PDA

View Full Version : Priming jumpers

lawsons
16-11-10, 15:11
Off on exchange this weekend to the midlands and have been reading the good book to swot up. This law came to mind and I wondered if assessors, experienced refs could give me their views on when they penalise this and what they look for ?

Jumping, supporting or lifting before the ball is thrown. A player must not jump or be lifted or supported before the ball has left the hands of the player throwing in. Sanction: Free Kick on the 15-metre line

TheBFG
mee too! I'm in the E Mids though:wink:

i hate to say it, but it's one of those "manage it" times.

there's a case for the non-throwing in team to not go early and an early FK or chat with the offenders usually does the trick if they are going up too early.

But from an attacking point of view, i think you'd be a bit of a jobsworth if you pinged on their own throw:chin:

FlipFlop
Impossible to apply fully to a front jump.

I would suggest that if the front jumpers go up, and the ball arrives when the jumper gets up (i.e. not help up and then ball in) then allow it. Allow the oppo to go when their opposite number goes up.

But throws to the middle and tail - it should be the way round the law requires - ball first, then jump. Easy to spot if it is happening - jumper is help for prolonged period in the air.

And assessors love to see you manage the early lift. I have found that the first time it occurs say to the line out jumpers/lifters "wait for the ball, not before" and then turn to the hooker and say "and can you get it in quicker"
(to preempt the complaints of the defenders that there is a delay in the throw).

Phil E
I don't want any lifting until after, or as the ball is thrown. Nor do I want any dummy jumps to try and con the other team into committing an offence.

First couple of times I stop the line out and have a word.

"You (jumper) stay on the floor till he throws it; you (thrower) get it thrown in quicker".

This usually solves it, with maybe a reminder here and there.

However, if they ignore me and continue to do it I will FK them (always the non throwing side) until they stop it.

You can play advantage if they go up way early and the ball is then thrown over them, but advantage in that scenario is usually over very quickly.

Simon Thomas
agreed - it is a management issue.

Chicken and egg time - is it thrower delaying or jumper going up early or being triggered.

I would be looking for you to get control from the first line out and manage it consistently throughout :

no pre-huddles
no messing about with numbers being called, line dancing etc
full metre gap
front men inside 5m line
who is receiver ?
is oppot to thrower 2m x 2m away
thrower cocks arm and gets it in
no triggers
no early jumps
then it is into usual along and across the line offences etc...............

ex-lucy
check your innoculations if you are going to East Mids

TheBFG
been there before and made it back with no problems, thanks for the thoughts though Ex :love:

didds
I don't want any lifting until after, or as the ball is thrown. Nor do I want any dummy jumps to try and con the other team into committing an offence.

First couple of times I stop the line out and have a word.

This includes front ball Phil? As flip-flop points out, You'd be lucky to get a front ball if the jumpers had to wait until the ball is released because the ball will have passed the jumper before he'd have got up, unless it was really slow and loopy. This isn't anything to do with lifters either ... its just a timing thing that is very very hard to do anything about unless the law is basically broken.

the "blind eye" status quo means there is no silly scrapping around at the front of the l/o (safety) with lobbed throws, and it gets the game along moving quickly (enjoyment) and is the same for both sides (equity).

didds

didds

Phil E
This includes front ball Phil? As flip-flop points out, You'd be lucky to get a front ball if the jumpers had to wait until the ball is released because the ball will have passed the jumper before he'd have got up, unless it was really slow and loopy. This isn't anything to do with lifters either ... its just a timing thing that is very very hard to do anything about unless the law is basically broken.

Use common sense. If he is put up and then just stays there (because the thrower isnt going to throw till he comes down) then we are into the scenario I described.

If he goes up a split second before the throw, or as it is thrown I am not going to lose any sleep.

I am looking for clear and obvious early jumps.

lawsons
16-11-10, 17:11
agreed - it is a management issue.

Chicken and egg time - is it thrower delaying or jumper going up early or being triggered.

I would be looking for you to get control from the first line out and manage it consistently throughout :

no pre-huddles
no messing about with numbers being called, line dancing etc
full metre gap
front men inside 5m line
who is receiver ?
is oppot to thrower 2m x 2m away
thrower cocks arm and gets it in
no triggers
no early jumps
then it is into usual along and across the line offences etc...............

sorry just to be clear as to be honest I haven't prevented these really before (and no-one has complained or advised me to, which maybe why I have got into a bad habit) Re - no early jumps - does this include where number two jumper of throwing in side goes up (triggers oppo number 2 to go up), comes down and number 4 goes up and catches the ball. I see this and variants of this alot. Number 2 pretending to jump, then retreats 3 yards then goes up etc.

are these no no's and to be managed out ?

crossref
16-11-10, 17:11
Re - no early jumps - does this include where number two jumper of throwing in side goes up (triggers oppo number 2 to go up), comes down and number 4 goes up and catches the ball. I see this and variants of this alot. Number 2 pretending to jump, then retreats 3 yards then goes up etc

I was under the impression that the throwing side aren't allowed to dummy-lift? that must come under the heading of lifting before the ball comes in?

OB..
16-11-10, 18:11
sorry just to be clear as to be honest I haven't prevented these really before (and no-one has complained or advised me to, which maybe why I have got into a bad habit) Re - no early jumps - does this include where number two jumper of throwing in side goes up (triggers oppo number 2 to go up), comes down and number 4 goes up and catches the ball. I see this and variants of this alot. Number 2 pretending to jump, then retreats 3 yards then goes up etc.

are these no no's and to be managed out ?

Yes.

See Law 19.10 (f).

Davet
16-11-10, 19:11
Yes, throwers will sometimes jump early to tempt the opponents to go up, and the throw happens when the opponents lower their player.

FK the first early jumper and the problem often stops.

If the non-throwers are going early try standing at the back and watch the thrower - is he cocking and stuttering, or cocking and delaying too long - he must get the ball in without delay.

lawsons
17-11-10, 08:11
Thanks everyone. Will give it a try.