PDA

View Full Version : Narrow studs

Accylad
01-02-15, 10:02
Is anyone else seeing this?

In Several recent matches I have noticed players wearing boots with studs that are far too narrow, much narrower than the 10 mm that is required. So far I've just informed that they need to get them changed but it's happening so often but I'm beginning to wonder whether I should take stronger action. anybody else experiencing similar?

Of course all previous refs have not mentioned anything.....

Taff
01-02-15, 20:02
... In Several recent matches I have noticed players wearing boots with studs that are far too narrow, much narrower than the 10 mm that is required. ... anybody else experiencing similar?
Funnily enough I saw it happen last Friday night - for the first time ever.

U15 District cup game, they had an "neutral ref" (a WRU Level 3 Ref - so he knows his stuff) as I am the team manager. While doing the PMB, the Ref pointed out that one of the players had football studs in his boots, and he wouldn't be allowed to play in them till the studs were changed. Sure enough, he didn't have 2 sets of spare studs so he just swapped boots with a sub, and I grabbed my chance to have a closer look. They were definitely illegal for rugby; I would guess they were 5mm wide at the tip.

ctrainor
01-02-15, 22:02
Lots of this up here in RL land. Bring back the stud gauge!

matty1194
01-02-15, 23:02
In Several recent matches I have noticed players wearing boots with studs that are far too narrow, much narrower than the 10 mm that is required. So far I've just informed that they need to get them changed but it's happening so often but I'm beginning to wonder whether I should take stronger action. anybody else experiencing similar? Of course all previous refs have not mentioned anything.....

Lets be honest here Accylad if you put your head above the parapet and at every game refused to allow a player with incorrect studs to take the field and teams were reduced by a couple of boys at every one of your games and those clubs then spoke to your referee Society and said, hang on a minute why is he doing this.

Do you really think your Society or CB would back your stance and support you in removing these studs/players from a game or do you think they would bury there own heads in the sand and have a quiet word with you about your over exuberance for checking studs.

Now I have seen the effects of narrow studs first hand, I have the hole in my leg to prove it, I moved quicker at the next breakdown instead of lying there :wink: and it is a very noble stance your taking but I just dont see your local Society/CB/RFU/IRB/WR supporting you.

I await to be proven wrong.

Lots of this up here in RL land. Bring back the stud gauge!

Agree with this as well but make it a job for the clubs to do with the Captain informing the referee that all his players studs conform to the correct size with the referee able to do a % check of players boots 5 minutes before KO, if any players are found to be wearing illegal studs those players are not allowed to take the field, starting with one of the % being the Captain.

If more than 3-5 players fail the check then dock the team points, the clubs and the players will soon learn.

SimonSmith
02-02-15, 00:02
If I knew my referee was right, I'd back him.

Signed, Society President.

Taff
02-02-15, 00:02
... it is a very noble stance your taking but I just dont see your local Society/CB/RFU/IRB/WR supporting you.
I'd be amazed if his Society didn't back him.

It's a player safety issue after all, and Regulation 12 was brought in for a reason.

menace
02-02-15, 03:02
If my society didn't back me then I'd just show them this picture as to what the wrong studs can do...simples.3165
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2400875/Schoolboy-leg-sliced-open-10inch-gash-tackled-footballer-wearing-bladed-boots.html

Decorily
02-02-15, 09:02
See attached.

TheBFG
02-02-15, 11:02
I'm guessing these are the studs on the "bright" Nike boots???

I've also seen these and make a point of telling players they don't comply, I tell them they need changing. At some point I will change that to, you're not playing with those studs in your boots change them!

Taff
02-02-15, 14:02
If my society didn't back me then I'd just show them this picture as to what the wrong studs can do...simples.
Why wouldn't any Society back a Ref? I don't get it; it's a player welfare issue and safety comes first. End of story.

Decorilys PDF just confirms it in writing.

