PDA

View Full Version : football-style sliding tackle

threegatesexpress
25-09-06, 13:09
This incident occurred in the 68th minute of a Surrey league match last Saturday. Yellow lead purple by 50 points to 5.

Yellow 4 breaks off back of a maul 10 metres from purple's try line about 10 metres in from touch on the left wing. He makes it almost to the goal line by the corner flag where he is in the process of being tackled by purple 14. Yellow 4 is falling forwards towards the goal line, but may be taken into touch by his tackler before hitting the ground when....

purple 2 arrives moving rapidly along the goal line towards the touchline, but he is half a metre off the ground, arriving in the mode of a football slide tackle, feet first. With adept skill he kicks the ball cleanly from the yellow 4's hands and into touch. He does not use his hands, he makes no attempt to grasp the yellow player.

Definitely no try scored. Tackled player and tackler hit the flag an instant after the ball was kicked from yellow 4's hands. The ball made touch over the touch line (not touch in goal). All players got up intact.

I'll tell you later what I did. Thoughts?

Pablo
Welcome back, Jim! It's been a while - or have you just been lurking and not posting these last 10 months?

Anyway, to the matter in hand. Leaving aside the fact that kicking the ball from a player's hands seems dangerous to my mind (and therefore penalisable under 10.4) - since you say the players got up intact - this specific situation is actually prohibited under Law 15.6(i):

When a tackled player reaches out to ground the ball on or over the goal line to score a try, an opponent may pull the ball from the player's possession, but must not kick the ball.

The penalty is a PK. So, I would have awarded one of the Pk or a penalty try - though which is impossible to say without actually having been there, since many other variables come in to play.

What did you do?

Simon Griffiths
Can't argue with Pablo there, PK or PT.

Also I'd be very, very inclined to card the player, though having not seen the act I can't comment on which colour!

Davet
Agreed, my first thought was dangerous play... regardless of the actual lack of damage in that specific instance. Rather than "consummate skill" I would suggest "the luck of the damned". And damned he would be - Penalty Try and a YC.

Brian Ravenhill
25-09-06, 14:09
Penalty try and probably RED card. If his feet had been 6 inches either way it could have caused a serious injury to more than one player him self included.
If that had happened localy you'd have players who would have let there feelings known, and sending him off may have been for his own saftey.

madref
Dangerous play

Could be penalty try also.

David

Davet
Brian - your red is probably the right call - my only reason for not calling it was the fact of the specific incident where no-one actually got hurt, or even touched.

Possibly too nice to the players, as I have been told.

Must get nastier.

Simon Thomas
25-09-06, 15:09
PT and red card, based on incident described and assuming intent and in act of scoring.

DaveT - nasty bast*rd lessons available

SONA
I would be with the consensus here as well. Yellow card, red card, or penalty try would have immediately crossed my mind. If for no other reason than dangerous play. The only issue is did they hit the flag and ball go to touch because of the lateral momentum of the attacking foot of purple 2? I would have been inclinded toward the PT for this very reason and if they did not like that, to bad for them. It would be a good reason to make your case for a PK in any case.

ex-lucy
If this was the first incident of the match i would give a yellow card for dangerous play. Possibly more, if later in the match dependent on what else has happened.

I had a late charge/ tackle using no arms in a match on Sunday in first 5 mins. He pulled out but still hit late and made it worse. Straight yellow.
capt: "but sir, it was his first offence."
"I dont care, it was late and very dangerous."
We had 2 more yellows as Colts match took its inevitable journey to machoism so i think i did right.

ExHookah
25-09-06, 17:09
Sounds to me like a penalty try and definitely a card, probably a red one.

threegatesexpress
25-09-06, 21:09
PK to yellow on 5m for dangerous play; didn't feel I could give the penalty try as yellow 4 may have gone into touch anyway.

Purple 2 got ten minutes of personal contemplation. Amazingly he felt hard done by, hence my reality check on here.

Unfortunately for me, purple 2 was also their skipper and as he completed my assessment card just fifteen minutes later, predictably he marked me down on everything. Charming!

ExHookah
25-09-06, 22:09
PK to yellow on 5m for dangerous play; didn't feel I could give the penalty try as yellow 4 may have gone into touch anyway.

Purple 2 got ten minutes of personal contemplation. Amazingly he felt hard done by, hence my reality check on here.

Unfortunately for me, purple 2 was also their skipper and as he completed my assessment card just fifteen minutes later, predictably he marked me down on everything. Charming!

I think Purple 2 needs a reality check himself.

didds
25-09-06, 22:09

this was recvently covered elsewhere but this is exactly why IMO such cards are worthless, albeit I do accept I cannot come up with any better system..

didds

Robert Burns
27-09-06, 14:09
And don't give it to him till you are in the bar, hense everyone has a chance to calm down. I think your actions were right given you were there to see what may or may not have happened.

Did purple lose?

Also This is what your blue card is for Jim, put on the comments section about that critical decision, it allows the grading committee to understand, although they will normally ignore cards where you get bad everything, especially if team have lost by a narrow margin, they know it's just the capt looking for a scape goat.

ExHookah
27-09-06, 14:09
We've just introduced online referee evaluations on our new society website. I'm assuming that by the time they get to a computer they will have had time to calm down and think rationally.

Of course they could also have had time to stew in the car and get more agitated about it.

Robert Burns
27-09-06, 15:09
And more likely they'll completely forget, bad idea I think but I would be interested to hear how it goes.

tim White
27-09-06, 15:09
Penalty? YES

Yellow card? YES

Penalty try? Wait to see where he lands, you don't often get this clue to assist you.

Red card? No-one else seemed to think so because no-one got hurt, I'll go with that rather than look foolish.

threegatesexpress
28-09-06, 09:09
Did purple lose?

Purple lost by over 50 points.

Robert Burns
28-09-06, 10:09
Hardly a critical game changing decision then was it, lol