field of play includes the area between the goal-lines/touch-lines and [BLANK].
A. the goal-lines themselves
B. the touch-lines themselves
C. both A and B
D. neither A nor B

Davet
16-04-10, 17:04
ooh ooh oooh I know that one... pick me please, sir.. please, sir":drool:

tim White
16-04-10, 18:04
[QUOTE=menace;116360]

How about a sound wave of a jeering crowd when you get a scenario question wrong?

QUOTE]

Inconclusive; you'll get one of those when you get it right (at least at my games)

Bunniksider
16-04-10, 19:04
.......How about a sound wave of a jeering crowd when you get a scenario question wrong?......

Or a random pick from:

It's all the time ref.

He's got to let him up

That's a double movement

Feel free to suggest more.

Robert Burns
17-04-10, 02:04
Chopper,

Just remember the updates have not been uploaded yet, so some of the laws are still wrong for current play.

menace
17-04-10, 02:04
Chopper,

Just remember the updates have not been uploaded yet, so some of the laws are still wrong for current play.

That advice just in time I hope. For your sake!

Having some old laws certainly has me diving to the lotg if I think lrl is wrong which often then has me reading more lotg. That in itself learning more but that's more because us in the colony have come off ELVs and so I need to recheck FK vs PK sanctions!

Robert Burns
17-04-10, 14:04
Menace,

Shame on you using the ELV's of 1 season as an excuse.

get on with the penalties and get the tackler off!

menace
18-04-10, 01:04
Menace,

Shame on you using the ELV's of 1 season as an excuse.

get on with the penalties and get the tackler off!

I thought it was good one considering I am only just to start my second season as a ref. So my only season with whistle was under elvs. Prior to that I just assumed refs pk vs fk was as much a guess as his decision on the break down. Plus coaching kids modified pathways for 2 years not much. Converting to the dark side has enlightened me on ALL lotg!

Now you know why I want stats on how others answered LRL so I can see others are as niave to the laws as me! May help me decide to keep or retire whistle!

Robert Burns
18-04-10, 07:04
I missed my emoticon too, should have had a :rolleyes: :cool:

Anyway, if second season then I can see why . :biggrin:

menace
18-04-10, 10:04

Don't worry Rob no offence taken. Mine was a poor excuse but the only one I could think of. I did know PKs were more the norm!:biggrin:

can't think of any more additions for LRL (maybe a change to the pictures of the refs on the home page?)

chopper15
18-04-10, 14:04

Why not have, say, 6 months without access to those bloody deceitful little crutches(except :sad: and :hap: ). Let threaders get over their messages as best they can, as I have to do being crutch (not crotch) blind, and face up to all the misinterpretations.

Imagine the fun we could have. :norc:

OB..
18-04-10, 14:04

Which reminds me - in the standard size red view, the last column of emoticons is not visible. Can they be transferred to the bottom row please?

Robert Burns
18-04-10, 15:04
I'll see what I can do.

chopper15
18-04-10, 15:04
I'll see what I can do.

Is that in answer to my request, Robert, or OB's?

Robert Burns
19-04-10, 08:04
That was OB's mate! :p

Ok, I've uploaded the first play of the database for LRL.

Please note that it may take a minute to open in it's current form. Don't worry about the actual questions please just play with it and let me know if you have any problems. i.e. can't open it etc.

I will be looking to integrate it into the page but at the moment most may find it opens externally.

As I say, play and let me know any hassles you have. But please no complaints about wrong questions.

Taff
19-04-10, 08:04
... As I say, play and let me know any hassles you have.Just tried opening LRL and it seems to try and open an MS Word document - that "Help on a bicycle" icon turned up. Then it asked if I wanted to Save or Cancel.

Robert Burns
19-04-10, 09:04
Interesting....I don't believe that was planned.....

Phil E
19-04-10, 11:04
When I click on "enter the quiz" I get this:

Taff
Interesting....I don't believe that was planned.....Sorry Mr Burns, it isn't an MS Word document, its an MS database, with an "mdb" suffix. They obviously use the same "Help" icon as Word.

menace
He's planting a "mind control trojan" into your PC!!!!!!!:eek: :eek: :eek: :wow: :wow:

Robert Burns
19-04-10, 14:04
Changed it back for the mean time until i can figure out these 'interface' problems.

Also, on a good note Questions 1-70 are now current law. :hap:
Only 400 to go! :mad:

Robert Burns
19-04-10, 15:04
better burst there, now done 190 out of 454, upto law 14!

Won't be long guys and girls......girls?

Phil E
better burst there, now done 190 out of 454, upto law 14!

This is all supposing you know your laws :chin: :bday:

That's strange, my registration has been revoked?

Robert Burns
This is all supposing you know your laws :chin: :bday:

That's strange, my registration has been revoked?
:noyc:

He he.

I'll be honest the online law book is open too. I have double screens so it's a bit easier.