PDA

View Full Version : [B&IL] British & Irish Lions Signed Referee Shirt

Robert Burns
14-01-14, 00:01
Members,

An authentic Match day IRB referee shirt from the British & Irish Lions tour of Australia, sigbed by the three test match referees, Craig Joubert, Chris Pollock & Romain Poite. I believe this is a one off shirt.

Next week I will be giving this shirt to someone, I just need to decide how.

I can either Auction it on ebay, or I can raffle it. I can legally conduct the raffle from WA without a requirement for a permit providing that it's clear that all proceeds are going to the running of the site.

Thoughts?

Dickie E
14-01-14, 00:01
I would go with whichever method would maximise the revenue.

SimonSmith
14-01-14, 01:01
Smith says: raffle.

buff
14-01-14, 01:01
I second Simon

Taff
14-01-14, 08:01
To get the most for the site, personally I would auction it.

winchesterref
14-01-14, 09:01
Auction would get you more I think

Shelflife
14-01-14, 11:01
Raffle would be a fairer way to ensure that all members have a chance of getting their hands on it. Auction limits it to those with deep pockets.

Lee Lifeson-Peart
Deep pockets - short arms! That's us.

I vote for a "reffle"

DrSTU
The obverse side of the coin is that the auction would raise more money and allow the site to exist without revenue problems. If it is for the benefit of the members directly then raffle is the way to go as there are a lot of people that earn top end money on here but if it's for the site's benefit then auction all the way.
Raffle would be a fairer way to ensure that all members have a chance of getting their hands on it. Auction limits it to those with deep pockets.

Dickie E
14-01-14, 12:01

In a raffle, if I have lots of money I can buy lots of tickets.

Shelflife
14-01-14, 14:01
True Dickie but everyone has a chance of winning the prize, if its an auction its limited to a few.

Decorily
14-01-14, 15:01
Raffle please!!

Decorily
P.S. Why not run a bigger/ second raffle at the same time if you need to raise funds.

crossref
how about this

sell raffle tickets for a fixed price, and count how many you have sold. lets say you sold x tickets.
issue x additional tickets, and auction them (as a job lot, all in one go)
ie people are bidding for a 50% chance of winning the raffle.

You could vary that by auctioning a more than x additional, to create a more attractive lot.

Phil E
14-01-14, 16:01
Just give it to me :-)

andyscott
If its a match shirt, it wont fit half the people on here :)

L'irlandais
How about an "undemocratic" forum poll (raffle v Auction) to see what the majority of members think?
If I were in your shoes, I'd auction it. But then again a raffle could generate more interest...

winchesterref
Unless you say something like 5 or 10 a raffle ticket, in which case 30/40/50 people entering that may be more worthwhile than an auction where you'll hit a limit and 3/4 of the people lose interest.

Robert Burns
14-01-14, 21:01
If we go raffle it will have to be 5 ish a ticket. Remember we also have our Twitter & Facebook community, so may do ok.

And as you all know whilst I like a little fundraising for the site, I also like making really special items like this available to everyone to have a chance of winning.

Other bonus about a Raffle is that I can run it for longer, down side is it's more effort to manage.

Rushforth
14-01-14, 22:01
Next week I will be giving this shirt to someone, I just need to decide how.

I can either Auction it on ebay, or I can raffle it.

If you want to give something valuable away, then the difficult question is "who to", not "how much".

You don't seem to be asking the right question.

Also, running a site like this takes far more effort than money. Yes, time is money, and I appreciate your effort.

Let me be clear: if you have a 'valuable' shirt, then give it away, or auction it, or raffle it. Only one of those. If you wish to make any kind of profit, do not use the word 'give'.

Please?

Taff
How's this for a suggestion then? Feel free to blow it out of the water if you like; I'm a big boy now and won't take it personally. :biggrin:

If you are leaning towards a raffle rather than an auction, would it work if each person bought into the raffle at say 10 each BUT the number of entries was a multiplier of the number of "Likes" they have received from other RR.com members. Eg A person with no "Likes" would get 1 "point". A person with say 8 "Likes" would have 8 "points" ie effectively 8 times the chance of being drawn, 35 "Likes" 35 "points" you get the gist. The draw could be done randomly (via a simple spreadsheet) a bit like ERNIE does for the Premium Bonds.

I appreciate that no system is perfect, but it would be a way of acknowledging members who have made a positive contribution towards the site. Worth a thought / tweaking? :chin:

Jarrod Burton
Taff, unfortunately that means that generally those who have been on the site the longest will have the highest number of entries unless newer members spent more. Not particularly fair.

Browner
15-01-14, 02:01
How's this for a suggestion then? Feel free to blow it out of the water if you like; I'm a big boy now and won't take it personally. :biggrin:

If you are leaning towards a raffle rather than an auction, would it work if each person bought into the raffle at say 10 each BUT the number of entries was a multiplier of the number of "Likes" they have received from other RR.com members. Eg A person with no "Likes" would get 1 "point". A person with say 8 "Likes" would have 8 "points" ie effectively 8 times the chance of being drawn, 35 "Likes" 35 "points" you get the gist. The draw could be done randomly (via a simple spreadsheet) a bit like ERNIE does for the Premium Bonds.

