PDA

View Full Version : Where are you on the global fat scale?

Phil E
20-11-14, 13:11
I have a BMI of 26, which is below average for the UK, but above average for the rest of the world.

I am most like a person from Ukraine! What about you?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-18770328

TheBFG
I'm TheBFG for a reason :wink:

Jacko
I have BMI of 25 which is above average for both UK and world (different age range to Phil), and officially makes me overweight.

Which rather highlights the folly of BMI as a measure, given that I'm in pretty decent shape, with 11% body fat according to the fat calipers!!

Phil E
I have BMI of 25 which is above average for both UK and world (different age range to Phil), and officially makes me overweight.

But then you are in Yorkshire :wink: All that bread and dripping!

BFG, come on, I want to know which country you are most like.....i'm guessing Tonga or Samoa :biggrin:

Lee Lifeson-Peart
20-11-14, 14:11
Malta for me.

Probably all the Maltesers.

Although since going on my diet I have moved from Samoa to Malta via Argentina, Kuwait and the United States.

If I had a really big poo I could make it back to the UK.

Ultimately I could make it to Bangladesh if I can grow to 7' 2" or contract dysentery.

Lee Lifeson-Peart
I have a BMI of 26, which is below average for the UK, but above average for the rest of the world.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-18770328

I hope you don't live near the airport!

colesy
Dominical Republic for me. Apparently I have a lower BMI than 77% of males aged 45-59 in the UK.

Shelflife
I dont buy into those stats, i used to until i did a test in a gym one day, I was fit,playing rugby doing weights and cardio, palying rugby every weekend. I was catogorised as obese, the lad in the gym was very embarrassed as while i was carrying a few pounds and was a prop I clearly wasnt obese in the generally accepted view but officially I was.

I was listening to a show regarding binge drinking and the guest was shouting about the terrible crisis and that binge drinking was out of control and that he had official figures to back it up. It turns out that officially if you have 3 pints in one session you are a binge drinker. a load of bull shit.

While im sure the OP has his tongue in cheek with this, alot of these categorisation measures are very misleading.

Simon Thomas
30 and Argentina - hey no.

Lee Lifeson-Peart
I notice Oompa Loompa Land isn't in the list. Where's Simon Thomas going to end up then? :wink:

Edit: Doooh just beat me to it?

Simon Thomas
20-11-14, 15:11
I notice Oompa Loompa Land isn't in the list. Where's Simon Thomas going to end up then? :wink:

Edit: Doooh just beat me to it?

Cheeky sod. My 6 months on salads and juices has worked wonders, although the alcohol intake last night at London Society 125 Dinner will have set me back somewhat.

I can now wear suits, shirts and trousers that I have not worn for two years +

Lee Lifeson-Peart
20-11-14, 15:11
Cheeky sod. My 6 months on salads and juices has worked wonders, although the alcohol intake last night at London Society 125 Dinner will have set me back somewhat.

I can now wear suits, shirts and trousers that I have not worn for two years +

Well done - I don't think tracksuits count as suits.

I have been eating the same stuff as my wife and saving the 2 a week she pays at Chubby Club or whatever it's called.

It seems to be working. I have lost about 7lb in 3 weeks.

Owen Bisto Taylor
20-11-14, 16:11
Well done - I don't think tracksuits count as suits.

I have been eating the same stuff as my wife and saving the 2 a week she pays at Chubby Club or whatever it's called.

It seems to be working. I have lost about 7lb in 3 weeks.

2 a week! Are you sure son? Myself and Adam will be glad to tell your naive self that its 5 a week!

Lee Lifeson-Peart
2 a week! Are you sure son? Myself and Adam will be glad to tell your naive self that its 5 a week!

Even betterer!

FlipFlop
BMI - a discredited scale, and one which even the inventor of it said shouldn't be used the way it is now. He was a mathematician who found a link between obese people and weight/height ratio. Being Obese predicts you have a BMI over a certain amount, but it should be noted that the opposite is not true (something that is lost of most people). (A predicts B, doesn't mean B predicts A).

Not only that - but based on the 1970 sedantry male in the US. So not relevant for anyone who is taller than the "standard" range in the 1970s, who isn't sedantry, who has higher muscle mass (or lower body fat even).

Body Fat percentage is a much better indication (Even if taken on a electronic scale - which isn't the most reliable method)

Lee Lifeson-Peart
Not only that - but based on the 1970 sedantry male in the US.

Is that just a fat bloke with sideburns?

FlipFlop
Is that just a fat bloke with sideburns?

And flares....

Lee Lifeson-Peart
And flares....

:biggrin:

Lee Lifeson-Peart
Being Obese predicts you have a BMI over a certain amount, but it should be noted that the opposite is not true (something that is lost of most people). (A predicts B, doesn't mean B predicts A).

Very interesting. No honestly - there's no purile joke coming.

It was lost on me but now it's been pointed out it makes sense.

OB..
20-11-14, 17:11
I would like it to be known that I am not overweight - I am undertall.

L'irlandais
20-11-14, 19:11

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-18770328That BBC calculator is great, one can simply change the input until a satisfactory result is obtain : BMi 24, and I'm sticking to that final result.

