PDA

View Full Version : offside. Advantage?

ex-lucy
27-09-06, 13:09
Law ref:
Law 11
4 (c) When a player who is off-side under the 10-metre law charges an opponent waiting to catch the ball, the referee blows the whistle at once and the off-side player is penalised. Delay may prove dangerous to the opponent.

Scenario:
Blue 15 kicks for touch from his 22m from behind his pack. Ref warns blue pack to "Wait blue! blue pack retire, pls".
Black 15 collects ball. Blue 1, within 10m of black 15, moves towards black 15. Ref blows whistle. Black 15 at full pace now is through first line of defence now and is hurtling into 22m ......

Was it right ? (to blow whistle at that time)

Robert Burns
27-09-06, 14:09
Law ref:
Law 11
4 (c) When a player who is off-side under the 10-metre law charges an opponent waiting to catch the ball, the referee blows the whistle at once and the off-side player is penalised. Delay may prove dangerous to the opponent.

Scenario:
Blue 15 kicks for touch from his 22m from behind his pack. Ref warns blue pack to "Wait blue! blue pack retire, pls".
Black 15 collects ball. Blue 1, within 10m of black 15, moves towards black 15. Ref blows whistle. Black 15 at full pace now is through first line of defence now and is hurtling into 22m ......

Was it right ? (to blow whistle at that time)

I think this is the important bit, I think your scenario is completely different.

ex-lucy
Robert, how so?

and how would you have refereed that scenario?

OB..
The bit Robert emphasised means to me that the player is not only too close, but also moving fairly hard - hence the safety aspect, and the need to blow the whistle early to prevent a potentially dangerous collision.

If you judge there is no such danger, even though the player was within 10 metres and moving forward, then you can play advantage.

ex-lucy
OB, ok, i was told by an assessor that there is little or no advantage in that scenario ... this was an extreme case and i regretted the whistle afterwards bec of common sense and stopping positive play but at the time i was adamant "no adv" bec of what assessor told me.

Robert Burns
Ob's said what I meant, if it looks like the catcher is going to be clouted before or as he catches the ball, blow whistle before it happens.

If player can catch and get moving then play an advantage.

OB..
"Never say Never" also implies "Never say Always". Very few decisions should be automatic. In your case it sounds as if there was in fact an advantage, despite the general view from the assessor.

However it is a case where you should err on the side of caution. A player waiting to catch the ball is very vulnerable.