PDA

View Full Version : Whistle Choice

Robert Burns
30-05-05, 12:05
I have those wrist straps, no idea where i go them from, I am going to try out the Tornado this year, I will let you know.

Simon Griffiths
Did the chicken come before the egg? :confused:

Another one of life's great mysteries.

Until the beginning of the spring, I had been using the Thunderer 63 - very small and very loud, but a little too high pitched. On the advice of an assessor I replaced it with another larger whistle, one with a deeper tone - the 58 mentioned above.

One week later, I was given a 58.5 (I needn't have bothered buying one), but being a semi-supersticious person, after having a distinctly average first outing with it (as I tested it), I went straight back to my recent purchase of the 58 (which I had previously performed admirably with).

I don't personally have a preference between the 58 and 58.5, both very good for rugby, but I do miss my 63 because with a large crowd it cut straight through the noise being very loud and of a slightly higher pitch - not the best for rugby though.

Simon Griffiths
Robert, just read your post.

Warning: Do not blow the Tornado too hard - with the way the air flows through it, you will end up permenantly damaging your hearing - I almost did. It's very, very, very loud (and that's at a great distance - I read that it can be heard over three miles away given correct parameters) and when it's aimed directly into your ears it hurts!

I too have the elasticated wrist bands - I've got three or four (one for each whistle) - I think our finance manager was sent some by the Referees Dept. at the RFU.

Robert Burns
30-05-05, 13:05
This is what you mean, and you can get them here for 2 each, cheapest I could find in UK, You do need to ring them though, not online ordering. think I'll set up a resourses forum.

http://www.juscossports.com/currentRefereeProducts.php?pageNum_rsOfficialsProd ucts=1&totalRows_rsOfficialsProducts=7

Robert Burns
30-05-05, 13:05
What about this?

http://www.newitts.com/product/OS-221/Molten_Electronic_Whistle.htm&etp=dealtime&WT.mc_id=dealtime&WT.mc_t=feed&WT.mc_r=60

OB..
30-05-05, 14:05
It looks to me as if you might be able to "blow" that electronic whistle by accident.

Mat 04
30-05-05, 16:05
I can just see it now, biggest fight ever, absolutely pissing it down, battery dies, ref in the middle..................just stop for a minute and think about it - A very funny story to tell there lol :D

threegatesexpress
30-05-05, 22:05
I'm converting to the plastic Thunderer next season. I managed to chip a front tooth towards the end of the season when a careless (I hope) U17 lock managed to catch my elbow as my metal whistle went to lip.

Maybe I should dust off the mouthguard instead. That might get an interesting response as I start the match - quite a statement of intent, the ref who is prepared for contact!

Mike Whittaker
30-05-05, 23:05
Ever thought of wearing a head guard as well?! and very prominent shoulder pads??
About time a few front row forwards were intimidated by the ref....

Will
31-05-05, 00:05
My Thunderer came with a rubber guard for the top of the whistle, so the metal part does not make contact with my teeth, only the rubber guard does...the draw back is that at the end of the game your mouth feels very very dry...and if you have more than one game, you struggle.

I wash it thoroughly at the end of the games, and put it in the freezer whilst it is wet...it keeps it in good condition!

Deeps
31-05-05, 02:05
There's no answer to that.

Robert Burns
31-05-05, 08:05
I have only ever used a plastic one, wouldn't dream of using a metal one on a game.

Mike Whittaker
31-05-05, 09:05
Although I always used a metal one, I had plastic one one a lace around neck. Latter useful when fell on the other one in the mud..(too often an occurrence!!) and on one occasion when ref on close adjoining pitch had identical whistle and players kept stopping at wrong times. But then surely all of us carried a spare whistle????

Robert Burns
31-05-05, 10:05
And Pencil too, I'm not part of the two watch brigade though, I don't think watches are that unreliable these days.

OB..
31-05-05, 11:05
One stop watch, one for running time? Have you never pressed the stop button in error?

Simon Griffiths
31-05-05, 11:05
I always have two watches. One which I stop at stoppages and a running watch. That means that if I'm unreliable and forget to restart the watch after a stoppage I've got some idea where abouts we are in the match.

Plus, on a sneaky note, if it's a rubbish game and everyone's got it in for you (or you've simply had enough) you can stop and reset the 'stopped' watch and use the running watch to show we've played 40 minutes (it means you haven't played stoppage time though!).