Decorily
02-02-15, 16:02
Why wouldn't any Society back a Ref? I don't get it; it's a player welfare issue and safety comes first. End of story.

Decorilys PDF just confirms it in writing.

Indeed it does confirm in writing....not that it is not already confirmed!

Law 4.5 (a) states that referee "must inspect" etc.

How could any Society etc. NOT back you?

matty1194
02-02-15, 19:02
If my society didn't back me then I'd just show them this picture as to what the wrong studs can do...simples.3165
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2400875/Schoolboy-leg-sliced-open-10inch-gash-tackled-footballer-wearing-bladed-boots.html

In the OP he specifically mentioned studs, if we were talking about blades and football then this photo would be relevant.

I have seen first hand and have got the hole to prove that illegal studs can cause damage but lets be honest here even the correctly manufactured studs can cause damage as well.

I've also seen these and make a point of telling players they don't comply, I tell them they need changing. At some point I will change that to, you're not playing with those studs in your boots change them!

My edit - Even a referee as Senior as BFG who has been around these parishes long before me still only advises players that they are incorrect studs.

Taff
02-02-15, 20:02
... Even a referee as Senior as BFG who has been around these parishes long before me still only advises players that they are incorrect studs.
Can you imagine the shit-storm that would engulf you, if a player got sliced open (eg in Post 7) by a stud you knew was illegal - but still allowed on the pitch?

Browner
02-02-15, 21:02
Previous threads.

Maybe they should merge ?????

http://www.rugbyrefs.com/showthread.php?18475-Nike-Illegal-Studs&highlight=Nike+stud

http://www.rugbyrefs.com/showthread.php?17960-New-Nike-FG-studs&highlight=Nike+stud

Accylad
02-02-15, 23:02
I'm guessing these are the studs on the "bright" Nike boots???

This is exactly the point I am at. I keep seeing them, I tell them they need to change them because one day the ref may just say "no". I am slightly worried about allowing what I know not to comply to take the field and seeing that sliced open leg I get more worried. When do I start to say - change them or don't play? My choice I know.

I have no doubt that the Society would back me if I said "you don't play" to one or more players. As has been said, how could they not - they don't comply.

I think I will raise with the chairman for discussion.

Accylad
Lets be honest here Accylad if you put your head above the parapet and at every game refused to allow a player with incorrect studs to take the field and teams were reduced by a couple of boys at every one of your games and those clubs then spoke to your referee Society and said, hang on a minute why is he doing this.

Do you really think your Society or CB would back your stance and support you in removing these studs/players from a game or do you think they would bury there own heads in the sand and have a quiet word with you about your over exuberance for checking studs.

Interesting.

Well I think they would back me. i am not a new ref and I think pretty well respected and not given to "over exuberance". I have yet to say no to these boots but if I saw one of those studs in a boot with 5 or 8 legal ones I think I would ask for that one to be changed and I bet it would be done without question.

We are being given a problem by players thoughtlessly playing in football boots. Why should we carry the monkey? We have to check studs. If a player were injured by a stud that did not comply following an inspection a lawyer would have a field day whether or not the illegal stud were identified.

I think lots of refs don't mention what they should know is a set of illegal studs.

So, do we care that players are playing in illegal kit or not?

menace
In the OP he specifically mentioned studs, if we were talking about blades and football then this photo would be relevant.

I have seen first hand and have got the hole to prove that illegal studs can cause damage but lets be honest here even the correctly manufactured studs can cause damage as well.

Quite right matty, that the article refers to blade types, BUT it's still relevant as I did mention that this is the sort of damage that the incorrect (also meaning damaged/bured) stud 'could' cause. My point being that If I decide that a boot is dangerous and not to be used then it's for a good reason to prevent such an injury.

You want to let known illegal boots while you referee, then that's your call and your liability.

I also agree, that any boot and any stud can cause damage. But if the WR specifically outlaw certain types then I'm obliged to comply with enacting that law for the safety of all players.

matty1194
seeing that sliced open leg I get more worried.

