PDA

View Full Version : Player offside, shall I penalize him ?

cchartrain
11-12-06, 21:12
Here is one of my recent match : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uipkwQZfUDI

We had a long discussion on this situation in our last meeting : when the blue kick the ball, the blue right wing is offside and run forward without really interfering with game.

We couldn't make us agree on the decision : penalize because of the rule, or let play because is not where the game is...

Robert Burns
Can't view at the moment as am at work, but if he had no effect on play whatsoever, then why penalise him, play on.

speedy
I am a big believer in blowing what is important ... if it had no real impact then why blow? He has had no impact on the game therefor let it run and enjoy the game.

cchartrain
I am a big believer in blowing what is important ... if it had no real impact then why blow? He has had no impact on the game therefor let it run and enjoy the game.

It's what I think too.
But collegues who told that they would have blown said that this player cut a possibility of game for the receiver.

Dixie
11-12-06, 22:12
We do not see the catcher before he catches the ball. It seems he called for the Mark under Law 18. From my playing days, when under the high ball I was not interested in what was happening way to my left, but rather whether I was about to get hit by lots of players in the immediate vicinity. I would play on, arguing that the offside winger had no effect on the game.

Jacko
11-12-06, 22:12
Definately play on - the kicker even overtook him, and i know that doesn't mea that he is onside, but he's hardly affected things has he?

Davet
11-12-06, 23:12
He moved forward too early, but did not interfere with play. by the time the ball came back down he was onside, since he was now behind the kicker (I don't see this as a 10m Law issue).

Offside but not interfereing with play - award the mark and play on.

I don't see how he cut down any of the catcher's options - especially as he was by then on-side.

ex-lucy
12-12-06, 10:12
I believe that it's a judgement call.
in a game last week, i had similar issues. U18s match, both teams looking to run the ball at every opportunity with quick line outs etc.
Red had 2 very large very quick wingers. White did not.
When red 10 kicked towards touch and red 14 was in front i shouted 'wait red' but he didnt so i pinged him, when white 14 was in front i did not ping him.
My reasoning was thus:
Red 14 was fast and would have interfered with the quick line out and if the ball hadnt gone to touch then he would have narrowed down the catcher's options.
White 14 was not as fast and was in no danger of cutting down the red catcher's options.
I pinged red 14 about 3x for this.
I tried to explain to him, the capt and the coach (afterwards) tna.

beckett50
12-12-06, 11:12
Materiality :)

ex-lucy
12-12-06, 13:12
i think that is what i meant .... nice and succinctly put !!

Coler
12-12-06, 14:12
All my instincts say play on with the mark - I particularly agree with DaveT that by the time the ball lands he is onside, and in any event well wide of the landing area.

Anyone think that if no mark called, quick spin out wide and the off-side (initially) winger makes a tackle out there he should be pinged ?

OB..
12-12-06, 14:12
Totally agree that it did not warrant a penalty.

However it is worth the referee taking the next opportunity to remind the winger that he was in fact offside.

speedy
12-12-06, 18:12

Thats what I meant! :D

didds
12-12-06, 21:12
so what if being subsequently played onside he is able to affect play that he otherwise could not have done had he NOT advanced in an offside position until played onside i.e. he would have been a few metres behind where he ended up etc?

didds

Davet
13-12-06, 12:12
The point, surely, is that he did not interfere with play.

If the catcher had caught the ball and instantly spun it wide then there could be a case. Though watching the video theer was no material effect while he was offside, and he was placed onside quite early enough for him to have made up the ground anyway.

Judgement call - and as the ref you are bound to be correct whatever you call.

Gareth-Lee Smith
13-12-06, 20:12

Sums it up well in one word - but the remainder of the text in this thread is highly valuable, as it is possible that our friend from across the pond is unsure of what this word means :)

Brian Ravenhill
14-12-06, 10:12
Quote from Ex-lucy 'When red 10 kicked towards touch and red 14 was in front i shouted 'wait red' but he didnt so i pinged him, when white 14 was in front i did not ping him.
My reasoning was thus:
Red 14 was fast and would have interfered with the quick line out and if the ball hadnt gone to touch then he would have narrowed down the catcher's options.'

Once the ball goes out of play ball is dead thus no offside lines Red 14 was entiled to stand 5m from touchline and prevent quick throw in.

Davet
14-12-06, 11:12
Once the ball goes out of play ball is dead thus no offside lines Red 14 was entiled to stand 5m from touchline and prevent quick throw in.

Not if he has got that advantage by being in an offside position while the ball was still in play. Loitering should bring no advantage.

And this very point was penalised, correctly, in a televised game recently - some one who has a brain will recall the ref and match - we did discuss it here.

My argument with ex-Lucy would be that you assessment of the merits of the two cases might be a bit fine tuned - and I suspect that is what the players were struggling with. Justice needs to be seen to be done - ie fairly obvioulsy fair - with no dancing angels.

Mike Whittaker
14-12-06, 14:12
Here is one of my recent match : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uipkwQZfUDI

We had a long discussion on this situation in our last meeting : when the blue kick the ball, the blue right wing is offside and run forward without really interfering with game.

We couldn't make us agree on the decision : penalize because of the rule, or let play because is not where the game is...

If the meeting couldn't agree, that is fair. It is your call! Either way you are right... move on!