Robert Burns
31-05-05, 13:05
I have a watch that does both, in addition it has a rotation on the face, so I can set the 0 to the minute hand, this gives me a running time as well as the normal digi display. so all still 1 watch.

Pablo
31-05-05, 13:05
In full agreement with OB and Noddy - one watch for stopping time, one for running. System works like a charm...

Robert Burns
31-05-05, 14:05
so you wear two watches?

Same wrist or one on each?

PeterTC
One on each. Stop the left one like I would any normal watch (being right handed) and just start the other one at the start of the game.

Being multi-functional digital watches, it also allows me to time more than one sin-bin, and/or blood injuries.

Robert Burns
I've always just skipped through the functions on the one watch.

Bryan
31-05-05, 15:05
I used to use one watch but found that in instances when I had sin-binned players I would forget about them and they'd be in the bin for a few minutes longer than normal- not a totally bad thing at times, mind you...

Interesting that you have a countdown timer and a stopwatch for "sneaky purposes". I employ the mercy-rule, or when players ask for time left will get a vague response such as "just a bit". I also have a stopwatch running on the same watch incase I press the wrong button and reset the timer by accident, or I stop the timer (for an injury) and then forget to restart it, only realising it 10 minutes later.

I use one watch for a 40 min. countdown timer and count-up clock, and the other watch for 10 min. Sin Bin countdown timer and Blood-Bin time (only 15 minutes before the temporary sub becomes a permanent replacement).

-Bryan

Robert Burns
If i am honest I never use the watch for sinbins or bloods.

I write them on my card as time will have stopped, players will remind you as time gets close should you forget, but normally they always get back on as soon as play stops after the time.

Mike Whittaker
Remember once using a (cheap) digital watch under (poor) floodlights... couldn't see a thing and had left good old analogue at home!! Now that is the time you can make your TJ really useful. "Gentlemen... the time and score is with you!" Worked very well in practice.
Really must get this delegation of responsibility sorted out so that ref can handle the important issues on the pitch and forget the admin....

Robert Burns
31-05-05, 16:05
yeah, there is that, I'm sure we have all had the..."Are you sure that was the score Sir?" Which means you probably missed a Penalty/conversion mark somewhere.

jamesc37
27-06-05, 23:06
well wen i start out i will be using the acme thunderer even though i know that madref had alot of problems with his

jay

Chris Picard
01-07-05, 02:07
Not sure of the sizes but I have three different Acme Thunderers. I prefer the larger size, more distinctive sound. However, when multiple matches are occuring, I rely on a high pitch whistle.

For the count, I also use two watches. One a countdown timer, which I start and stop and the other is running time.

As for sin bins and blood bins, I mark the time on the score card (I like to keep the info for post-match reports, when necessary).

ExHookah
18-07-05, 17:07
Using the metal 58.5 Acme Thunderer, partly because this is what the USA Rugby Adminsitrators send you as a gift when you pass your exam. I know guys who tape the tip of it though, to stop themselves from chipping their teeth. I've come close myself a couple of times.

Looking towards wearing two watches as well, need more than with bins and blood.

Robert Burns
18-07-05, 17:07
Well,

I have been using the Acme Tornado T2000 now for about 5 weeks, and I can say that it is very good, gets the attention on second blow everytime, great for killing the eardrums of the players are reducing the fight to a bunch of earholding men.

Takes a week or so to figure the tone out, needs more puff than a normal whistle, all in all, currently very happy with it and will carry on my assessment of it for the start of the season.

*chuffed with my choice*

Padster
17-10-07, 08:10
I have been using an ultrasonic cleaner(meant for jewellery, watches and small parts generally) to keep my whistles in good condition. Works brilliantly.

tim White
17-10-07, 18:10
Is this the cleaner for the type of whistle players cannot hear?;)

Gareth-Lee Smith
17-10-07, 18:10
Wow, old thread.

Acme Thunderer, and I'll off to boil/freeze mine now - it could do with a good clean.

bass
20-10-07, 00:10
evryone has given advice about whistles but where do you get them from?:chin: .my acme was given to me about 8yrs ago and is still in service!

PeterH
just google for acme thunderer - lots of socs have them too...
or ask a local ref :)

Sam1707
But don't contact the ACME people direct. I know the treasurer for one of my societies contacted them looking to put in a big order for the society. He thought he was just going to buy some Acme Thunderers. The salesman really knew his stuff and I think the treasurer found out more about whistles than he wanted/needed to know :biggrin:

Simon Griffiths
20-10-07, 01:10
So Robert - still using the Tornado, or have the ears threatened industrial action!? :D

Interesting reading back through that some people would only use plastic (is this purely a teeth thing), I would only use a metal whistle. Although, does it really make a difference?