Mate, that picture involves a football player and a set of bladed boots not like the ones you described in your OP but I know were you are coming from.

matty1194
If I knew my referee was right, I'd back him.

Signed, Society President.

Interestingly when a Canadian referee asked a similar question this is what happened to him.

I can tell you that my union completely ignored my e-mail when I asked them the question of whether I should not allow players to use boots with those studs installed. I contacted the head of referees as well as a member of Rugby Quebec. My guess is that they don't want to get their hands dirty and tell players that they can't use the boots they bought.

So not all Societies choose to back there referees to the hilt.

menace
Matty....just to prove a point, I know it's not exactly the same situation but get the back of a pen and quickly run it across your thigh with a bit of force. No harm. Now get a nail, the pointy end, and with the same force quickly run it across the same spot. Any difference?

My point being that you reduce that surface area and more damage will result. Obviously the scientists have figures out the boundaries of stud diameter that is less likely to cause too much damage when applied with some force to the human flesh.

OB..
I think I will raise with the chairman for discussion.I second the motion.

TheBFG
03-02-15, 10:02

I deliberately worded my original post in the way I did.

In the first instance I put the monkey on their back "make a point of telling players they don't comply, I tell them they need changing" i.e. I've told them they need changing, their responsibility and that of their captain too as he's in ear shot!

Where as at some point i.e. if I see the same player again, (and with the way our appts go at my level that'll be within 4-6 weeks) I will insist he changes them and i'll want to see that it's done!

crossref
If you are not going to insist that dangerous studs be changed, then I think you'd be best off not mentioning them, so that you can claim you never noticed them .. they must have been changed after the inspection or something.

Once you have stated that you think they are dangerous you absolutely can't back down and let him play in them.

crossref
I think I will raise with the chairman for discussion.

the trouble is hypothetical discussion don't necessaryily help. You know the answeer you will get from the question.

Mr Chairman - if I see studs that I consider dangerous, should I refuse to let them on the pitch? - Yes.
Mr Chairman - if I see football studs, are they OK? Answer - not sure what you mean by football studs. Are they dangerous?

You can go round in circle here.

I am thinking of taking a boot to our next meeting, with eight different, carefully selected studs in, and asking those present which studs are OK and which arent. With some actual examples right in front of us (rahter than hypotheticals) maybe we'd get a useful discussion

I just need to go collect some studs!

Decorily
03-02-15, 11:02
I deliberately worded my original post in the way I did.

In the first instance I put the monkey on their back "make a point of telling players they don't comply, I tell them they need changing" i.e. I've told them they need changing, their responsibility and that of their captain too as he's in ear shot!

Where as at some point i.e. if I see the same player again, (and with the way our appts go at my level that'll be within 4-6 weeks) I will insist he changes them and i'll want to see that it's done!

How can you possibly try to justify what you are suggesting here.....either you are satisfied that the studs are legal/safe or they are not.
They are legal/safe today but they won't be next time I see you wearing them is rubbish. If you are the referee make the call now!

TheBFG
03-02-15, 12:02
I did! "those studs are illegal, they need changing"

Which bit of that is not clear?

They're grown ups, I assume they can follow a simple instruction, (if THEY chose not to do it that's their problem) where as next time I see them, they obviously couldn't follow that instruction so they'll be treated like my u16's side where I tell them to change them and then watch them do it before the play!

crossref
03-02-15, 12:02
I did! "those studs are illegal, they need changing"

Which bit of that is not clear?

They're grown ups, I assume they can follow a simple instruction, (if THEY chose not to do it that's their problem) where as next time I see them, they obviously couldn't follow that instruction so they'll be treated like my u16's side where I tell them to change them and then watch them do it before the play!

but then you don't re-inspect? If they are still wearing the same boots at the kick off and you 'don't notice', haven't you undermined your own authority a bit.

Decorily
03-02-15, 13:02
Maybe its just me...but actually none of it is clear.

