PDA

View Full Version : leinster v wasps

richie
24-01-15, 22:01
Anybody out there that watched the match wondering how Ashley Johnson only got a yc for tackling player in the air???
If anyone can post a clip , (I'm IT challenged), that would be great.

dave_clark
24-01-15, 23:01
because it was only 10 seconds in!

Kearney landed past the horizontal which, in my limited understanding, is supposed to mean a red?

mind you, nobody gives a red card that early. well, barring when Barnesy sent off Nick Wood about 30 seconds later than that a couple of years ago...

winchesterref
26-01-15, 12:01
Try this one:

http://youtu.be/8N29OU87LXE

winchesterref
26-01-15, 12:01
I think I'd have been reaching for a RC.

FlipFlop
26-01-15, 13:01
First viewing on the day, I was thinking red, but then on review - I think he (just about) lands on his side, so YC if you are going on the tip tackle memo. But...

.. it wasn't a tackle. There was also no lift, so it can't be a "tip tackle". It was however, very dangerous, and I think Johnson looks up at Kearney, before running through him. He certainly isn't focused on the ball the whole way through the act, and had looked at Kearney, so knew where he was. Dumb & Dangerous act, and I don't think anyone who have complained if it was red.

I would probably have gone red, and have given red in the past for similar actions. I expect the citing officer to take a very close look at this...

SimonSmith
Classic Orange card that one/

Watched it twice and went from Red to Yellow to "Mmm, not sure". But agree that yes, the CO should take a long look at that.

Browner
Shoulder hits ground before hip/back.

Its Pantone 185 for me.

http://www.pantone-colours.com

Phil E
Didn't think "instant Red". Had to mull it over.

And....................If you have to think about it, then it's a YC.

winchesterref
26-01-15, 14:01
I appreciate it is blurred... but landing on his side?

Tight one. Highly dangerous.

richie
26-01-15, 20:01
It's when you compare it to, say the red Jared Payne, a yc was certainly a let off.
Wasn't there overkill on this recently where players who were legitimately competing in the air were getting cards , whereas Johnson was not competing, not in the air and not even looking at the ball. Hope CO takes a look.

tim White
26-01-15, 20:01
What do you have to do to get a red card? I hope nobody is judging it just because the player was not injured.

winchesterref
26-01-15, 21:01
Player was injured. That ended his game and he is out for at least a few weeks with a shoulder injury

JJ10
26-01-15, 22:01
Classic Orange card that one/

Watched it twice and went from Red to Yellow to "Mmm, not sure". But agree that yes, the CO should take a long look at that.

Yep. Looks red in real time....

Browner
26-01-15, 23:01
Player was injured. That ended his game and he is out for at least a few weeks with a shoulder injury

A shoulder injury eh , maybe he injured it falling on his side or putting his arm down to lessen his fall?? ..:shrug:

paul mc
27-01-15, 22:01
http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/european-cup/wasps-ashley-johnson-cited-over-dave-kearney-tackle-1.2081278

chrismtl
27-01-15, 23:01
This is probably the cause of the shoulder injury, but you can repair a shoulder...a bit harder to repair your brain.If he doesn't put his arm down, he's landing head first. His legs were taken past vertical and he was just dropped. This looked like an NFL football hit on a jumping WR. :norc:

Browner
28-01-15, 04:01
I'm guessing at 8 weeks - 1 for turning up =7.

?

SimonSmith
28-01-15, 13:01
Add in the subtraction for (I assume) a relatively clean disciplinary record and you're down to 4 or 5. Expression of deep contrition... 4

RobLev
28-01-15, 14:01
Add in the subtraction for (I assume) a relatively clean disciplinary record and you're down to 4 or 5. Expression of deep contrition... 4

Wearing a collar and tie and addressing the panel as "Sir" has to count for something as well...but can it go below 4 (half the entry point)?

ChrisR
28-01-15, 16:01
.... uncontrollable sobbing? Works for politicians.

Oh, don't forget to bring in the missus and hold hands. Absolute requirement for infidelity. Could halp at the hearing.

richie
28-01-15, 22:01
Bizarrely BOD and Alan quinlan both seemed to think a yc was adequate,
BOD got a short memory or whaaaat?????

Phil E
29-01-15, 13:01
He got 3 weeks.

Browner
29-01-15, 14:01
Wearing a collar and tie and addressing the panel as "Sir" has to count for something as well.......but can it go below 4 (half the entry point)?

Seems like yes, it can.

BOD got a short memory or whaaaat?????

Maybe repeated concussions fade the memory? !!!!

RobLev
29-01-15, 15:01
Wearing a collar and tie and addressing the panel as "Sir" has to count for something as well...but can it go below 4 (half the entry point)?

Determined mid-range, so entry point = 6 weeks (http://www.epcrugby.com/news/30310.php#.VMpCci7pXWg); clean record. guilty plea, contrition ("remorse") and wearing a collar and tie and addressing the panel as "Sir" ("good conduct during the hearing") halved that. It is a maximum halving, but the entry point was 6, not 8, weeks.

MODERATORS: Why is there so much Dutch on the page?

Phil E
29-01-15, 15:01
MODERATORS: Why is there so much Dutch on the page?

Probably because you have inadvertently change the forum language to Dutch?

Very bottom of screen, second drop down from the left. Choose English (US). Its the only option with brackets after it (in case its in Dutch).

FlipFlop
29-01-15, 16:01
Entry level 6 weeks - would love to know what a top level would be? Any idea?

And then:

As there were no aggravating factors, he reduced the suspension by the maximum amount of three weeks due to the player's guilty plea, remorse, good conduct during the hearing and clean disciplinary record.

So you can only discount 50% of entry point. But the Yes Sir, No Sir, and not eating the last biscuit, works again. That is shocking (but not surprising). And well worth buying a suit!

RobLev
29-01-15, 17:01
Probably because you have inadvertently change the forum language to Dutch?

Very bottom of screen, second drop down from the left. Choose English (US). Its the only option with brackets after it (in case its in Dutch).

Ta muchly - I don't know how I switched to Dutch, but I'm back in English now. It doesn't affect what I write, mind you...

(and, for future reference, the dropdown is in English)

TheBFG
30-01-15, 11:01
Wasps flanker Ashley Johnson has been suspended for three weeks for tackling Leinster winger Dave Kearney in the air in a European Champions Cup fixture.

The 28-year-old saw a yellow card for the first-minute incident in Saturday's 20-20 draw at the Ricoh Arena.

The judicial officer said the offence against Kearney, who was replaced in the fourth minute, warranted a red.

Johnson's guilty plea, remorse, good conduct in the hearing and clean record saw the ban reduced from six weeks

Browner
30-01-15, 19:01
only been able to read "for offences of this nature" rather than, cited under Law 10.4 (????)