I'm still using the 58 - only one I've really used since I got it. Just been on the ACME website and pleased to see it has a brass pea, so I'll give the whistle its first proper clean.

bass, of my four whistles (only three I've really used as the Tornado hurts my ears to much) I have bought three and had one given to me by a panel ref I ran touch for who didn't like his new purchase. Happens to be my favourite whistle, so, winners all round.

dave_clark
20-10-07, 19:10
on advice from this thread (well, that and the unavailability of other recommendations), i did my first senior match of the season today with the thunderer 58.5. far better than the pile of poo i got from JJB last week :)

big fish
20-10-07, 20:10
i use the metal one (i believe its a thunderer) which was sent to me by the RFU when i passed my ELRA. I have two plastic back ups but they are nowhere near as good.

Phil E
01-02-08, 11:02
Being (probably) one of the newest referees on here. I use the acme thunderer (58.5) of which I have two. One was given to me as part of my ELRA course along with a set of red and yellow cards. The other one was given me by my society (along with a set of red and yellow cards!).

I also have a brass thunderer which I bought myself for coaching prior to becoming a referee, I wouldnt reccomend the brass ones though as they tarnish very quickly. www.reflog.co.uk have the Thunderer 58.5 for 6.50 and an extra 1.95 gets you a good wrist lanyard. I think they are actually cheaper than the www.acmewhistles.co.uk web site.

The Thunderer I got as part of my ELRA course has a Community Rugby English Rose engraved on the side of it. This was of particular amusement to the refs on the course from the non-English parts of Great Britain :D

Greg Collins
01-02-08, 12:02
if you have the dough you might want to cough up for a different model of thunderer which produces a different tone to your favourite in case you end up on adjoining pitches to another ref with the same whistle which can confuse both you and the players....! (seriously, especially at sevens tournaments)

PS Did you get the too big for your pocket YC & RC on your ELRA? I use soccer ones from Rucanor in a match card wallet and the ELRA ones as coasters at home. THe match card set makes sense as it you need to card someone you probably need to be making a note of it....

Phil E
01-02-08, 13:02
PS Did you get the too big for your pocket YC & RC on your ELRA?

Yes I did, I use them as duvet covers on the kids beds.

I use the Ruccanor wallet as well, its good becasue the wallet is stiff making it easier to write on.

I adapted a score sheet by taking a rugby one and a soccer one and amalgamating them both in Microsoft Excel to include everythig I wanted.

If I can work out how I will attach it fo ranyone interested to download and print off.

ExHookah
01-02-08, 15:02
Speaking of the whistles with the English rose on them, I know Chris Picard was looking into getting whistles made up with the USA rugby logo on them, but I think he stopped because of the cost, and also because whistle choice is so particular.

Instead he ordered special coins, with the USA Rugby logo on one side (heads) and the New England Ref Soc logo on the other. These are fabulous looking things, and have been great for gifts on exchange etc. Gotta make sure I hold on to enough for my own use though, I've lost a couple already.

ExHookah
10-03-08, 21:03
Had a first this past weekend. Metro NY Division 1, NY-Manhattan RFC vs Union County (N.J.) RFC.

Refereeing in an absolute monsoon, to the point that my ACME Thunderer got waterlogged and the pea stopped working. So I switched to my incredibly obnoxious ACME Tornado for the second half.

It may be popular with the FIFA lads, but I've only used it twice before, both times in tournament settings to avoid clashing with a neighboring pitch. This time mine was the only match going on, and the players commented afterwards that it is certainly much easier to hear than the Thunderer, but that they much prefer the sound of Thunderer.

Phil E
10-03-08, 22:03
Looking at the voting for this thread, would the referee who uses a dog whistle please bark to make him/her self known?

SimonSmith
26-03-08, 22:03
The dog whistle isn't for me, it's for my guide dog.

bcaulfield
27-03-08, 00:03
As to whistle cleaning, I have heard that when the whistle has been soaked in water, it is possible to use a pair of thin nosed pliers to compress the cork pea for extraction and a good scrub. I mean, the great question has to be did they manufacture the whistle in two halves and wrap the pieces around the pea or did they insert the pea afterwards? If they got it in then it must come out!

