PDA

View Full Version : Anyone see the cricket?

The Fat
09-03-15, 19:03
And no, I'm not talking about Jiminy.

Ian_Cook
09-03-15, 22:03
I think you will struggle for an answer Fat. Those living within the boundaries of the EWCB will either have their heads in their hands, or will still be hung-over from the drowning of their sorrows.

It will be a considerable source of amusement to L'Irlandais et al who hail from the Emerald Isles, that Ireland are still in it while England are on their way home.

This odd thing for me watching last night was that I started off thinking this could be an upset, and then realising at the end, that it wasn't!!!

Lee Lifeson-Peart
09-03-15, 22:03
I think Lord Boycott of Fitzwilliam sums it up with a lot fewer expletives than most would be tempted to use.

Shit crickeeet! (http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cricket/31795576)

Pegleg
09-03-15, 23:03
Well I for one enjoyed it. Nothing like seeing England (EWCB is a lie otherwise the team would be England and Wales) stuffed and on the way home early.

Dickie E
Those living within the boundaries of the EWCB will either have their heads in their hands, or will still be hung-over from the drowning of their sorrows.

or "cricket? Who's interested in that? Played by toffee public school types, blah, blah, blah"

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/row-zed/japan-cricket-association-poke-fun-5298999

SimonSmith
Bangladesh did well to avoid an upset

chbg
10-03-15, 00:03
ECB = England and Wales Cricket Board. One of the minnows of One Day international cricket.

menace
10-03-15, 01:03
This thread is far too short....there is so much material we could heap Englund.

They have gone awfully quiet since 3 ashes series ago....such a distant memory now!

Drift
10-03-15, 02:03
I made this today to deal with the amount of slack I was getting from mates. Seems to sum up my feelings well.
https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpf1/v/t1.0-9/11038122_10153086806473116_2561878664413981769_n.j pg?oh=741a30c625966132d81ebde22ff040a5&oe=5584C56C&__gda__=1433957395_c88352c4b9a1e8273847316cbcc5e5d f

crossref
10-03-15, 10:03
I blame the security services, they need to do more to stop radicalised young Englishmen going abroad to play cricket.

The Fat
Wonder if KP is having a little party inside?

Ian_Cook
I blame the security services, they need to do more to stop radicalised young Englishmen going abroad to play cricket.

Englishmen!!! **Cough, splutter**, Andrew Strauss, Kevin Pietersen, Matt Prior, Ian Trott, Owais Shah, ***cough, splutter***

didds
10-03-15, 12:03
This odd thing for me watching last night was that I started off thinking this could be an upset, and then realising at the end, that it wasn't!!!

IIRC Bangladesh have won 3 out of their last 4 encounters against England now.

England have had this coming for YEARS now. It is certainly years since they have had any semblance of an iota of a scooby about hpow to win a 50 over cricket game. I rarely go for wholescale sackings but its got so bad now surely it is the only way.

Get rid of Downton and everyone south of him, appoint new positions and ditch the old, tried and tested and start with clean sheet and 15 x 20 year olds. with s team that can qualify for the quarter finals, eight years for semifinalists.

KP does not feature in this still - this is about new brooms sweeping cleanest.

The test side is not far off a similar fate - one year (14 tests) to prove themselves capable of still being selectable/employed. NB : 50 years ago 14 tests may well have been one reasonble but not outstanding test player's career!

didds

Pegleg
10-03-15, 13:03
ECB = England and Wales Cricket Board.

And therein liees the reason I'll never support them

E BLANK C B is the England Cricket Board. No interest in Welsh Cricket from them at all. Just lip service. Glad to see them stuffed!

Browner
10-03-15, 13:03
Re:
I think you will struggle for an answer Fat. Those living within the boundaries of the EWCB will either have their heads in their hands, or will still be hung-over from the drowning of their sorrows.

It will be a considerable source of amusement to L'Irlandais et al who hail from the Emerald Isles, that Ireland are still in it while England are on their way home.

An odder observation is, had other members of RR.com ( or me! ) posted similarly worded 'proddings' at any failings of the teams that the poster supports then they would be painted by this writer as a troll or a nationalistic bad guy or a cad of the highest order ....

Such banterish poking! Who cares, indeed I'm happy to laugh at England's failings and both welcome the goading associated with the lowly performance, long may humour attach itself to sport I say ...

Just wait to see what happens at RWC15 if the chokers exit

But the hypocrissy/ double standard is well and truely noted and now highlighted.

Now watch this post get Mod deleted. Lol.

Browner
10-03-15, 14:03
Japan trolling the ECB .... Priceless..lol

Japan Cricket Assoc. @CricketJapan (https://twitter.com/CricketJapan)
Follow (https://twitter.com/CricketJapan)
Dear @ECB_cricket (https://twitter.com/ECB_cricket), this might not be a great time, but as there's room in your schedule, fancy a game in Japan on the way home? #challenge (https://twitter.com/hashtag/challenge?src=hash)
12:21 PM - 9 Mar 2015 (https://twitter.com/CricketJapan/status/574907892786053121)

Dixie
10-03-15, 18:03
What is this Cricket of which you speak?

