PDA

View Full Version : Why are the top teams allowed to feed?

JLomey
16-12-03, 13:12
Whenever I watch a game on telly the scrumhalfs always seem to feed, why is it allowed there and not at the levels that i used to play at?

and a second question please:

How are the referees connected to the touch judges, I know they have an earpiece and mike for the video refs, do the touch judges also have these and can talk to the ref during play?

Plod
20-12-03, 10:12
Whenever I watch a game on telly the scrumhalfs always seem to feed, why is it allowed there and not at the levels that i used to play at?

and a second question please:

How are the referees connected to the touch judges, I know they have an earpiece and mike for the video refs, do the touch judges also have these and can talk to the ref during play?
Answer to question = bad TV angles!!!!
Answer question 2 =Three types of microphone link to the refs. At Premiership level it is a three way system in so much as the two touches hear what each other says to the ref and what he says in return when they open the system. If the game is televised it is an open system provided by Sky TV in that the touch judges hear constantly what the ref is saying to the players and he will hear constantly what the touch judges are saying.
the final system is the flags that have built in microphones enabling the topuch judges to speak to the referee when required. With tht system they canot hear the referee at any stage.

Robert Burns
21-12-03, 00:12
Whats the best system in your opinion Plod?

penrose
23-12-03, 21:12
If we ref'd a gameas seen on TV we would be lynched! THe so called guards at the breakdowns who stand off side the fed ball at the scrum and a myriad other faults I can only assume are let go to provide a spectacle for the TV personally I think all refs at this level should try ref'ing a game at the lower levels within the rules I suspect they could not
Answer to question = bad TV angles!!!!
Answer question 2 =Three types of microphone link to the refs. At Premiership level it is a three way system in so much as the two touches hear what each other says to the ref and what he says in return when they open the system. If the game is televised it is an open system provided by Sky TV in that the touch judges hear constantly what the ref is saying to the players and he will hear constantly what the touch judges are saying.
the final system is the flags that have built in microphones enabling the topuch judges to speak to the referee when required. With tht system they canot hear the referee at any stage.

Plod
26-12-03, 17:12
Whats the best system in your opinion Plod?
the system that allows the touch judges to hear all that the referees say's, and hears what the other touch says, but does not relay to the uneducated person called Stuart Barnes of Sky TV who sits as judge to condem the officals, yet has an understandiong of law less than a novice referee.

didds
27-01-04, 11:01
I ws at a "meet the ref" thuing a few months back ran by a a ZP club's supporters association. Present was a Zp ref ....

He begamn by stating that he doesn't blow the laws... he merely polices the contact areas! A brave explanation albeit an honest one!

that probably answers your query, albeit I agree "its not correct". In short this ZP ref at least wasn't bothered about feeds and throws etc as long as everybody stayed on their feet and the ball came out without being tampered with.

In answer to a question he also said he didn't care less wheer the hooker's feet went in relatiion to the touch line (ie stepping inside the field of play) as long as it wasn't obvioulsy crooked and it wasn't a front of the line throw. I asked him where he drew the line then... 10cm? 1metre? 4 metres?

He could only answer as loing as it didn't basically enable the hooker greatly...

Says it all really.

Didds

didds
27-01-04, 11:01
Answer to question = bad TV angles!!!!e.

can't agree with that. feeding is commonplace in the elite game. refs and players aren't interested in a ciontest for the ball in a dark tunnel, they want the ball in, and out .

didds