PDA

View Full Version : Stepping over the 15m

andyscott
06-04-11, 00:04
So a maul forms but a participant in the line out steps over the 15m line and then interferes.

Where is the PK.

I gave it on LOT 15m in. Assessor said should have been 10m back in line with the non participants.

We disagree (or should I say he is wrong :biggrin: )

Any thoughts?

Taff
I thought all PKs relating to participating players at a LO were on the 15m line. :chin:

Adam
I've looked at Law 19 and I can't see what this situation should come under. I suppose we could use 19.14 a, c or e. In these scenarios I would put the PK 15 metres in, on the line of touch.

My gut reaction says on the line of touch as he is a not a non-participant in the lineout (sorry for the double negative).

ddjamo
06-04-11, 01:04
So a maul forms but a participant in the line out steps over the 15m line and then interferes.

explain that a little more.

ddjamo
hahaha...nice signature you gave me nick/simon...thanks! is that mr. sheen?

barker14610
That sounds like Ex-Hookah

DrSTU
06-04-11, 02:04
hahaha...nice signature you gave me nick/simon...thanks! is that mr. sheen?

Hmm, mine seems like someone has some inside information about my reffing "style"

ddjamo
06-04-11, 02:04
not mine...I'm like a gazelle.....a three legged one...

Lee Lifeson-Peart
06-04-11, 09:04

Where is the PK.

I gave it on LOT 15m in. Assessor said should have been 10m back in line with the non participants.

Any thoughts?

I'd say you were right with the PK on the LoT and 15m given the transgressor was a LO participant (or not a non participant as some University types are want to say).

nealed
06-04-11, 10:04

Where is the PK.

Any thoughts?

maul is formed from lineout
lineout not yet over as maul
what has the transgressing player actually done?

Dixie
06-04-11, 11:04
Ok - I side with the assessor.

Think of it this way: a lineout occurs between the 5m and 15m lines. By concession, lineout players get a different offside line than non-participants. The non-participants have to be 10m back from the LOT.

In order to remain a lineout player at a ruck or maul formed after the catch, the forwards have to stay in the 5m-15m zone. If they don't, they forfeit the status of lineout players and become non-participants. As such, their offside line is 10m back, and Lo! They are ahead of it.

As with any offside, the offence is penalised where the applicable line is, not where the offside player was standing in front of it.

Taff
06-04-11, 11:04
... I side with the assessor. Think of it this way: a lineout occurs between the 5m and 15m lines.The LO should take place between the 5m and 15m line.

... In order to remain a lineout player at a ruck or maul formed after the catch, the forwards have to stay in the 5m-15m zone. If they don't, they forfeit the status of lineout players and become non-participants.Don't they just become offside participating players? :chin:

Dixie
06-04-11, 12:04
Don't they just become offside participating players? :chin: Who says they are offside? If they are participating players, their offside line is the back foot. If they string out across the pitch to deny space to the backs, but stay behind the back foot, in what way are they offside under your approach?

OB..
06-04-11, 12:04
Law 19.14(e)
No player of either team participating in the lineout may leave the lineout until it has ended.
Sanction: Penalty kick on the 15m line

Taff
06-04-11, 13:04
Who says they are offside? If they are participating players, their offside line is the back foot. If they string out across the pitch to deny space to the backs, but stay behind the back foot, in what way are they offside under your approach?I just treat the 15m as an offside line until the LOs over. It keeps my head clearer. :D

Camquin
You cannot run infield, that is across the 15m line, unless there is a long throw.
So why should you be able to do so once the maul has formed - unless the maul itself moves across the 15m line?

Camquin

OB..
You cannot run infield, that is across the 15m line, unless there is a long throw.
So why should you be able to do so once the maul has formed - unless the maul itself moves across the 15m line?

Camquin

You can't. Law 19.14(e) says so.

nealed
06-04-11, 14:04
You can't. Law 19.14(e) says so.

so the offence here is "leaving the lineout early" and NOT offside
ok like that
i will look out for that a bit more cos i am sure that some players stay out of the maul and at the same time step over the 15 m