Can't speak to the pea insertion issue. I boil my two Thunderers once a month or so and put them into the freezer. Supposedly the freezer part locks the moisture into the pea.

upnunder
27-01-09, 15:01
I have just been on the acme website and bought a couple of the 660s and a lanyard.

Used a Fox40 in the past, which was pretty good, but having used the Thunderer on the ELRA last weekend, I prefer the sound of it.

Dixie
27-01-09, 16:01
having used the Thunderer on the ELRA last weekend, I prefer the sound of it.Accept no substitutes! You can judge the quality of a sports shop by the whistle it stocks. A serious shop caters to serious refs.

upnunder
27-01-09, 17:01
I am keeping my RFU issue Thunderer safely in it's packaging, it may be worth something one day, and I got stung on opening the packaging on my Star Wars toys in the past, I am not making that mistake again.

The ACME website was a bargain- 5 thunderers for 1.32 each.

Dixie
I got stung on opening the packaging on my Star Wars toys in the past, I am not making that mistake again.Apply that logic to your breakfast cereal and you'll starve!

chopper15
Why not an electronically generated whistle sound?

Should that parrot be watching, you could then ring up another tone instead of banishing it from the park. :clap:

Simon Thomas
27-01-09, 18:01

Should that parrot be watching, you could then ring up another tone instead of banishing it from the park. :clap:

Chopper - which of the 99 available tones should I select ?

Bill Lee
30-08-09, 23:08
Silly bugger.... chopper15.

The Thunderer every time, and always carry a spare. You only need to be flattened in the mud once...its not easy trying to get a noise of any sort out of a whistle full of mud & trying to stop play before it gets too far away from you.......It only happens once.

Apparently 93.33% of the poll go for the Thunderer.

PS clean with wife's tooth brush. it may not be just mud.

nealed
31-08-09, 00:08
had op on mouth, with hole in roof of mouth now!! ouch
is there a whistle out there that requires very little blowing?
cant ref for a few weeks but when i do, the easier life is on the blowing the better.
have thunder x2, but does require quite a blow

Phil E
31-08-09, 00:08
had op on mouth, with hole in roof of mouth now!! ouch
is there a whistle out there that requires very little blowing?
cant ref for a few weeks but when i do, the easier life is on the blowing the better.
have thunder x2, but does require quite a blow

Acme website gives blow rates, from easiest effort to most effort. See below:

Blow Me! (http://acmewhistles.co.uk/xcart/pages.php?pageid=11)

nealed
31-08-09, 05:08
Acme website gives blow rates, from easiest effort to most effort. See below:

Blow Me! (http://acmewhistles.co.uk/xcart/pages.php?pageid=11)

thanks thats helpful as it puts the thunderer 58 and 58.5 which i have as quite difficult to blow
right need to get easy blow even if sound not quite right
site really good as gives sound too

nealed
31-08-09, 06:08
looks like thunderer 60.5 or 660
both quite high pitched, but to be honest ease of blow is the most important thing for me at the moment
anyone used either?

Deeps
31-08-09, 13:08
Nealed - If you PM me with an address, I can willingly send you a new 60.5 courtesy of the Hampshire Society; we have been trying to get rid of two of these for years. Mind you, you and the players will tire very quickly of its very high pitched and annoying squeak which is not unlike a dog whistle.

nealed
31-08-09, 13:08
Nealed - If you PM me with an address, I can willingly send you a new 60.5 courtesy of the Hampshire Society; we have been trying to get rid of two of these for years. Mind you, you and the players will tire very quickly of its very high pitched and annoying squeak which is not unlike a dog whistle.

thanks deeps
despite the annoying squeek i think the ease of blow is most important

Taff
29-10-09, 01:10
Just wondered what your choice of whistle ..... Oh, and do you take two with you onto the pitch?In the last 2 months, I've seen 2 refs suffer duff whistles. One was in an Ospreys game on TV and the other was in my boys District game. In both cases, the refs just reached into their pocket and pulled out a spare.

We had a young ref over here from Sydney, Churchie, and he told me that all new referees in Australia had to learn how to play tunes on the whistle, as it were. .... I suspect he may have been having me on.I'm not sure if he was winding you up Mr Whittaker. When I did my WRU Level 1 course, the ref in charge told us that good refs were expected to be able to play a tune on their whistle, to adjust the tone during the game. Sadly, he didn't tell us how to adjust the tone.