You say "if they chose not to do it that's their problem". Do you allow them to change or not change and carry on regardless?

EDIT. Crossref beat me to it!

RobLev
03-02-15, 13:02

Just put up a comment on rugbyrefs.com and you'll get plenty...

TheBFG
03-02-15, 14:02
but then you don't re-inspect?

Nope, I've told the player in the presence of his captain, if THEY choose to ignore me then they can deal with the potential fall out.

Due to this thread I've just sent an email to the society president suggesting that we should send an email out to all refs saying these studs are illegal and as a society we should be telling players to change them. Hopefully we then won't get the "well the ref didn't have a problem with them last week!"

crossref
Nope, I've told the player in the presence of his captain, if THEY choose to ignore me then they can deal with the potential fall out.

so you've told him to change his boots and twenty minutes later he comes on with the same boots, and you just pretend not to notice?

I think
1 - you've undermined your own authority
2 - you've exposed yourself to risk as you have declared the boots dangerous and let him play in them.

from a personal point of view you'd be better off pretending not to notice them at inspection time!

TheBFG
we're not going to agree on this one :wink:

Ive told him, if he chooses not to change them it's his look out! I've mitigated my risk by putting the monkey on his and his captains back :shrug:

hopefully due to the email I've sent to SRRS this problem will be wiped out.

I have come across these studs, 3-4 times this year, on at least 2 of those occasions the player has come to me to show he's changed them :clap: as for the others :shrug: But now I've taken the stance of making it an issue in writing I guess i'll have to put my money where my mouth is.

Decorily
Ive told him, if he chooses not to change them it's his look out! I've mitigated my risk by putting the monkey on his and his captains back :shrug:

So you admit to turning a blind eye to a red card offense and thinking that is acceptable. WOW!!!

Browner
the trouble is hypothetical discussion don't necessaryily help. You know the answeer you will get from the question.

Mr Chairman - if I see studs that I consider dangerous, should I refuse to let them on the pitch? - Yes.
Mr Chairman - if I see football studs, are they OK? Answer - not sure what you mean by football studs. Are they dangerous?

You can go round in circle here.

I am thinking of taking a boot to our next meeting, with eight different, carefully selected studs in, and asking those present which studs are OK and which arent. With some actual examples right in front of us (rahter than hypotheticals) maybe we'd get a useful discussion

Dont forget to take some triangular, ribbed, or other 'blade' variations (such as those that caused that horrific injury) and ask everyone whether any of those examples would also pass the 'optional' :wtf: glancing & raking tests A&B listed in Regulation 12 Appendix 2.

It's even arguable that even a spring loaded 70mm glance test, doesn't accurately replicate cleat/stud propensity to injure in a match scenario.

:shrug:

If anyone can get their society/CB or Union to give a written position beyond the standard liability GOoJFC of "its up to the referee to decide" ( knowing that he isnt equipped to accurately assess) then please share it.
We're :deadhorse:on this IMO, 'referees are absorbing the risk, everyone will run for cover and leave the 'referee lamb' to his own fate.

As a reminder, here is the stud dimensions deemed to be the benchmark standard, from which all 'propensity to injure comparisons' need to be made.

http://images.pitchero.com/ui/1462065/1415270643_9580.jpg

I stumbled across this illustration on the WWW , posted by a UK rugby club, who themselves deal with this subject in this way on their website
http://www.newarkrugby.com/news/correct-stud-sizes-1324925.html

TheBFG
03-02-15, 15:02
So you admit to turning a blind eye to a red card offense and thinking that is acceptable. WOW!!!

No, I told him to change them!!!!

Accylad
04-02-15, 22:02
I have in effect been turning something of a blind eye. I note that they are illegal, I say that I could insist that the player changes the studs and not play if he can't, that a future ref might do that but that for today I won't insist. Had I not done that last Saturday 2 players on one team and 3 on the other would not have played.

Generally speaking with a stud issue, say a missing one at the rear, I ask the player to come and see me before the teams run out to confirm that it is replaced.

