PDA

View Full Version : NO "no numbers" (Ire v Sco)

TheBFG
28-02-11, 15:02
Anyone want to throw some light on these calls during the match?

On a couple of occasion you heard NO call at a LO "no numbers":chin:

was this due to Sco taking time to form a LO so NO was basically saying to Ire "put in what you like, if they're going to mess around i'm not going to ping you for it".

However then part way through the 2nd half he FK's Ire for numbers in the LO:chin:

OB..
I suspect he was simply saying that no call had been made for reduced numbers.

B52 REF
correct in your 1st assumption think the fk was for once scot. didn't faff about and ireland had time to match. (or maybe someone suggested at halftime his no numbers call whilst gd management was stretching the LOTG.)

Casey Bee
28-02-11, 17:02
Anyone want to throw some light on these calls during the match?

On a couple of occasion you heard NO call at a LO "no numbers":chin:

:chin:

Hope you don't mind BFG I'm not answering your question but am appending to your post!

Does anyone notice that NO seems to have a few little phrases he uses which don't seem conventional?
I was thinking this to myself watching most of this game.

One, I'm thinking of is 'pulling scrum half in to ruck'. Isn't this better put as 'playing the man without the ball'?
He seems to give commentary that you might expect the players themselves to use but not the referee e.g. 'turnover ball!' 'ball gone!' (from scrum)
This may well be to be 'audience friendly'?
He also frequently says 'use it!' (instruction to scrum half) This has been discussed elsewhere, some folk don't favour it but it's obviously fine at elite level?

andyscott
28-02-11, 19:02
the one FK was for the receiver joining the line ;)

Davet
28-02-11, 19:02
no numbers call whilst gd management

It isn't good management.

If you don't allow the opposition time to withdraw excess players (as the law says) then the throwers have an automatic overlap elsewhere on the field.

Just letting them get on with it is not any sort of management, its a cop out.