PDA

View Full Version : NO ACTION:Question Reference Number: 234 - prohibited actions in a ruck

Chunky Charvis
03-10-10, 14:10
Question Reference Number: 234
are prohibited actions involving a ruck.
Correct!
The correct answer is: D.
16.3 : Players in a ruck must endeavor to stay on their feet. A player must not intentionally fall or kneel in a ruck. A player must not intentionally collapse a ruck. The penalties for these infringements are penalty kicks.

A. [B]player leaving the player's feet to join a ruckB. player kneeling in a ruck
C. collapsing a ruck
D. all of the above

What does option A mean??!!

SimonSmith
03-10-10, 14:10
I suspect you shlould think about an Exocet missile joining the ruck...

Rit Hinners
03-10-10, 17:10
I suspect you shlould think about an Exocet missile joining the ruck...

SS, that's NOT joining. That's an attempt to collapse it.

Surprised this is never called.

I also like the one where you lean over and wrap the opposition's upper body with your arms then twist and dive to one side bringing him with you.

Why is that not called either?

SimonSmith
SS, that's NOT joining. That's an attempt to collapse it.

Surprised this is never called.

I also like the one where you lean over and wrap the opposition's upper body with your arms then twist and dive to one side bringing him with you.

Why is that not called either?

That's why it's banned. And it is called.

Rit Hinners
I still see it quite often..... But I only get to see what is on the tube.

RUGBYBOOT
04-10-10, 21:10
Hi - Just reading your post - I am a new ref and was interested to read what you said about a player joining a ruck and wrapping his arms around an opponent who is trying to get to the ball - this player then spins out whilst still holding the torso of the opposition player and takes him to ground - are you saying this is illegal ?? thanks

OB..
04-10-10, 22:10
Pulling a player out of a ruck is not specifically prohibited (as it is for a maul). However it might amount to dangerous play, or collapsing the ruck.

Rit Hinners
05-10-10, 23:10
I'd call it collapsing the ruck.

That activity, beyond the bind, in no way contains a rucking activity. Rucking is a contest for the ball. That action is preventing the opposition from competing for the ball without competing for it himself.

Dixie
06-10-10, 16:10
Hi - Just reading your post - I am a new ref and was interested to read what you said about a player joining a ruck and wrapping his arms around an opponent who is trying to get to the ball - this player then spins out whilst still holding the torso of the opposition player and takes him to ground - are you saying this is illegal ?? thanks Rugbyboot - it is a clear instance of collapsing a ruck, and should always be penalised - no exceptions. Only if the oppo actually has possession of the ball off the ground is this acceptable - in which case it's a tackle. All other instances are either playing the man without the ball, or collapsing a ruck. No exceptions.

Why don't our elite colleagues ping it? Who knows? Perhaps they are members of the Judo Union, whose members get paid to coach this technique to the players.

djones
07-10-10, 21:10
Hi - Just reading your post - I am a new ref and was interested to read what you said about a player joining a ruck and wrapping his arms around an opponent who is trying to get to the ball - this player then spins out whilst still holding the torso of the opposition player and takes him to ground - are you saying this is illegal ?? thanks

definate penalty but you have to take the level of the march into consideration, if it is elite they should know better if its low level they may need educating.