I appreciate that no system is perfect, but it would be a way of acknowledging members who have made a positive contribution towards the site. Worth a thought / tweaking? :chin:

I was going to like this suggestion , but then I thought ... no .....bollocks to that idea ..... mine might be the deciding 'like' that loses me the prize & gifts it to my celtic cousin, I didn't 'like' what i was thinking ................ er like !

Browner
15-01-14, 02:01
If you want to give something valuable away, then the difficult question is "who to", not "how much".

You don't seem to be asking the right question.

Also, running a site like this takes far more effort than money. Yes, time is money, and I appreciate your effort.

Let me be clear: if you have a 'valuable' shirt, then give it away, or auction it, or raffle it. Only one of those. If you wish to make any kind of profit, do not use the word 'give'.

Please?

If you do pass it to Rushy, then for F**K sake make sure it leaves the postman's hands in a backwards direction in relation to the doorstep, or he'll refuse to accept it !:pepper:

SimonSmith
15-01-14, 03:01
Minimum buy in to the raffle.

Then we trust you (or a member of Clan Burns) to pull a truly random name from the hat

TheBFG
15-01-14, 10:01
Minimum buy in to the raffle.

Then we trust you (or a member of Clan Burns) to pull a truly random name from the hat

Yeah it's about time we had another "Burns live on Youtube draw" again :clap:

Taff
15-01-14, 11:01
Yeah it's about time we had another "Burns live on Youtube draw" again :clap:
Have we had one before then? I must have missed it.

If its a match shirt, it wont fit half the people on here :)
The chances are that it will never be worn, but will end up in a display case.

If you want to give something valuable away, then the difficult question is "who to", not "how much". Also, running a site like this takes far more effort than money. Yes, time is money, and I appreciate your effort. Let me be clear: if you have a 'valuable' shirt, then give it away, or auction it, or raffle it. Only one of those. If you wish to make any kind of profit, do not use the word 'give'. Please?
But a jersey like that has a dual "value". It obviously has a monetary value eg if you stick it on e-Bay it will sell no question about it.

However it also has a nostalgic value - presumably far more to other referees that Joe Public. In that way I can see that "who" it goes to is just as important as "how much" Robert Burns gets for it - which will help keep RR.com going. If you could tick BOTH boxes, you've nailed it.

On the motorbike forum I subscribe to (12 a year) the site owner once gave us a "breakdown" of how much it cost him to keep the site going, after his server crashed and had to be replaced. It was an eye-opener.

John3822
15-01-14, 11:01
I'd go with raffle, more people will buy in.

Rushforth
15-01-14, 19:01
If you could tick BOTH boxes, you've nailed it.

Well, the capitalist way to deal with this conundrum would be to have a raffle ticket fund which bids the total initially invested (or committed to) by the members interested, and then start the ebay auction, but allowing the raffle ticket fund to keep on bidding too (i.e. more tickets to be sold for the fund during the period of the auction).

L'irlandais
15-01-14, 20:01
...The chances are that it will never be worn, but will end up in a display case....Too true, Taff. Anyway since we've already bought the display case and chosen a spot on our club house wall for this jersey, Robbie. In line with post #20, bollox to the raffle / auction debat just give it to one of the French refs. It'll save you alot of hassle in the long run.

Shelflife
15-01-14, 23:01
A raffle confined to refs, who were at one or more of the tests :-)

Drift
16-01-14, 00:01
Raffle would be "fairer" however those with more disposable income can buy more tickets which I don't see as an issue.

SimonSmith
16-01-14, 00:01
Nah. One time buy in, one ticket per member

Dickie E
16-01-14, 01:01
Nah. One time buy in, one ticket per member

chopper said I can have his

TheBFG
16-01-14, 11:01
Have we had one before then? I must have missed it.

Yep, think it was for the last WC sweepstake :chin:

Shelflife
16-01-14, 14:01
KISS, keep it simple stupid.

A raffle, 5/10 each ticket people can buy as many as they want. that way everyone has a chance and those that can/want can buy as many as they want.

Everyones in with a chance and the multiple buys will boost the coffers of the site.

Lee Lifeson-Peart

10!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!??????????????? ????????

1 a strip for raffles down our way!

Jacko

Exactly - a tenner will get you a stripper in Donny, never mind a strip!

colesy
16-01-14, 15:01
I digress slightly (I digress a lot in fact). I was asked to draw the raffle in the clubhouse after a match I reffed a few weeks ago. I drew my own ticket. That just has to be seriously bad form.

Dickie E
16-01-14, 21:01
KISS, keep it simple stupid.

A raffle, 5/10 each ticket people can buy as many as they want. that way everyone has a chance and those that can/want can buy as many as they want.

Everyones in with a chance and the multiple buys will boost the coffers of the site.

While I'm fine with a raffle, it certainly isn't the simplest for Robbie. If he was to KISS he would go ebay.

Browner
17-01-14, 01:01

One price one ticket, one price many tickets = same odds either way !

Robert Burns
17-01-14, 11:01
I believe we will go Raffle, I'll set it all up next week and run it throughout the 6 nations. Draw being after the last game.

winchesterref
07-12-14, 00:12
Did anything happen with this?? Who got lucky?