In fact all my whistle blowing sounds monotonous (only the volume changes) and I was thinking of starting a thread on how to get it right. The only reason I haven't, was because it may appear such a stupid question - and I've already exceeded my quota of stupid questions for this month. :o

Dickie E
29-10-09, 11:10

I think there's merit in this idea. Wouldn't even need to be a whistle sound. Maybe we could carry one of these ...

Adam
29-10-09, 14:10
In the last 2 months, I've seen 2 refs suffer duff whistles. One was in an Ospreys game on TV and the other was in my boys District game. In both cases, the refs just reached into their pocket and pulled out a spare.

I'm not sure if he was winding you up Mr Whittaker. When I did my WRU Level 1 course, the ref in charge told us that good refs were expected to be able to play a tune on their whistle, to adjust the tone during the game. Sadly, he didn't tell us how to adjust the tone.

In fact all my whistle blowing sounds monotonous (only the volume changes) and I was thinking of starting a thread on how to get it right. The only reason I haven't, was because it may appear such a stupid question - and I've already exceeded my quota of stupid questions for this month. :o

For me, whistle tone wasn't an issue. It came naturally, even though I'd never properly been to rugby matches before I started refereeing (Wendyball family and all that). Just get out there for a few matches, ignore the TV referees' whistle tones and remember, power is generated by air pressure through the whistle, so don't puff out cheeks!

From what I remember, we did a thread on Whistle Tone (http://www.rugbyrefs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8209) a while ago.

Phil E
29-10-09, 16:10
If you want to play tunes, your going to need one of these:

Taff
29-10-09, 16:10
.... It came naturally ..... From what I remember, we did a thread on Whistle Tone (http://www.rugbyrefs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8209) a while ago.Thanks Mr Carter, Somehow I'd missed that thread. :o

I only joined at the tail end of Aug and I think I was still finding my way around.

Drift
01-04-10, 00:04
I have an Thunderer as it was what was recommended by the ref coach who was running my foundation course. I have 2 now after reffing a grand final last year but I won't use that one. Interesting to see people take 2 whistles on the pitch with them, it makes sense but the thought had never crossed my mind to be honest.
I only have 1 watch but it has several countdown timers and stopwatchs so I only need the 1. I have been looking for a whistle loop as at the moment I am just using a thin lanyard which I can wrap around my wrist, and I have been trying to find a whistle loop which has a sweatband on it as I do tend to work up quite a big sweat whilst running around.

Phil E
01-04-10, 10:04
I only have 1 watch but it has several countdown timers and stopwatchs so I only need the 1.

So what are you going to do when it stops mid match, or you get to the ground and find the battery has run out, or (as has happened to me) the strap breaks in the middle of a play? :nono:

Take two watches into the shower.....er match. Yes please. :biggrin:

Whistle straps.

Try the one made for the whistle.

Acme whistle lanyards 99p (http://acmewhistles.co.uk/xcart/product.php?productid=162&cat=12&page=1)

Simon Thomas
01-04-10, 10:04
I have an Thunderer as it was what was recommended by the ref coach who was running my foundation course. I have 2 now after reffing a grand final last year but I won't use that one. Interesting to see people take 2 whistles on the pitch with them, it makes sense but the thought had never crossed my mind to be honest.
I only have 1 watch but it has several countdown timers and stopwatchs so I only need the 1. I have been looking for a whistle loop as at the moment I am just using a thin lanyard which I can wrap around my wrist, and I have been trying to find a whistle loop which has a sweatband on it as I do tend to work up quite a big sweat whilst running around.

The Thunderer is best choice for pitch and frequency of sound (whistle of choice for British Railway guards for decades too).

I always have two whistles with me - in the past I have had a stuck pee (after whistle soaked in rain) and also have had a whistle clogged up with mud.

I always have two watches as well - one on each wrist. I have had a strap break (due to age and cold so went brittle), had a watch just stop and also arrived at a match to find battery has gone dead.

