PDA

View Full Version : USA v Russia Churchill Cup Bowl Final 18 June

Simon Thomas
18-06-11, 13:06
8th minute clearance by USA to half way, QT to Russia #8.

Called back by Mr Pearson based on AR call (Roy Maybank ?) for foot in play on QT.

Hope you saw it Chopper ! :biggrin:

Taff
18-06-11, 13:06
Did the ref give a LO / Option to the USA? :chin:

Simon Thomas
18-06-11, 14:06
Russian full back did the "one foot in touch, one foot in play" trick when he caught it. And then did immediate QT with a full half stride foot in play.

Dave Pearson gave a full line out throw to Russia :chin:

I suspect it will be a discussion point with the Match Observer afterwards.

Taff
18-06-11, 14:06
Russian full back did the "one foot in touch, one foot in play" trick when he caught it. And then did immediate QT with a full half stride foot in play. Dave Pearson gave a full line out throw to Russia :chin:So the ref basically disallowed the QTI and let the offending team take a normal LO instead? Did it have an effect on the final result?

If it had happened to me, I think I would have given the oppos a LO/ Scrum option. :chin:

Pinky
18-06-11, 18:06
The law is a bit confusing as sometimes - I haven't checked where - it says to disallow the QT and at other times it says to give options (or the throw) to the opposition. Seems that elite refs don't often give options for errors like this. If this is what the IRB want, they should change the rules (sic):D

Davet
18-06-11, 19:06
Law is quite clear. If the quick throw is taken when it is not available (touched, new ball, etc.) then Play is called back and full lineout is awarded to throwing side. If the QT is taken illegally (foot in play, not 5, etc.) then the opposition get the option.

Camquin
18-06-11, 22:06
Just saw a lovely use of a QT in the JRWC on Sky - unfortunately I could not get away for a weekend in Italy.

White take a restart and put ball directly into touch.
Green catches the ball.
The White forwards gather at the centre.
Green player sees space and takes a QT just in his own half.
White have to scramble back and just stop the try.

Always remember - they have the option to accept the kick.

However I think the Green player actually took the throw between the point where it went into touch and the half way - so should probably have been called back.

Camquin

Taff
18-06-11, 23:06
.... I think the Green player actually took the throw between the point where it went into touch and the half way - so should probably have been called back.I think you'd be surprised how often that happens - and how often it doesn't get picked up.

Pinky
19-06-11, 01:06
19.2.c after lineout formed - quick throw disallowed, same team throw in to lineout
19.2.d same ball and not touched - quick throw is not permitted, same team throw in to lineout
19.2.e towards oppo line, not 5 or foot in fop - quick throw is disallowed, options to oppos
19.2.b throw from wrong place - does not explain what you do.

Sorry, but that is confusing to me. The phrase "QT is disallowed" means different things depending on why it is disallowed. I think it would be better if QT is disallowed only where the same team throw in at the lineout. In 19.2.e there is not need to say QT is disallowed. Also would be handy for the law to say what should happen where QT is from the wrong place. This is not defined in 19.2.b and 19.6 appers to apply only to a lineout throw and 19.7 applies only to incorrect throw at a lineouts.

Waspsfan
19-06-11, 08:06
Always remember - they have the option to accept the kick. However I think the Green player actually took the throw between the point where it went into touch and the half way - so should probably have been called back.

The line of touch is halfway it they kicked it straight out. In that case surely he can take a QT from anywhere in his half?

Camquin
19-06-11, 09:06
19.2 (b)
For a quick throw-in, the player may be anywhere outside the field of play between the place where the ball went into touch and the player’s goal line.

Camquin

Taff
19-06-11, 09:06
19.2 (b) For a quick throw-in, the player may be anywhere outside the field of play between the place where the ball went into touch and the player’s goal line.Exactly - the key words are "went to touch". And where the ball "went to touch" isn't always where the LO would be - in fact there could be a massive difference between the 2 places if there is no gain in ground.