PDA

View Full Version : Is this OK to play on?

Taff
04-10-14, 22:10
I don't remember this happening to me before, but it happened to me at least twice today in one game.

There was a scrum with the ball at the No 8s feet. The throwing in SH goes to pass the ball out but the non throwing in SH (onside) just stuck out a leg and blocked it with his foot.

I called "Play On" as I couldn't see an offence, but it did look really messy. Play on? :chin:

Phil E
04-10-14, 22:10
Was he onside?
If so then play on is correct.
What law do you think he broke? If none, then why sweat it?

Taff
04-10-14, 23:10
Was he onside? If so then play on is correct. What law do you think he broke? If none, then why sweat it?Definitely onside Phil - both feet behind the ball.

I couldn't think of a broken law, but it looked wrong. And usually when it looks wrong I start getting twitchy. :biggrin:

Dickie E
05-10-14, 03:10
did he kick the ball out of the opponent's hands?

AntonyGoodman
05-10-14, 06:10
If the ball touched the SH's foot then is the SH not breaking this law?

20.9 (g) Scrum half: Kicking in the scrum. A scrum half must not kick the ball while it is in the scrum.
Sanction: Penalty kick

If the ball didn't touch his foot, but you feel he was blocking then does this apply?:

10.1 (d) Blocking the ball. A player must not intentionally move or stand in a position that prevents an opponent from playing the ball.

The Fat
05-10-14, 08:10
If the ball touched the SH's foot then is the SH not breaking this law?

20.9 (g) Scrum half: Kicking in the scrum. A scrum half must not kick the ball while it is in the scrum.

If the ball didn't touch his foot, but you feel he was blocking then does this apply?:

10.1 (d) Blocking the ball. A player must not intentionally move or stand in a position that prevents an opponent from playing the ball.

1st one: No. The ball was out of the scrum. The SH from the team in possession had picked the ball up and was in the action of passing it so the scrum was over.

2nd one: No. The defending SH did not stand or move into a position to stop the opposing SH from playing the ball. He has stuck a foot out to block the pass. Providing he didn't make contact with the SH in possession (i.e. equal to kicking him/tripping him), then I would say it is play on providing the ball had left the passer's hands when his foot made contact with the ball.

crossref
Kicking the ball out of the scrum half hands? That's normally considered dangerous play..

The Fat
Kicking the ball out of the scrum half hands? That's normally considered dangerous play..

I may have misinterpreted the OP but I thought he was saying that the SH had thrown the pass (i.e. the ball had just left his hands) and the the oppo SH blocked the ball's flight by sticking his foot out. Nothing about kicking the ball out of the passer's hands.
Maybe need OP to clarify?

Taff
did he kick the ball out of the opponent's hands?

The ball was being passed from SH to No 10 ie it was in mid air - nobody kicked the ball out of the opponents hand. As it happens I cover kicking the ball out of a players hands in my PMB. I suppose the opposing SH couldn't risk grabbing the ball as he would probably knock it on, but by sticking a leg out he could disrupt the pass with impunity.

The Red SH did it first, then the Green SH seemed to cotton on and tried it himself. It looked messy but as there doesn't appear to have been an offence, we'll just play on then.

Browner
05-10-14, 09:10
Sounds like the scrum halfs need to develop a swivel pass off their left hand ?????

No offence committed, play on.

Simon Thomas
05-10-14, 09:10
Ball in flight, no problem, play on.

Brings back memories of the various disruptive techniques (some legally :biggrin:) we would try to use on each other - great to see the modern scrummies are carrying on the old traditions.

Simon Thomas
05-10-14, 10:10
Sounds like the scrum halfs need to develop a swivel pass off their left hand ?????

No offence committed, play on.

Swivel pass ? better to develop their pass off both hands, and without taking a step, or placing an anchor leg.

As a callow youth playing with the big boys a very senior player playing at #10 said to me if it isn't going to come immediately, flat and hard don't bother passing it. One piece of advice I never forgot.

ChrisR
Another reason for the loose side flanker to bind back as a third row and prevent the ops SH from getting into the slot behind him.

Browner
Swivel pass ? better to develop their pass off both hands, and without taking a step, or placing an anchor leg.

As a callow youth playing with the big boys a very senior player playing at #10 said to me if it isn't going to come immediately, flat and hard don't bother passing it. One piece of advice I never forgot.

Simon, were talking about the same thing ( my description! ) swivel/spin/left handed, im picturing the same pass across the face of the ' disrupting' scrum half

Simon Thomas
05-10-14, 13:10
Simon, were talking about the same thing ( my description! ) swivel/spin/left handed, im picturing the same pass across the face of the ' disrupting' scrum half

Ok got you - swivel meant to me a 180 turn and pass off wrong hand.