Taff
01-04-10, 21:04
... Interesting to see people take 2 whistles on the pitch with them, it makes sense but the thought had never crossed my mind to be honest.In 33 years of playing and watching rugby, I don't remember seeing one fail - then this season I saw 2 fail in 2 weeks. :wow: The first was live on telly and the second was a local U15 game. In both cases, the ref just gave it another blow, looked at it daft before calmly reaching into their pocket for a reserve. :clap:

tim White
01-04-10, 22:04
"Whistle Failure"- once is enough for anyone. They talk about the 'Long Walk' in cricket, it's an equally long walk to the changing room to get your spare whistle :o . After that I always carried a spare whistle (a smaller one, that was easier to carry in my pocket):o and always a second watch because too many buttons was always confusing in the heat of the moment:confused:

Drift
02-04-10, 01:04
So what are you going to do when it stops mid match, or you get to the ground and find the battery has run out, or (as has happened to me) the strap breaks in the middle of a play? :nono:

Take two watches into the shower.....er match. Yes please. :biggrin:

Whistle straps.

Try the one made for the whistle.

Acme whistle lanyards 99p (http://acmewhistles.co.uk/xcart/product.php?productid=162&cat=12&page=1)

Well for my normal watch I have just put in new batteries but for the Garmin watch I am getting you download the data to the computer via usb but that also charges the watch as it has a liquid ION battery (if memory serves me correctly) so I don't anticipate watch battery life to be a problem.
The 2 whistles is a good one and I will go out and get a new whistle tomorrow morning before a 7's tournament I am reffing.

dave_clark
02-04-10, 11:04
In 33 years of playing and watching rugby, I don't remember seeing one fail

happened to Wayne Barnes in a televised match a couple of seasons ago. he stopped the game by shouting "WHISTLE, WHISTLE, WHISTLE" at them until they complied. his TJ had the spare, and had to run it over.

regarding watches and pencils, i never used to carry more than one until my first society appointment. that was the first time than i needed both. since then, i've had a spare of each on me whenever reffing and a third of each in my society coat on the touchline. i've also carried spares when watching any of my club ELRA refs, in case their stuff breaks.

PaulDG
02-04-10, 12:04
I used to keep a spare whistle on the same lanyard as my normal whistle (I saw one of the football refs do this and thought it was a good idea).

But it was getting in the way a bit.

I tried keeping my spare in my pocket but was worried it'd fall out and I'd lose it.

And then one of our refs had his car keys stolen - taken, we think, from the changing rooms at my club!

So now I take my car keys onto the pitch with me. I've found that if I loop the lanyard of my spare whistle through them it forms the sort of tangle that it hard to get out of my shorts pocket and so isn't likely to fall out when running around.

Bit of a 'killing both birds with one stone' effect - I can keep valuables in the car and keep the car keys safe and I have a spare whistle!

dave_clark
02-04-10, 13:04
do people not put all valuables in a sock and leave behind the bar any more? that's what i've done at both of the club's i've reffed at, and nobody thought it odd...

Phil E
02-04-10, 16:04
do people not put all valuables in a sock and leave behind the bar any more? that's what i've done at both of the club's i've reffed at, and nobody thought it odd...

I leave everything like my phone, wallet etc in the car. Single car key in my pocket. Our shorts have really deep pockets.

I did hear a story about a player who joned a club. Played for a couple of weeks. Then he came off injured next match. Showered, asked for the valuable bag................then legged it with the whole teams valuables.

PaulDG
02-04-10, 17:04

Many clubs' bars are not manned during the whole match and so that may not be at all safe.

Also you're open to the "the ref/away side captain sent me to get his stuff" attack. (Well known by all the tea leaves around Northampton)

Taff
02-04-10, 19:04
I leave everything like my phone, wallet etc in the car. Single car key in my pocket. Our shorts have really deep pockets.Leaving all valuables (wallet, mobile etc) in the boot of the car is probably the best idea if you think about it logically. Eg my car has a better alarm system than my house, and if the alarm goes off I can see the car from the pitch and get to it in 20 seconds flat. :wink:

crossref
03-04-10, 14:04
just this season I have had
- watch failure (battery) :-( I had to borrow one from a coach. Luckily it was at half time so no timekeeping issue just embarrassment
- boot failure (!) the sole split completely on my boot. I had to stop the game and change my shoes (luckily my trainers were pitch side)

most extraordinary hilarity from spectators, players and coaches.

andyscott
03-04-10, 14:04
Our shorts have really deep pockets

Are they scottish?

Lenin1924
10-08-10, 16:08
Just ordered my Acme Thunderer - cant wait for the new season !

Deeps
11-08-10, 01:08
Just ordered my Acme Thunderer - cant wait for the new season !

May I ask how much you paid for it and why you have not bought two?

Lenin1924
16-08-10, 20:08
Yes you may ask.

