PDA

View Full Version : Chargedown at the goalline

Steve Y
07-05-10, 18:05
I have read some threads dealing 22.7 and the ball being dead in goal and who touched it intentionally and whatnot, and am still a bit confused. In my latest game white (attacking) throws in on a 5 meter lineout, which blue poaches and quickley taps back to the reciever who spins the ball to #10 who is standing in goal and attempts to kick downfield. white 10 charges down the kick which goes over the dead ball line. the lines on the field were very light and I was not sure if the ball came out of the goal area before being charged down. I gave a dropout and no one complained. going back to the book after the game I now think a scrum would have been correct as blue origionally put the ball into the goal. would it matter if the ball crossed the goal line before being charged down? or does the act of white charging down the ball negate that as that is causing the ball to go over the dead ball line? I have not been able to find a spot in the law book that addresses this specifically, am I missing something?

SimonSmith
07-05-10, 19:05
If the ball was charged down, then it made it clear of in-goal and was then put dead by the charge down - 22.
If it didn't clear the goal line, then scrum 5

Dixie
07-05-10, 21:05
In my latest game white (attacking) throws in on a 5 meter lineout, which blue poaches and quickley taps back to the reciever who spins the ball to #10 who is standing in goal and attempts to kick downfield. white 10 charges down the kick which goes over the dead ball line. PK against white 10, who's clearly offside. He should have been 10m back from the lineout.:p

Seriously, if the ball cleared in-goal before being charged, then white put it back into in-goal, where it then went dead. 22m drop-out to Blue. If it was still in-goal when charged down, blue originally put it there and so white 5m scrum.

I'm glad there was no dissent, as whether or not it crossed the line out of in-goal is a matter of fact - and you are the sole judge of fact and law on the pitch.

Dixie
07-05-10, 21:05
SimonSmith - it's the Afghan WHIGS. Political party, not a toupée.

Dickie E
07-05-10, 23:05
Steve, this type of incident will happen very quickly (reminiscent of a pinball machine) so its best to have it crystal clear in your mind. The key is: who last put the ball over the goal-line? If attackers: 22 drop out; if defenders - scrum 5.

If any doubt I'd go with 22 drop out.

SimonSmith
07-05-10, 23:05
SimonSmith - it's the Afghan WHIGS. Political party, not a toupée.

The band, yes. The musically illiterate quote from the show was inaccurate. I happen to have most of Mr Dulli's oeuvre; the show's writers had him pronounce it "Wigs", and the script has it written as "Wigs".

Would you be happier if I put "sic" after the quote?

OB..
08-05-10, 14:05
Steve, this type of incident will happen very quickly (reminiscent of a pinball machine) so its best to have it crystal clear in your mind. The key is: who last put the ball over the goal-line? If attackers: 22 drop out; if defenders - scrum 5.

If any doubt I'd go with 22 drop out.
I agree entirely with Dickie_E

didds
08-05-10, 23:05
I now think a scrum would have been correct as blue origionally put the ball into the goal. would it matter if the ball crossed the goal line before being charged down?

If the kick from in-goal had cleared the goal line by 10 metres and THEN been charged down [very low and flat and hard ? ;-) - bear with me!], re-entered the in-goal area with nobody else touching it and been touched down, who caused the ball to be put in-goal prior to the touch-down?

same as above but the ball clears the goal line by 1 metre?

same as above but the ball clears the goal line by 1 centimetre?

same as above but the ball clears the goal line by 1 millimetre?

Does this help clarify the situation?

didds

Phil E
09-05-10, 00:05
Bath Leeds today.

Bath kick, Leeds charge down.
Charge down sends the ball back into the 22, where the Bath player chased it and then kicked it out on the full.

TJ gave the line out at the place of the kick (inside the 22).

I rewound it a few times to be sure, but the Bath player never touched it from the charge down until he picked it up, already inside the 22.