PDA

View Full Version : Fitness

Waynepipmad
30-12-04, 15:12
Excuse me if this has already been covered in the past, but I was just wondering what people on here do for fitness training?

I'm new to refereeing, but have always gone to the gym 4/5 times a week, so I've lasted my games ok, but I am aware that my speed off the mark could be better, so want to work on that

Anyone do anything that is more interesting than Gym/pounding the streets etc?

didds
31-12-04, 10:12
if its acceleration you need, pounding the streets isn't gonna help any... maurice green doesn't practise for the 100m by running marathons.

you need to work on the power aspects of running - leg power, but also arms and shoulders to drive you forwards. The gym should be able to point you in the right direction but I'd consider talking to an ethletics coach... presumably you aren't looking so much as to running 100m quickly, but getting the first 10-20m done quickly .

good luck :-)

didds

threegatesexpress
31-12-04, 12:12
This is a helpful book with some exercises that will help you develop speed off the mark and general agility.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0713659491/qid=1104490488/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl/202-0201005-9142202

I have used this kind of fitness development in junior rugby coaching and found that it has an immediate impact. It is now widely used by professional players, so there must be something in it.

It is also worth being on the email list of your county RFU Regional Development Officer (RDO). They organise a constant stream of courses (aimed at coaches), most of which are 3 hours in the evening, and the best part is that they are free. I have seen an SAQ course on the schedule but haven't been able to attend one yet.