It cost me £5 (including postage). I have an older Acme Thunderer from a couple of years ago when I helped out with Mini rugby so that's now my back-up whistle.

Deeps
17-08-10, 01:08
Yes you may ask.

It cost me 5 (including postage). I have an older Acme Thunderer from a couple of years ago when I helped out with Mini rugby so that's now my back-up whistle.

Glad you have the back up. It was an honest question as I run the haberdashery for Hampshire and am always looking for new sources of products; I would be grateful if you would let me know from whom you purchased said whistle?

SimonSmith
17-08-10, 02:08
I have an older Acme Thunderer from a couple of years ago when I helped out with Mini rugby so that's now my back-up whistle.

In great Soviet of Referees, referee not have whistle - whistle have referee.

I have to ask - Lenin1924. Because? (I mean, I get the significance of the date, but it's an unusual usrname...)

Phil E
17-08-10, 13:08
Glad you have the back up. It was an honest question as I run the haberdashery for Hampshire and am always looking for new sources of products; I would be grateful if you would let me know from whom you purchased said whistle?

Deeps

Have you written to Acme themselves asking for a price?
If you are buying in any sort of quantity I am sure they would give you a deal?
They also do very nice wrist lanyards now.

Simon Topman Chief Executive
info@acmewhistles.co.uk.removethislastbit
Tel: 0121 554 2124

gillburt
17-08-10, 15:08
I have three Acmes - each with a different pitch (I haven;t managed to play tune yet)

In addition I have two plastic whistles that I happily loan out, but never use myself.

In addition, I have a bag of 50(ish) presharpened pencils and a ream of A4 blank paper, two pairs of rugby boots and a clean towel. For my day job, I regularly cart about 30-40 rugby balls, 150+ cones, 100+tag belts, 50 bibs, a few crash pads, a waterproof box containing my 86 CRBs, and about half a tonne of mud between October and early March. On top of that there is a regular ad ever changing lost property haul of tracksuits, club tops, boots, water bottles and half chewed gumshields left lying around.

I think I put my son in the back once. Haven't seen him since.

The car smells like a farm, looks like a farmyard and drives like a tractor.

No self respecting thief would be seen breaking in to it.

The umpire
17-08-10, 20:08
Deeps

With a name like that, what other job could he possibly have:D

Drift
08-09-10, 04:09
Deeps

Have you written to Acme themselves asking for a price?
If you are buying in any sort of quantity I am sure they would give you a deal?
They also do very nice wrist lanyards now.

info@acmewhistles.co.uk.removethislastbit
Tel: 0121 554 2124

The lanyards are awesome. I have 3 of them which have my whistles on them and they are a lot better than the old one I was using in the past.

Rit Hinners
08-09-10, 06:09
I always preferred the ring type whistle depicted in the advertisement the link listed. No lanyard necessary and no groping to catch the whistle.

Iron_Lung
08-09-10, 08:09
I always preferred the ring type whistle depicted in the advertisement the link listed. No lanyard necessary and no groping to catch the whistle.

I would have said the same until I watched a ref dislocate his fingers using one. I use the same lanyard as Oli and find that it sits up quite nicely into my hand if you use the separator to create two loops and put one around your wrist and the other over your thumb.

Lenin1924
08-09-10, 15:09
In great Soviet of Referees, referee not have whistle - whistle have referee.

I have to ask - Lenin1924. Because? (I mean, I get the significance of the date, but it's an unusual usrname...)

I did a degree in Russian from 2002-2007 and lived in Moscow in 2004/05. Got to drink in the Moscow Dragons Rugby Club pub. :D

Now just entering my last year of law school before starting work in September 2011.

Lenin1924

It was just off an Ebay seller. Name escapes me at the moment. Will have a look for you.

dave_clark
No self respecting thief would be seen breaking in to it.

i should make my car more like yours. the other weekend i was in Liverpool (brother in law getting married, i certainly didn't go there for fun) and, first night, my car got broken into. they stole nothing. they even looked through all of my CDs, and rejected every single one.

Taff
08-09-10, 16:09
i should make my car more like yours. the other weekend i was in Liverpool (brother in law getting married, i certainly didn't go there for fun) and, first night, my car got broken into. they stole nothing. they even looked through all of my CDs, and rejected every single one.There's got to be a joke in there somewhere. :D

Dixie
08-09-10, 16:09
Don't tell me they couldn't even be bothered to nick your wheels? What cr&p are you driving?