PDA

View Full Version : NO ACTION:Question Reference Number: 270

grelb
19-11-10, 02:11
Question 17 - Type: Scenario Question
Question Reference Number: 270
Gold kicks-off and Blue #12 receives the ball. Blue #12 is immediately held by Gold #5 and a maul forms. The ball does not emerge. What do you do?

Incorrect - You answered C.
The correct answer is: D.

17.6h : If a player catches the ball direct from an opponent's kick (ball did not touch another player or the ground before the player caught it), except from a kick-off or a drop-out, and the player is immediately held by an opponent, a maul may form. Then if the maul remains stationary, stops moving forward for longer than five seconds, or if the ball becomes unplayable, and a scrum is ordered, the team of the ball catcher throws in the ball.

A. Nothing; play on.
B. Award a penalty kick to Blue.
C. Award a scrum, with Blue throwing-in.
D. Award a scrum, with Gold throwing-in.

----
Have I missed something?
"the team of the ball catcher throws in the ball."
"Blue #12 receives the ball"

so the correct answer should be
C. Award a scrum, with Blue throwing-in.

ddjamo
kick off is different than open play.

grelb
Ahh - thanks for the quick reply

I misinterpreted the placement of the text "except from a kick-off or a drop-out,"

so
-If the maul becomes stationary for longer then 5 seconds then there is a scrum and the team not in possession of the ball throws in the ball (17.6c)
- If someone catches the ball directly from a kick, then a maul forms and it remains stationary for 5+ seconds then there is a scrum and the team of the ball catcher throws in the ball (17.6h)
- If the kick was a drop out or kick off then ignore that last rule (17.6h) - so the throw in goes back to the team not in possession of the ball.

Ok. thanks

ddjamo
19-11-10, 03:11
I wouldn't say ignore "law" 17.6h...apply it.

Dickie E
19-11-10, 06:11
I've never really understood the logic of this. What is special about a kick off or 22? Why doesn't a Garryowen PK attract the same outcome?

PaulDG
19-11-10, 08:11
I've never really understood the logic of this. What is special about a kick off or 22? Why doesn't a Garryowen PK attract the same outcome?

KO and 22 are the only times when the kicking team has no choice except to kick.

At all other times, the kicking team has choices - the tactical choice might well be to kick, but it's still a choice.