I spoke to our Chairman today. He was, as I expected, supportive. The issue will be raised at Committtee and i suggested it might be an issue for the Society or CB to communicate to clubs which he agreed might be sensible.

Pinky
04-02-15, 23:02
This is a difficult area and WR and their regs don't help. Reg 12 gives as shown above a standard stud, but it is clear that other designs are OK as long as they are no more likely to cause injury. Adidas challenged the IRB about Predator "blades" and the were allowed. I believe that Adidas claim all their current football boots are OK for rugby. Certainly they seem to do rugby versions of most high end boots. Reg 12 suggests it is for manufacturers to confirm their boots are suitable, but most don't. So where are we with Nike new narrow studs? Frankly I don't know and without testing equipment I would not be able to judge. Are they more dangerous? I really don't know. I presume that Nike would say they were safe as although rugby type contact is more frequent, it is reasonably foreseeable to happen in Wendy ball. So although I don't like them, I concentrate on sharp edges and worn or missing studs. Gilbert and Canterbury both make boots with studs made of two or more materials which are not like the standard studs, but which I presume have been designed to be safe for rugby.

Why do WR regs and law not help? Well they removed the no single stud at the toe from law, but left Reg 12 saying boots must not be designed to have a single stud at the toe whilst permitting the Adidas FF 80. IMHO they should have changed Reg 12 and only allowed in law boots that were designed to have one stud at the toe.

All this is why I concentrate on worn and/or missing studs that have the chance of being more dangerous than unworn and complete sole/stud combinations.

TheBFG
05-02-15, 11:02
I have in effect been turning something of a blind eye. I note that they are illegal, I say that I could insist that the player changes the studs and not play if he can't, that a future ref might do that but that for today I won't insist. Had I not done that last Saturday 2 players on one team and 3 on the other would not have played.

Generally speaking with a stud issue, say a missing one at the rear, I ask the player to come and see me before the teams run out to confirm that it is replaced.

I spoke to our Chairman today. He was, as I expected, supportive. The issue will be raised at Committtee and i suggested it might be an issue for the Society or CB to communicate to clubs which he agreed might be sensible.

I've done the same, but to date not had a response, it makes sense that we both do this as obviously we have teams that cross over at certain levels in our areas :wink:

Shelflife
05-02-15, 15:02
Had a player with those narrow studs a few weeks a go, to me they looked extremely dangerous, Funnily enough they had the number 10 on them implying to me at least that they were the required 10mm when they clearly werent.

Luckily for him he had a spare pair of boots.

Andyp
06-02-15, 13:02
We wouldn't think twice about stopping a player having a go at prop if they weren't suitably trained because it is dangerous, so why would we consider allowing players to use studs that are considered dangerous. Both could result in serious injury.

Players and coaches being inconvenienced because players are not properly dressed, isn't a good enough reason to ignore safety.

FlipFlop
06-02-15, 14:02
While I agree in principal - the issue in "non-rugby" countries is simple. Getting hold of rugby boots is very difficult. I would guess that if we were really strict on this, then in some games over 50% of players would not play. Games would not happen. Players would go play something else.

Decorily
06-02-15, 14:02
So where are we with Nike new narrow studs? Frankly I don't know and without testing equipment I would not be able to judge. Are they more dangerous? I really don't know.

I don't know if they are more dangerous either. But I am being told by the IRFU that they are and that will do me!!

Pinky
09-02-15, 01:02
I don't know if they are more dangerous either. But I am being told by the IRFU that they are and that will do me!!

Have the IRFU actually put it in writing that thee studs are more dangerous? If so can U post that communication?

Decorily
09-02-15, 13:02
Have the IRFU actually put it in writing that thee studs are more dangerous? If so can U post that communication?

Actually, no they haven't and I am wrong to suggest they have.

However they have put in writing that they are illegal!

I am not technically proficient enough to post the email here but will quote an excerpt....

