PDA

View Full Version : Referees' watches

johnH
20-08-12, 09:08
My old stopwatch has finally given up the ghost and needs replacing before the beginning of the season! It is/was a Polar MT51 heart rate monitor watch which I used since starting with Hampshire RURS in 1999 and I'd like something new that has at least equivalent functions and a good big stopwatch display.

Any recommendations for a replacement unit?

Drift
Garmin forerunner, also track GPS and calories burnt based on your height, weight, speed etc.

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s20/chillimanwastaken/cf-lg-1.jpg

Not a countdown timer though so if that is an issue for you don't get this watch.

Simon Thomas
My old stopwatch has finally given up the ghost and needs replacing before the beginning of the season! It is/was a Polar MT51 heart rate monitor watch which I used since starting with Hampshire RURS in 1999 and I'd like something new that has at least equivalent functions and a good big stopwatch display.

OMG - we should have a brief silence in memorium at this evening's Society Meeting.

TNT88
http://www.gshock.com/watches/?id=0E47037F-CCED-482E-946E-F2546E3380A8&pline=6F3120BC-F20B-469A-A4CD-B2DC9943F085

Easy to use and never fails me.

(the specs of if and it's functions are down the page a bit)

PeterH
fastime 15 - great watch - with cheaper g-shock on other wrist ;)

Robert Burns
20-08-12, 10:08
I have the casio refs watch, great watch as it has the vibrate function to tell me it's half/full time so I know but the players don't.

Taff
20-08-12, 12:08
I have the casio refs watch, great watch as it has the vibrate function to tell me it's half/full time so I know but the players don't.For the perfect Refs watch, I think the vibrate feature is essential. If my G-Schock could vibrate, I couldn't fault it.

crossref
I use the Casio. It's great, although the numbers are little too small for me. I wish they did an oversize version.
The only beef on it is that the mode button can sometimes be pushed accidentally - flex your wrist and it can be depressed just enough - which is alarming, as you look down and the display says 00:00:00 or something (!), but just switch the model round to countdown again and everything is still there.

My other watch is a Timex Ironman, which I actually like better as it's easier to read (larger numbers) but it doesn't have a vibrate, which I think for all sorts of reasons is better than a buzzer.

Dickie E
I've got a $12 cheapie from Kmart

Bryan
20-08-12, 13:08
I've ante'd up to the timex HRM trainer, with a massive display and touch-sensor:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51kE31%2ByhSL._AA300_.jpg

crossref
20-08-12, 14:08
I've ante'd up to the timex HRM trainer, with a massive display and touch-sensor:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51kE31%2ByhSL._AA300_.jpg

cool watch
does it have a vibrate option?
I was worried by some reviews that said the touch sensitive screen was too sensitive, and could get 'pressed' by rain, or accidental contact with your clothing. A bit risky in a rugby-game where it's not unknown to have slight contact with players.

Lee Lifeson-Peart
20-08-12, 15:08
I use this:-

Phil E spotted them on Amazon for 20 (the tight get) a few years ago - so I swooped (the tight get)

I think they are about 40-50

I like the vibrate - set it for 42 mins as above:biggrin:

I also like that the stop watch runs at elapsed time (lower reading) and stop/start time upper reading.

Phil E
Have a look here:
http://www.referee-equipment.co.uk/Catalogue/Accessories/Watches-HRM
I have two of the Casio Referee Timers.

The spec of the Spintso watch sounds really good.

crossref
I use this:-

I also like that the stop watch runs at elapsed time (lower reading) and stop/start time upper reading.

i have that watch - and I didn't even know I could do that.
must RTFM

Phil E
i have that watch - and I didn't even know I could do that.
must RTFM

I met a bloke last season who'd had one for two years and didn't know it had a vibrate function!!!

