PDA

View Full Version : Women's rugby (laws)

Simon Griffiths
10-12-04, 16:12
:confused:
OK then, I'm refereeing a women's rugby match on Sunday (Midlands One) and haven't refereed womens rugby yet. I was always under the impression that they played U19 variations, but a while ago it sounded as though that had changed and the pdf from the RFUW is less than clear (or helpful in any shape or form :mad: ).

Any help/clarification would be much appreciated.

PeterTC
10-12-04, 16:12
OK, having read the RFUW's guide to the Law Variations, I am pretty certain it goes as follows:

All matches in Premiership, Premiership 2 and Top Regional Divisions (such as Midland One) are played under normal IRB Laws. It is only games in Regional Divisions Two and below that are subject to U19 law variations.

So therefore Simon, I think your game on Sunday is a nice simple case of applying the adult Laws of the Game.

Pablo
10-12-04, 17:12
What Peter said, plus they're allowed IRB approved chest pads, which men are not permitted. However, I'm not sure how carefully they'll let you check them... :eek: ;)

Simon Griffiths
10-12-04, 19:12
Thanks guys. That's how I originally read it, then I remembered U19 laws and then my head went into some kind of spin!

Robert Burns
10-12-04, 23:12
remember to check their nails!!!

Simon Griffiths
12-12-04, 21:12
Thanks for the tips guys. The match went very well, everyone was happy with my handling (especially when they found out that it was my first experience of ladies' rugby!)
Having refereed that game (which was very good), I wish all games were like that! The game was very tidy (by all accounts against tradition!), it was played in a good spirit and at a medium pace (I even managed to out-sprint the wingers a couple of times and beat them into in-goal!)

threegatesexpress
14-12-04, 12:12
Simon, I'm interested what level was assigned to the match. I have reffed but one ladies match (Saracens vs Wimbledon last season) and was blown away by the quality of the game - fast, skillful, and the best scrummaging I have seen in any match by far. Curiously it was shown as level 27.

Robert Burns
14-12-04, 13:12
I did one womens game it's in the match reports forum, put me off wanting to do anymore for a while I'll tell you!

SimonSmith
14-12-04, 15:12
Simon, I'm interested what level was assigned to the match. I have reffed but one ladies match (Saracens vs Wimbledon last season) and was blown away by the quality of the game - fast, skillful, and the best scrummaging I have seen in any match by far. Curiously it was shown as level 27.

Its been some time since I did a Ladies' game in the UK, but what level are Wimbledon? I know Sarries are top flight.....
Level 27 sounds stupid to me. I did Wasps and (I think) Clifton in the Womens' Sevens semi finals a couple of years ago. If every men's game was as good as that one, I'd love refereeing....

Simon Griffiths
14-12-04, 20:12
It was level 10 (according to the fixtures sheet). Whether the system has changed recently or Gloucestershire do it differently I don't know? (The league was Midlands 1 - essentially the third league [equivalent to men's National 2 split into four areas]).

ydris
06-03-05, 15:03
I regularly get to referee local women's teams and have to say that if I tried to referee any other way than full adult laws I would probably be killed on site.

On more than one occasion the cry of "Sir! Would you have called that in a mens game?" rings out

Ydris

Robert Burns
06-03-05, 15:03
Ydris,

Welcome to the forums.

The ladies teams I did were Uni teams, I believe club teams are much better in standard, but I have not had the chance to find out first hand yet.

threegatesexpress
07-03-05, 10:03
For future reference of others that may come onto this thread. Also watch out for metal hair clips in pre-match checks, and hair pulling in contact!

Robert Burns
07-03-05, 12:03
It may not be as fast as mens rugby, but sounds like it can be just as dirty!

threegatesexpress
07-03-05, 12:03
...and the language is just as colourful! :o