PDA

View Full Version : Two jumpers

Ian_Cook
08-12-10, 11:12
I have had a member of another forum ask me some questions about the line out Laws. I managed to answer all but this one.

7. Can a team use two jumpers in the line-out, as in one jumps, catches the ball and passes it to another jumper, whom only jumped once the ball is caught/I can't see any reason why not, but cannot see much of an advantage, except that it might fool the opposition as to where the maul was going to form.

I envision this as a pod lifting the jumper, and he catches the ball. At that moment, another player jumps, and as the original jumper comes down he flicks to ball to him, and when the second jumper lands, the team form behind him and drive forward.

I have seen it done where the catcher flicks the ball down to a player running into a gap.

Does anyone see an obvious reason why this might be illegal?

Toby Warren
08-12-10, 11:12
Careful of a forward pass (or more likely closing the gap to get in front).

Other than that play on - but as you say what benefit do they get it moves the point of the maul but that can done from off the top ball quicker and safer.

I don't like it (but then I don't like the fact that players can lift to receive KOs. I think it's obstruction)

OB..
08-12-10, 12:12
The law simply says "jumping for the ball", and does not specify that the throw must come from the person throwing in.

In any normal lineout one of the jumpers will have his back to the other. The one nearer the front could turn round when the ball is thrown over his head and then jump/be lifted. The throw to him must not be forward. The advantage of being in the air is that he cannot be tackled until he comes down, but that only slows down setting up a move. Moreover 6 players have to be involved which also affects setting up a maul.

It looks like a difficult manoeuvre with no discernible advantage and plenty of chances to go wrong.

Dickie E
play on

crossref
at junior levels I wonder if it sounds a bit needlessly dangerous - two jumpers in the air, one away from the ball where the oppo don't expect anyone to be in the air .. oppos will be moving to contest maul at the point where the ball is caught, and could collide/barge the unexpected second pod in the act of lifting and jumper could be dropped...

Dixie
Play on. Who would allow the backs to encroach within 10m of the LoT after the first jumper passes the ball?

Taff
08-12-10, 15:12
Who would allow the backs to encroach within 10m of the LoT after the first jumper passes the ball?Why? The LO isn't over.

... The one nearer the front could turn round when the ball is thrown over his head and then jump/be lifted.I thought both jumpers can jump / be lifted as soon as the ball leaves the throwers hands.

And unless he was facing backwards, the front jumper will need to be a pretty good contortionist to be able to catch a ball from a player behind him. As a mate of mine says "if you don't see it very often - there's a good reason for it". :D

OB..
08-12-10, 19:12
The one nearer the front could turn round when the ball is thrown over his head and then jump/be lifted.
I thought both jumpers can jump / be lifted as soon as the ball leaves the throwers hands.
Yes, but that was not my point. There are three reason for jumping later:
(i) so as not to risk interfering with the throw to a player behind him
(ii) so that he does not have to be held up too long
(iii) so that he does not tip off the opponents earlier than necessary.

Ian_Cook
08-12-10, 20:12
Thanks for the comments guys

To sum it up.... legal but pointless.

Chunky Charvis
08-12-10, 20:12
Careful of a forward pass (or more likely closing the gap to get in front).

Other than that play on - but as you say what benefit do they get it moves the point of the maul but that can done from off the top ball quicker and safer.

I don't like it (but then I don't like the fact that players can lift to receive KOs. I think it's obstruction)

i agree with this bit on bold. its also unsafe. not sure why it is still allowed!

Taff
08-12-10, 21:12
Yes, but that was not my point. There are three reason for jumping later:
(i) so as not to risk interfering with the throw to a player behind him
(ii) so that he does not have to be held up too long
(iii) so that he does not tip off the opponents earlier than necessary.Ok ok. Good points - I stand corrected. :D

OB..
08-12-10, 22:12
i agree with this bit on bold. its also unsafe. not sure why it is still allowed!

A person running can jump higher than a person standing. If you don't allow lifting, then the defender would also have to run and jump, thus increasing significantly the force of the contact. I see that as more likely to cause problems than lifting.