Phil E
20-11-14, 20:11
That BBC calculator is great, one can simply change the input until a satisfactory result is obtain : BMi 24, and I'm sticking to that final result.

Your only cheating yourself :nono:

The Fat
21-11-14, 09:11
I'm TheBFG for a reason :wink:

I hear ya brother:wink:

The Fat
21-11-14, 09:11
Calculator wouldn't give me a BMI. It just came up with the following message.
"What the f#%* are you doing sitting at a f#%*ing computer you fat b*st**d? Get outside and exercise before your heart gives out!!!"

By the way, where the hell is Micronesia??? Apparently I would blend in with the locals there.

If I can get to my target before next season, I can cash in my fare to Micronesia and go to Mexico instead. If I was back to my playing weight, it would change to France. Must be a lot of skinny pr!<#$ living in France.

TheBFG
21-11-14, 10:11
If I was back to my playing weight, it would change to France. Must be a lot of skinny pr!<#$ living in France.

If I was at my (top) playing weight I'd still be off the scale! To pinch Sir Bob's phrase, "What a load of bollox"

Phil E
21-11-14, 10:11
Micronesia is (if I remember correctly) a series of island in the pacific.
It's all the islands that the Japanese invaded in WW2 and that appear regularly in WW2 films of that area.

Marshall Islands
Wake Island
Bikini Atoll
Solomon's
etc.

Accylad
21-11-14, 15:11
It reckons I am below average for a bloke my age while I know I am currently "carrying" a good few pounds more than I should frankly.......

Suit trousers today feel slightly tight. When I am great shape they don't. Who needs a web calculator?!

Phil E
21-11-14, 15:11
Suit trousers today feel slightly tight. When I am great shape they don't. Who needs a web calculator?!

People who don't wear trousers?

:booty:

L'irlandais
21-11-14, 18:11
I know we joke about it, thinking it will never happen.

My under-age coach (from when I was U15) died on the first of November last. Heart-attack while lining the pitches for an under-age fixture. He was only 10 years older than me.

Club website reads :

"It is with deep shock and sadness that we advise the sudden death of our esteemed club member, Past Captain and long serving Groundsman Noel "The Bear" O'Sullivan this morning while lining the Club Pitches."

ddjamo
21-11-14, 19:11
24/Swaziland

for just $2 a day you can sponsor me!

Lee Lifeson-Peart
09-12-14, 19:12
Malta for me.

Probably all the Maltesers.

Although since going on my diet I have moved from Samoa to Malta via Argentina, Kuwait and the United States.

If I had a really big poo I could make it back to the UK.

Ultimately I could make it to Bangladesh if I can grow to 7' 2" or contract dysentery.

That's more like it - I've moved to the Bahamas. :pepper:

Adam
10-12-14, 11:12
That's more like it - I've moved to the Bahamas. :pepper:

You'll be back to Samoa after the Christmas Curry etc tonight.

Lee Lifeson-Peart
You'll be back to Samoa after the Christmas Curry etc tonight.

Another 2-3lbs and I'll have lost a stone since coming back from Portugal at the end of October.

What time is the meeting/curry?

Adam
Another 2-3lbs and I'll have lost a stone since coming back from Portugal at the end of October.

What time is the meeting/curry?

Normal time. 7 for 7:30.

Lee Lifeson-Peart
Normal time. 7 for 7:30.

Ta

Wath!?

Adam
10-12-14, 12:12
Ta

Wath!?

Aye..

Lee Lifeson-Peart
23-08-16, 09:08
I thought I'd revisit this in light of my svelter self. Despite my weight going up and down like a bride's nightie since this thread started I am now a "bmi citizen" of Chile.

Drift
24-08-16, 02:08
BMI is a joke. It doesn't account for the fact that muscle weighs more than fat. I read an article that the Melbourne Storm players, whilst not super lean, had visible abs and clearly were big guys had a BMI of obese.

Body fat % is a much better measure of "healthiness".

Lee Lifeson-Peart
24-08-16, 17:08
BMI is a joke. It doesn't account for the fact that muscle weighs more than fat. I read an article that the Melbourne Storm players, whilst not super lean, had visible abs and clearly were big guys had a BMI of obese.

Body fat % is a much better measure of "healthiness".

Noted.

This is, however, the only way I can visit most of the countries on the list.:)

mike121
04-11-16, 08:11
Hi
As a rugby player we have to calculate our Body fat on regular basis because increase in body fat affect our stamina as well as our game, and the use of body fat scale accuracy (http://bodycompblueprint.com/body-fat-scale-accuracy/) is the best way to calculate body fat.

Lee Lifeson-Peart
04-11-16, 11:11
Just my luck!

I've lost more weight but now I am a "bmi citizen" of Latvia! It's bloody freezing.

beckett50
04-11-16, 15:11
My BMI is 21.6 - there is a Boditrax machine at the gym I use and I regularly update my readings.

According to the BBC web thingy I'm from Somalia :shrug:

Dixie
04-11-16, 16:11
According to the BBC web thingy I'm from Somalia :shrug: Your trouser waistband suggests the same - or at least, that you've enthusiastically adopted a Somalian diet! :bday:

Lee Lifeson-Peart
15-06-17, 10:06
Moved from Latvia to Lebanon for the better weather.