Robert Burns
20-08-12, 16:08
How about this one?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/130673666521

Bryan
cool watch
does it have a vibrate option?
I was worried by some reviews that said the touch sensitive screen was too sensitive, and could get 'pressed' by rain, or accidental contact with your clothing. A bit risky in a rugby-game where it's not unknown to have slight contact with players.

No vibrate option.

It allows you to adjust the sensitivity of the "tap", so it has not become an issue in games so far (though I havent yet refereed in the rain).

johnH
How about this one?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/130673666521

No thanks, missing a vibrate function :yellow:

Womble
20-08-12, 17:08
Just give one of these to your advisor, He'll let you know when time is up!

upnunder
23-08-12, 23:08
I use the Casio Referee watch on one wrist, and have my Garmin 110 on the other to track my pace and distance.

johnH
25-08-12, 10:08
Thanks for all the replies. Casio Referee Watch ordered from Amazon, plus a basic HRM for exercise purposes.

crossref
08-09-12, 17:09

getting my watch out ready for tomorrow's game I checked this again, and I remember what's wrong with it.

set the event time (ie 40 mins for an adult game)
press start

and you do indeed get two displays, one that you can stop start (playing time) and one that keeps going (elapsed time)

but the buzzer buzzes at 40 minutes elapsed time. D'Oh!
no buzzer for game-time.

So that's why I don't use it.

I use the timer mode which counts down backwards from 40 (or whatever) with stop/start and a buzzer at zero. It also shows time of day at the same time, an I make a note on my score-card of the time I start the half.

Dixie
08-09-12, 20:09
and you do indeed get two displays, one that you can stop start (playing time) and one that keeps going (elapsed time) How do get the split screen up?

Anyone owning a Casio RFT-100 for any length of time will know that its weak spot is its strap - and that when it breaks on the male part of the strap, it has to be sent away to Casio to be repaired, at a cost in excess of 20, to add insult to the time you are without it.

I have 2 RFT-100 watches with broken straps. Just bought the cheapest, nastiest plastic strap I could find (2 for a tenner) and superglued the male part to the remains of the original strap. Works a treat!

Robert Burns
09-09-12, 02:09
I got to see Nigel Owen's Graham watch on Thurs, not the one he got for the 6 nations (Worth about 5k), but a gifted one (worth about 9k) they are big, but a very good looking watch.

Dickie E
09-09-12, 04:09
I got to see Nigel Owen's Graham watch on Thurs, not the one he got for the 6 nations (Worth about 5k), but a gifted one (worth about 9k) they are big, but a very good looking watch.

Did you have to show him anything in return? :wales:

macleod33
23-09-12, 14:09
I invested in the Timex global trainer with heart rate monitor. Received it this week and tried it out yesterday in a U17 7's tournament.
The GPS takes a few minutes to hook up that lead to a bit of stress as I like to have everything sorted out way before the kick-off.
Prior to the purchase, I checked up with timex for specific features, especially having an independant count down. Unfortunately, Timex confirmed that this watch didn't have this feature. I went ahead all the same and I've started sifting through the many features, but I haven't found the count down menu yet.
for the match yesterday, I customised the screen to have a stop watch (with stop-start feature), a stop watch that keeps going and the time of the day. You have to keep a close eye on the time not to go beyond full time.
once back at home, I loaded the stats into the Training Peaks web site and I got all the stats : distance, heart rate, speed....... There is also a Google Earth window where you can follow your mouvements around the pitch. You can also play back the match and observe the stats. It's great fun!!!
For my 3 matchs :
Time : 39 min
Distance: 3.5 km
Average speed : 5.2 km/h
top speed : 29.3 km/h

Simon Taylor
28-12-14, 09:12

I've just created an App for Pebble watches that provides a match timer, card timers and score keeper. I'd be interested to hear any feedback on the program and its use.

http://simontaylor.wordpress.com/2014/12/26/pebble-development-a-first-app/https://simontaylor.files.wordpress.com/2014/12/unknown-3.png?w=450