PDA

View Full Version : Numbers in lineout

Stuartg
31-10-10, 16:10
Am I right in thinking that law19.8 (c) is still current. The non-throwing in team at a lineout does not have to match the numbers in the line-out - they may have fewer.

So reds to throw in, red put 7 in the line, blue responds by only putting three in the line - my understanding is there is no problem with this. This is the way I played it today in a colts match but one coach told me that the non throwing side have to match the numbers this season.

Who is right?

andyscott
31-10-10, 17:10
no the throwing in side chooses the maximum thats it.

Taff
... So reds to throw in, red put 7 in the line, blue responds by only putting three in the line - my understanding is there is no problem with this. This is the way I played it today in a colts match but one coach told me that the non throwing side have to match the numbers this season.Just a stab in the dark, but perhaps the coach is getting confused with equal numbers in an U19 scrum? :chin:

SimonSmith
Am I right in thinking that law19.8 (c) is still current. The non-throwing in team at a lineout does not have to match the numbers in the line-out - they may have fewer.

So reds to throw in, red put 7 in the line, blue responds by only putting three in the line - my understanding is there is no problem with this. This is the way I played it today in a colts match but one coach told me that the non throwing side have to match the numbers this season.

Who is right?

There was never (in recent times) a requirement to match, only to not exceed by the defedning team.

That went away with an ELV, and then the ELV went away.

Stuartg
31-10-10, 19:10
Just a stab in the dark, but perhaps the coach is getting confused with equal numbers in an U19 scrum? :chin:

No - we had that one later in the game when I YCed his No. 8!!

stuart3826
31-10-10, 21:10

Who is right?You are. I had this from a Premiership coach last season!

Davet
31-10-10, 22:10
You were correct, coach is simply confused.

Sadly common.