Dickie E
10-03-15, 22:03
Re:

An odder observation is, had other members of RR.com ( or me! ) posted similarly worded 'proddings' at any failings of the teams that the poster supports then they would be painted by this writer as a troll or a nationalistic bad guy or a cad of the highest order ....

Such banterish poking! Who cares, indeed I'm happy to laugh at England's failings and both welcome the goading associated with the lowly performance, long may humour attach itself to sport I say ...

Just wait to see what happens at RWC15 if the chokers exit

But the hypocrissy/ double standard is well and truely noted and now highlighted.

Now watch this post get Mod deleted. Lol.

Browner, you point is well made and duly noted. Do you know the difference between your cricket team and a teabag? The teabag stays in the cup longer.

Now less than 200 sleeps until RWC2015 :pepper:

Adam
11-03-15, 13:03
Cricket is a summer sport right? Winter has just finished...

Shelflife
11-03-15, 14:03
Interesting that they are going to reduce the numbers for the next WC, of course all the "big teams" will qualify automatically and the "minnows" will have to qualify for a reduced number of places.

Brilliant plan to spread the game. Its tournaments like this that pique the interest of people in countries like Ireland to try the game. Huge publicity over here on the back of this tournament.

Pegleg
12-03-15, 21:03
What is this Cricket of which you speak?

No wonder they struggled.

Pegleg
12-03-15, 22:03
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10206456598441664&set=a.2041526285692.2125117.1470372023&type=1

Browner
13-03-15, 02:03
United Arab Emirates:
Amjad Ali,
Andri Berenger,
Krishna Chandran,
Khurram Khan,
Shaiman Anwar,
Swapnil Patil,
Rohan Mustafa,
Amjad Javed,
Mohammad Naveed,
Mohammad Tauqir (capt),
Manjula Guruge,
Saqlain Haider,
Nasir Aziz,
Fahad Al Hashmi,
Kamran Shahzad.

Should cricket just ditch national identity & become franchised ???

Dickie E
13-03-15, 05:03
The English cricket team visited an orphanage in Adelaide recently. "it was sad to see the look of despair and hopelessness on their little faces" said Ryan, aged 6

damo
13-03-15, 09:03
United Arab Emirates:
Amjad Ali,
Andri Berenger,
Krishna Chandran,
Khurram Khan,
Shaiman Anwar,
Swapnil Patil,
Rohan Mustafa,
Amjad Javed,
Mohammad Naveed,
Mohammad Tauqir (capt),
Manjula Guruge,
Saqlain Haider,
Nasir Aziz,
Fahad Al Hashmi,
Kamran Shahzad.

Say what?

Pegleg
13-03-15, 12:03
United Arab Emirates:
Amjad Ali,
Andri Berenger,
Krishna Chandran,
Khurram Khan,
Shaiman Anwar,
Swapnil Patil,
Rohan Mustafa,
Amjad Javed,
Mohammad Naveed,
Mohammad Tauqir (capt),
Manjula Guruge,
Saqlain Haider,
Nasir Aziz,
Fahad Al Hashmi,
Kamran Shahzad.

No it should revert to being about countries. This nonsense is pathetic.

Ian_Cook
13-03-15, 13:03
United Arab Emirates:

Amjad Ali, (Born October 10, 1988, Sharjah, UAE)
Andri Berenger, (Born August 29, 1991, Colombo, Sri Lanka))
Krishna Chandran, (Born August 24, 1984, Kollengode, Kerala, India)
Khurram Khan, (Born June 21, 1971, Multan, Punjab, Pakistan)
Shaiman Anwar,(Born March 15, 1979, Sialkot, Punjab)
Swapnil Patil, (Born April 15, 1985, Vadavali, Thane, India)
Rohan Mustafa, Born October 7, 1988, Kohat, Pakistan)
Amjad Javed, (Born July 5, 1980, Dubai, UAE
Mohammad Naveed,(Born June 3, 1987,Jamshedpur, Jharkhand, India)
Mohammad Tauqir (capt), (Born January 14, 1972, Dubai, UAE)
Manjula Guruge,(Born February 14, 1981, Ambalangoda, Sri Lanka)
Saqlain Haider, (Born August 10, 1987, Rawalpindi, Pakistan)
Nasir Aziz, (Born June 16, 1986, Karachi, Pakistan)
Fahad Al Hashmi, (Born July 31, 1982, Dubai, UAE)
Kamran Shahzad. (Born August 25, 1980, Gujranwala, Punjab, Pakistan)

Should cricket just ditch national identity & become franchised ???[/FONT]

Thats four out of a starting XI; over 33% home grown talent. More than England had a few years back. Didn't they start a test match a while back with 7 out of 11 players foreign born?

