PDA

View Full Version : Quick throw.

Andyp
28-09-10, 12:09
Red kicked for touch and the ball hit the stands but wasn't touched by anyone, bounced down to blue who threw a quick throw. Big shout from the stands complaining as it his the stand. Blue were the correct side if the flag.

Other than other people touching the ball, is there anything else to stop a quick throw?

PaulDG
Other than other people touching the ball, is there anything else to stop a quick throw?

Depends where you are.

In RFU land, we are told that the objective of the "if touched by another person" is to keep equity - so it's extended to anything that is unlikely to be in that same physical position for the whole match.

That would include sheep wandering over the border from Wales, spectator's dogs, water bottle carriers, etc.

But it doesn't include stands as they are clearly going to be there all game. (Indeed our old training officer used to illustrate this with a tale from a Northampton Saints U20s match where the ball went into the stand and was fielded by a player who ran up the seats to get it and threw it in from the bottom step of the stand.)

According to others on here, other nations don't follow the RFU interpretation and are strict on the "person" wording.

Simon Thomas
Legal QT if the ball hits the stand.

Any fixed stationary objects (apart from Assessors) are ok, but anything the ball hits that moves (people, animals, etc), and so give a variable advantage, prevent a QT.

Bunniksider
28-09-10, 13:09
........Other than other people touching the ball, is there anything else to stop a quick throw?

Yes, picking up and using another ball.

crossref
when the ball is carried into touch, the ball carrier then subsequently dropping it onto the ground, can the oppo pick it up and do a QT? Or has the ball by definition been 'touched' as it was carried inot touch.

Simon Thomas
The ball carrier who goes into touch or is tackled into touch must release ball immediately, and not deprive a QT option to the opposition.

Referees should manage it by a clear call (e.g. "14 red release the ball") and if non-compliance award PK.

OB..
28-09-10, 14:09
when the ball is carried into touch, the ball carrier then subsequently dropping it onto the ground, can the oppo pick it up and do a QT? Or has the ball by definition been 'touched' as it was carried inot touch.
Law 19.2 (d)

Dixie
28-09-10, 14:09

Law 19.2 (d) which says that the ball carrier who took it into touch is not relevant to whether the ball has touched another person - so yes, a QT may be taken in that case

The ball carrier who goes into touch or is tackled into touch must release ball immediately, and not deprive a QT option to the opposition.

Referees should manage it by a clear call (e.g. "14 red release the ball") and if non-compliance award PK. Just so. Of course, if he then releases it by passing it to a spectator, or making it touch the TJ .....

crossref
28-09-10, 16:09
Of course, if he then releases it by passing it to a spectator, or making it touch the TJ .....

then you could PK him?

Dixie
28-09-10, 16:09
Tecnically yes. Law 19.2(i)
(i) If a player carrying the ball is forced into touch, that player must release the ball to an opposition player so that there can be a quick throw-in.
Sanction: Penalty kick on 15-metre line

tim White
28-09-10, 18:09
"then you could PK him?" -And you should do so -it is a deliberate ploy to prevent the QT.

I was at a match last weekend where a member of the coaching team gleefully smiled when he said HE makes a point of touch opposition ball if it comes into touch near him so as to deny the QT :mad:

He also shouted loudly "Advantage Over" at one point to try and mislead opponents....We had words at this point.

Davet
28-09-10, 19:09
The technical area is not for coaches - move him beyond the 5m ropes...

crossref
29-09-10, 08:09
He also shouted loudly "Advantage Over" at one point to try and mislead opponents....We had words at this point.

he was pretending to be the Ref! did you think of a YC? that seems out of order to me - different level from shouting 'outside you', pretending to be a opponent.

Simon Thomas
29-09-10, 09:09
he was pretending to be the Ref! did you think of a YC? that seems out of order to me - different level from shouting 'outside you', pretending to be a opponent.

You cannot YC a coach - it is a meaningless sanction.

Ask him to desist. If he does it again, ask for him to be removed from the touchline.

crossref
29-09-10, 10:09
You cannot YC a coach - it is a meaningless sanction.

Ask him to desist. If he does it again, ask for him to be removed from the touchline.

ah, I misread it, I thought it was a player.

tim White
29-09-10, 14:09
You also misread my role in the match -I was assessing from behind the coaching team at the time. On second thoughts, maybe I'll start carrying cards again :noyc: -or a baseball bat? :chin:

crossref
:mad: I must pay more attention.

I am smiling, though. I like the idea of an assessor suddenly brandishing a YC at a coach.

Simon Thomas
:mad: I must pay more attention.

I am smiling, though. I like the idea of an assessor suddenly brandishing a YC at a coach.

an assessor tongue lashing of a coach is far more effective :biggrin:

Davet
29-09-10, 17:09
Nah, let's do the baseballl bat thing.

Please.:D

tim White
29-09-10, 18:09
I'll use tact and diplomacy first (Oi, Gobsh*te, pack it in -or I'll batter you with me little friend - cue; the aforementioned bat :cool: )