Quote...It has come to our (IRFU Referees department) attention that the studs in the Nike boot shown in the attached photos do not conform to the IRB's regulation 12 and as such are illegal.

ctrainor
11-02-15, 15:02

Well I'm off work bored at the moment so I thought I'd take a look at my legal boots and compare them to my son's football boots.
At First glance the football boots seem OK but in fact although the studs are not sharp or burred the are illegal according to reg 12.
I wonder how many on here would let them go? to be honest I probably would

Anyway, just been to poundland and bought some spanners/stud gauges which will help me justify my decisions when I don't let people on the pitch with dangerous studs

Accylad
05-03-15, 19:03
We have some advise.

This has been taken to Steve Harland. Steve has said that this issue has been passed by RFU to WR. This issue has come up at Premiership level with the complication of players sponsored by Nike wanting to use the kit their sponsors pay them to use.....

For the time being I was told just to make sure the studs are not sharp until WR make a ruling.

So! Some clarity at least. This advise will be distributed to Gloucester and District refs at our next meeting I beleive.

Taff
05-03-15, 21:03
... This issue has come up at Premiership level with the complication of players sponsored by Nike wanting to use the kit their sponsors pay them to use...
And there's nothing stopping the Premiership players using the kit their sponsors pay them to use .... as long as they change the studs to legal studs.

I'm afraid I can't see what's complicated about it.

Have the IRFU actually put it in writing that thee studs are more dangerous?
Common sense tells you that narrow studs are going to sting more than studs which conform to Regulation 12.

Imagine you were at the bottom of a ruck, and were being "raked" - firstly by narrow illegal studs and secondly by proper rugby studs, conforming to Regulation 12. Which one do you think will hurt most?

TheBFG
10-03-15, 13:03
so is this the confirmation we're waiting for? taken from ........

Introduction:
Welcome to the 7th Match Official Update for the 2014-15 season.

Players Clothing – studs of players’ boots
Following recent questions from different parts of the country, it is timely to re-iterate,
Law 4 – Players Clothing, particularly as this relates to studs of players’ boots.
The World Rugby Rugby Committee has stated that Studs of players’ boots must conform with World Rugby Specifications (Regulation 12) and Law 4.3.
Law 4.3 – Studs states that:
a) Studs of players’ boots must conform with the World Rugby Specifications (Regulation 12).
b) Moulded rubber multi-studded soles are acceptable provided they have no sharp edges or ridges.
Unions are requested to remind Referees in their jurisdiction that they are obliged in accordance with World Rugby Law 4.5 to inspect player’s clothing and studs for conformity to the Laws and Regulations of the Game.
If the referee decides that the clothing does not conform with Law or Regulation and in the case of studs specifically, the studs are burring, sharp or abrasive or liable to cause injury to a player then the referee must order the player to remove it or them (or, as appropriate change boots).
The player must not take part in the match until the offending items of clothing are removed.
In summary;
1. There are no longer any restrictions on the configuration of studs or use of blades;
2. Studs, when present, must comply with World Rugby Regulation 12;
3. Referees must be vigilant to ensure that studs with sharp or abrasive edges are not worn.

TheBFG
08-04-15, 09:04
Those Nike Boots

So since the thread above who's been making players change these boots? I for one have, however I do feel a bit of a jobsworth :shrug: in the last week I have reffed an academy u17's match, 6 players had these Nike boots and when I told them they couldn't play with them they ALL said, but I've been playing in them for weeks/months etc. Sunday I was a spectator at the Wellington International Festival and could see at least one player in every side wearing them. And then of course to top it off at the weekend in the Euro matches there are various players wearing them.........

Although I'm going to stick to my guns on not letting players wear them for my last 2/3 matches of the season, you do feel a bit of a prat!

Phil E
08-04-15, 10:04
Those Nike Boots

Sunday I was a spectator at the Wellington International Festival and could see at least one player in every side wearing them. And then of course to top it off at the weekend in the Euro matches there are various players wearing them.........