And remember that cricketers have much tougher criteria than Rugby players for selection when playing for a country not of their birth.

2. the Player is able to demonstrate (by his/her possession of a valid passport issued by the relevant country (It takes three years residency to become a citizen of the UAE and even then its not a given) that he/she is a national of the relevant country; or

3. the Player is a Resident of the relevant country, in other words:
3.1 the Player has resided in the relevant country for a minimum of 183 days in each of the immediately preceding two years (female Players only);
3.2 the Player has resided in the relevant country for a minimum of 183 days in each of the immediately preceding four years (male Players only and only two players in starting XI can play under this qualification, any more have to comply with 3.3); or
3.3 the Player has resided in the relevant country for a minimum of 183 days in each of the immediately preceding seven years (male Players only).

Additionally, because UAE is an Associate member, not a full member, it has further restrictions...

In addition, where a male Player is seeking to qualify to play for an Associate or Affiliate Member, he must also satisfy at least one of the following criteria:
4. the Player has played in a minimum of 50% of the domestic league matches that his club team was scheduled to play within the relevant domestic structure in any 3 of the preceding 5 domestic league seasons;
5. the Player has spent a cumulative total of at least 100 working days in the relevant country coaching cricket, playing cricket or working in the administration or development of cricket in that country in the immediately preceding 5 years; or
6. the Player has previously represented the relevant country at Under-19 level or above after satisfying the additional Development Criteria in these Regulations or similar requirements under predecessor eligibility regulations.

Under those rules, no NZ born Samoan players could play for Samoa if they played all their rugby in Europe; they would have to come back and play in the Pacific Rugby Cup for at least half the games in 3 out of every 5 years

Browner
13-03-15, 13:03
United Arab Emirates:
Amjad Ali, Lahore (http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lahore), Punjab (http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punjab_(Pakistan)), PAK
Andri Berenger, SRI
Krishna Chandran, IND
Khurram Khan, PAK
Shaiman Anwar, IND
Swapnil Patil, IND
Rohan Mustafa, PAK
Amjad Javed, DUBAI
Mohammad Naveed, IND
Mohammad Tauqir (capt), DUBAI
Manjula Guruge, SRI
Saqlain Haider, PAK
Nasir Aziz, PAK
Fahad Al Hashmi, DUBAI
Kamran Shahzad. PAK

Now Includes place of birth.

Q? Should cricket just ditch national identity & become franchised ???

With 80% of the squad born in another country ( not picking on UAE as they aren't unique on this - just an obvious/extreme reference) is cricket the worst example of national switching (for $?) In mainstream 'world' sport ?

OB..
13-03-15, 17:03
With 80% of the squad born in another country ( not picking on UAE as they aren't unique on this - just an obvious/extreme reference) is cricket the worst example of national switching (for $?) In mainstream 'world' sport ?Place of birth is not a satisfactory guide to nationality. I know people born to British parents in various countries. They are all still British (and sometimes have a second nationality as well eg my grandson in the USA).

I don't claim that is the case here, but if we are going to make comparisons with other countries we had better get it right.

Ian_Cook
13-03-15, 20:03
With 80% of the squad born in another country ( not picking on UAE as they aren't unique on this - just an obvious/extreme reference) is cricket the worst example of national switching (for $?) In mainstream 'world' sport ?

No, that honour would fall variously to Rugby League, Yachting and Netball. On the contrary, cricket is one of the most difficult sports in which to switch countries. Ever heard of Graham Hick?

If you have played for one country, you have to stand down for five years, and spend at least 50% of that stand down time living in, and playing cricket in your adopted country before becoming eligible

Even if you have never played for a country, if you weren't born there then you have to become a citizen of that country, or failing that you have to be a resident for either four or seven years (depending on the number of other foreign born players in the team) and you have to play at least half the domestic competition matches in your adoptive country for three of the previous five years before you become eligible.

Every one of those UAE players is a UAE citizen and passport holder. They have all lived and worked in UAE for at least four years or seven years, and play most if not all of their cricket there.

Under these criteria there would be a considerable number of international rugby players who have played for countries like Italy, Argentina, Wales, Scotland, and the Pacific Island nations who would never have been eligible.

Ian_Cook
13-03-15, 20:03
Place of birth is not a satisfactory guide to nationality. I know people born to British parents in various countries. They are all still British (and sometimes have a second nationality as well eg my grandson in the USA).

Simon Shaw, born i Kenya to British parents
George Gregan, born in Zambia to a Zimbabwean mother and an Australia Father

dave_clark
13-03-15, 21:03
No, that honour would fall variously to Rugby League, Yachting and Netball. On the contrary, cricket is one of the most difficult sports in which to switch countries. Ever heard of Graham Hick?

yep, and wasn't that a worthwhile wait...

:biggrin:

Ian_Cook
14-03-15, 00:03
yep, and wasn't that a worthwhile wait...

:biggrin:

I thought that when I wrote it, but I wasn't going to say it! :pepper: