PDA

View Full Version : "Across the line" offences

Dixie
10-03-11, 16:03
What do people understand by this term in relation to lineout play?

Fat Twin
Maybe it refers to players closing the gap or jumping across the lineout and committing offences?

I assume this was something an assessor came up with?

I work in marketing and hate phrases like this - we have above the line and below the line marketing - i still have to check what the hell they mean!

OB..
Players interfering with the jumper or the lifters is the usual problem.

Lee Lifeson-Peart
10-03-11, 17:03
As opposed to....?

As a group I'd think it was the first bunch of 19.10 ie all the PKs p'raps?

OB..
10-03-11, 18:03
Too many new referees think their main task at the lineout is to check not-straight, so they stand as close as possible to the line of touch. I point out that penalty offences across the lineout are more important, and that they can judge not-straight by the way the players jump.

Davet
10-03-11, 18:03
"Across the line" is a phrase that has been used for years.

Oddly enough it relates to offences that cross the line of touch, such as interfering with opposition.

The clue is in the title.

They are regarded as the thing a ref should concentrate on most, as they are the most serious offences.

stuart3826
10-03-11, 21:03
"Across the line" is a phrase that has been used for years.

Oddly enough it relates to offences that cross the line of touch, such as interfering with opposition.

The clue is in the title.

They are regarded as the thing a ref should concentrate on most, as they are the most serious offences.Wot he said

Enrique
10-03-11, 22:03
As opposed to....?

Along the line (e.g. not straight, not 5, etc.)

Lee Lifeson-Peart
11-03-11, 09:03
Along the line (e.g. not straight, not 5, etc.)

With my pedant (Chopper) head on - not straight could be considered an across the line offence. :biggrin:

Davet
11-03-11, 10:03
With my pedant (Chopper) head on - not straight could be considered an across the line offence. :biggrin:

No - the ball did not cross the line. It started ON the line and then moved away from it.

If you are going to be pedantic you need to ensure you get it right. :)

B52 REF
11-03-11, 13:03
fat twin -isn't "below the line" marketing reserved for newbies or those of little talent?? thats what my above the liners tell me anyway:)

Phil E
11-03-11, 13:03
What about "up the pole" offences :wow:

Stoo48
11-03-11, 15:03
Is that Navy speak Phil?

Dixie
11-03-11, 15:03
What about "up the pole" offences :wow: You and that bloody bear! I know the English love their animals, but you should know it's illegal and abusive - navy or no bloody navy!