PDA

View Full Version : Dump Tackles

Robert Burns
24-09-04, 23:09
Now I know rugby is a mans game, not for wimps, blah blah blah. but I don't like Dump tackles, I blow up for dangerous play if I see it done in School games, and always am in two minds as to blow it at adult level.

Problem is you see the top level do it all the time, but they are skilled, peak fitness athletes. The guys at my level are far from that.

It's basically picking someone up, turning them over and dropping them on their head, how much more dangerous can you actually get in a tackle?

What do you do, allow it?

Do you think it should be banned, personally I DO!

Be nice to see what those of you in levels above me think about it.

Pablo
27-09-04, 12:09
There's actually a very good (if slightly old) thread discussing this in the "Ask the National Panel" forum here (http://www.rugbyrefs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63) . Pop on over and have a look.

Robert Burns
27-09-04, 19:09
Forgot about that one, lol

didds
28-09-04, 09:09
what you describe is a spear tackle and is most definietly "illegal" as it is dangerous play.

A dump tackle is (IMO!) where the player is slung/thrown to the floor but lands "normally" ie on a back, or bum - it doesn't necessarily require a pick-up either - grabbing a shirt and pulling the player over with yourself could be called a dump tackle. Its illegal if it consitutes dangerous play - of course. But many "dump tackles" may be less "dangerous" that fullon, squared up, big hits.

IMO. natch.

didds

didds
28-09-04, 09:09
what you describe is a spear tackle and is most definietly "illegal" as it is dangerous play.

A dump tackle is (IMO!) where the player is slung/thrown to the floor but lands "normally" ie on a back, or bum - it doesn't necessarily require a pick-up either - grabbing a shirt and pulling the player over with yourself could be called a dump tackle. Its illegal if it consitutes dangerous play - of course. But many "dump tackles" may be less "dangerous" than fullon, squared up, big hits.

IMO. natch.

didds

Robert Burns
28-09-04, 21:09
Most dump tackles I see as you correectly point out do end up on the back, but normally the top, near the neck. Doesn't take much to become a head hit. imo

Davet
29-09-04, 12:09
Its the turning them over bit that I think makes it illegal.

If a player puts in a big hit, grasping his opponent, and taking him into the air, following through naturally and going to ground then that is hard but OK.

If the tackler twists his opponent round in the air so as to drive him into the ground with his upper body downmost then that is a spear tackle and dangerous play in my book.

But it can be a fine line. I would edge on the side of safety and if if I am in doubt then I would blow it, but probably not card, The call would be along the lines "Dangerous - I think it was accidental, but take care - penalty here - get back 10!" If no doubt then I would either call loudly, "Fair Tackle - Play on!" or Blow and probably card.