They could be wearing the boots, but have changed the studs?

Browner
Those Nike Boots

So since the thread above who's been making players change these boots? I for one have, however I do feel a bit of a jobsworth :shrug: in the last week I have reffed an academy u17's match, 6 players had these Nike boots and when I told them they couldn't play with them they ALL said, but I've been playing in them for weeks/months etc. Sunday I was a spectator at the Wellington International Festival and could see at least one player in every side wearing them. And then of course to top it off at the weekend in the Euro matches there are various players wearing them.........

Although I'm going to stick to my guns on not letting players wear them for my last 2/3 matches of the season, you do feel a bit of a prat!

And whilst this subject continues to be 'not addressed' through non specific identification of the problem ( ie... 'generally' worded memos don't address). Then this problem won't go away. Keep insisting, its the only way to get the message across. Referees that wilfully ignore this subject instead choosing easy life, likely ignore other safety issues.

I've taken to addressing this subject as soon as I arrive, telling captains that there is an issue with some Nike studs so I want an early studs check , & he should prepare his players.

I'm seeing average c.1.5 per match !

Phil E
I'm seeing average c.1.5 per match !

Which players are wearing one Nike boot only? :sarc:

TheBFG
08-04-15, 11:04
They could be wearing the boots, but have changed the studs?

they still had the narrow studs :wink:

Dan_A
Introduction:
Welcome to the 7th Match Official Update for the 2014-15 season.

Players Clothing – studs of players’ boots
Following recent questions from different parts of the country, it is timely to re-iterate,
Law 4 – Players Clothing, particularly as this relates to studs of players’ boots.
The World Rugby Rugby Committee has stated that Studs of players’ boots must conform with World Rugby Specifications (Regulation 12) and Law 4.3.
Law 4.3 – Studs states that:
a) Studs of players’ boots must conform with the World Rugby Specifications (Regulation 12).
b) Moulded rubber multi-studded soles are acceptable provided they have no sharp edges or ridges.
Unions are requested to remind Referees in their jurisdiction that they are obliged in accordance with World Rugby Law 4.5 to inspect player’s clothing and studs for conformity to the Laws and Regulations of the Game.
If the referee decides that the clothing does not conform with Law or Regulation and in the case of studs specifically, the studs are burring, sharp or abrasive or liable to cause injury to a player then the referee must order the player to remove it or them (or, as appropriate change boots).
The player must not take part in the match until the offending items of clothing are removed.
In summary;
1. There are no longer any restrictions on the configuration of studs or use of blades;
2. Studs, when present, must comply with World Rugby Regulation 12;
3. Referees must be vigilant to ensure that studs with sharp or abrasive edges are not worn.

Please could someone explain the difference between "ridges" on moulded soles (that are illegal) and "blades" that are legal?

crossref
Please could someone explain the difference between "ridges" on moulded soles (that are illegal) and "blades" that are legal?

Its an ambiguity in the phrasing.
I read the reg as

b) Moulded rubber multi-studded soles are acceptable provided they have no sharp [edges or ridges]
so there is no problem with ridges as long as they aren't sharp.

you are reading it as

b) Moulded rubber multi-studded soles are acceptable provided they have no [sharp edges] or [ridges].

either could be correct, I suppose.

Phil E
08-04-15, 12:04

It's not ridges that are illegal.
It's sharp ridges that are illegal.

In the same way blades are ok, but sharp blades are not.

ctrainor
08-04-15, 12:04

Well I'm off work bored at the moment so I thought I'd take a look at my legal boots and compare them to my son's football boots.
At First glance the football boots seem OK but in fact although the studs are not sharp or burred the are illegal according to reg 12.
I wonder how many on here would let them go? to be honest I probably would

Anyway, just been to poundland and bought some spanners/stud gauges which will help me justify my decisions when I don't let people on the pitch with dangerous studs

This is what my lads illegal boots did to one of his work colleagues total accident in a football kick about after worK