PDA

View Full Version : Rule Changes

League mate
13-04-04, 23:04
In New Zealand the two changes to the International Rules which also have been implemented into our local comps seem to be working out and in my view complement the game , well done . First what do you think of the new toss law where the team winning the toss gets either the direction OR kick off but not both .

The other is if a player is held up in goal their is now no scrum 10m out but a play the ball with no restart to the tackle count 10m out unless of course it is the fifth where the rules are the same as usual. Personally I think this law change is great as it quickens things up and rewards the defending team for not allowing the try and having to defend for another set of six .

Robert Burns
14-04-04, 01:04
They seem to make sense to me league mate, although whats the score with the scrums? it seems like the ball is never won against the head or the scrum is never stable, wouldn't it be better in league to either make scrums stricter or get rid of them and restart with a free kick?

League mate
14-04-04, 05:04
Over here thety're saying to us for our Provincial comp to make sure the ball is put in straight which makes for a better scrum , also coming from a Union backround it suits me because as far as i'm concerned scrums are contestable and not a right to possession . I have noticed though that at all grades scrums are hard to get right , they require a lot of communication with players ,even in Union don't you agree?
I think giving a free kick in place of a scrum would take some of the spectacle and fun out of the game though . I theink they need to be tidied up to make them competitive though .

Robert Burns
14-04-04, 05:04
Maybe giving a free kick to the other team at the point of a knock on would keep the flowing game, as league is all about quick possession and movement?

As soon as the ball is knocked on the opposition would be on the mark and off, game carries on, no stop. Unlike in Union where they are fully contested normally.

League mate
14-04-04, 22:04
Well yes I do like your argument but for me it also provides a bit of a breather , I can see three or four knock ons on a wet day making all my training worth while haha . Thanks for your comments .

See Paddy O`Brien has just released his book on his career to date . How do you rate southern referees in regards to the way you ref up there?

Robert Burns
15-04-04, 06:04
I like some and am not sure about others, the variations in signals can be a bit annoying, but everyone has there 'thing' that they look for more than others, thats just life!

League mate
15-04-04, 12:04
Personally I don't see any differences any more , not like the days of old where the two styles were very distinct .

Robert Burns
15-04-04, 17:04
I do like the way that they stop the guards though, very good.

didds
16-04-04, 12:04
the major benefitr to retaining scrums in RL to my mind (even though franbkly they are a joke) is that of course they concentrate 12 blokes in one small area of tyhe field.... or more to the point the side that wins the ball has the width of the field to pit their 6 backs (not including the scrum half) against only 6 defenders instaed of the normal full 13 ...

didds

didds
16-04-04, 12:04
I have read reports on modern refereeing decisions' statistics etc in internationals and basically there are no discernible differences in reffing styles between the two hemispheres....

... excepting andre watson of course!

Robert Burns
16-04-04, 20:04
Well in essence the laws are the same, so there shouldn't be.

But they do let certain things flow and northern guys don't, but the same is vice versa. SH does seem to like the super 12 style of playing.

League mate.

Can you send me a PM with all the forums that would entice some more RL refs onto the site?

Cheers.

League mate
17-04-04, 00:04
I like Watson's reffing style as he talks all the time , is that the short guy from Sth Africa , if so I would have to say that in the Super 12 he would have to be one of the most consistant ref's i've seen for a long time. Maybe he's hitting his straps . What is PM stand for ? pardon my ignorance but this is the first forum i've actually posted anything on

Robert Burns
17-04-04, 00:04
Andre did well in the final imo, the only thing noticed by those refs well above me in my region was that nearer the end his blowing became a bit hasty, as if he was being put under a lot of pressure, but hey, they guys ref'd two world cup finals, so what gives a jumped up little C grade like me the right to critisize him. so I shan't

League mate
17-04-04, 01:04
What is PM stand for Robert ? I like criticism as long as it's constructive as I can think on the points to see what I can get out of them and you never know Mr Watson may look in on the forum from time to time and your comments may be noted , filed and bought to the fore in his next game .

Robert Burns
17-04-04, 06:04
PM is private message, if you click on my name on the left a menu will drop down and you will see you can do it from there.