PDA

View Full Version : called MARK after penalty rebounds off post

CrouchTPEngage
10-03-15, 08:03
Never had this before, player caught a rebounded penalty attempt and shouted MARK about 3 m from his try-line.
i allowed it (as it wasnt from a restart) but now not sure i was right.
Was I?

damo
10-03-15, 09:03
You made the right decision. There is nothing in the laws that state that a Mark cannot be taken off a PK attempt ("that which is not forbidden is allowed") and the law explicitly states that a Mark can be made from a kick that bounces off a post.

Good call.

Camquin
10-03-15, 09:03
It seems to meet all the definitions of a mark.
You can make a mark after the ball hits the goal post or crossbar (law 18 definitions)

The Fat
10-03-15, 10:03
Good call. Well done.

Taff
10-03-15, 18:03
... There is nothing in the laws that state that a Mark cannot be taken off a PK attempt ("that which is not forbidden is allowed")....
There seems to be some general confusion about when a Mark is allowed.

The easiest way to think of it by far, is that a Mark can be called from any direct kick from an opponent - except for a Kick off or a restart at the centre.

Job done. This includes drop kicks, punts, PK, FK, 22m Drop outs etc. There's no need to complicate it.

The player deserves a pat on the back for asking for one under pressure, and CTPE deserves a pat on the back for allowing it. :clap:

winchesterref
10-03-15, 19:03
This was one I got wrong in my first season - looked it up and spoke to the player in the bar to confirm he was correct!

damo
11-03-15, 05:03
There seems to be some general confusion about when a Mark is allowed.

The easiest way to think of it by far, is that a Mark can be called from any direct kick from an opponent - except for a Kick off or a restart at the centre.

Job done. This includes drop kicks, punts, PK, FK, 22m Drop outs etc. There's no need to complicate it.

The player deserves a pat on the back for asking for one under pressure, and CTPE deserves a pat on the back for allowing it. :clap:
I am still waiting to award my first Mark from a 22m dropout though.

Dickie E
11-03-15, 08:03

... or a conversion attempt :)

Taff
11-03-15, 09:03
I am still waiting to award my first Mark from a 22m dropout though.
I've never seen it happen either, but a player is allowed to call a Mark from a 22DO if he wanted to.

Pegleg
11-03-15, 11:03
If the kick is compulsory then no mark, for any other it's ok.

SimonSmith
11-03-15, 12:03
This was one I got wrong in my first season - looked it up and spoke to the player in the bar to confirm he was correct!

"Huh? I was? That's lucky then"

crossref
11-03-15, 12:03

not so, as you can call a mark from a 22m drop out.

OB..
11-03-15, 14:03
... or a conversion attempt :)Nice one!

The law is not very clear but we all know that the ball is not live at a conversion attempt. You cannot play on if it misses.

Taff
11-03-15, 15:03
The opponents have to kick a PK, and a FK and a 22m DO yet a Mark can still be called for.

buff
11-03-15, 16:03
The opponents have to kick a PK, and a FK and a 22m DO yet a Mark can still be called for.
You don't have to kick a PK, nor a FK. You can choose a scrum. You must kick a 22DO.

Dan_A
13-03-15, 10:03
Just out of interest, if a player called mark from a kickoff what would you do?

I'm assuming its a loud shout of play on?

But what if you feel that the player deliberately called mark from a kickoff in an attempt to confuse people. At the level I play at I can imagine this buying me a few seconds to run the ball back!!!

Pegleg
13-03-15, 13:03

not so, as you can call a mark from a 22m drop out.

Tap and go for the first two ( or scrum) with a 22 the ball only has to cross the 22. so it can effectively be tapped accross the line on the ground. YOu do not have to present a chance to catch the ball.

Pegleg

But what if you feel that the player deliberately called mark from a kickoff in an attempt to confuse people. At the level I play at I can imagine this buying me a few seconds to run the ball back!!!

I'd judge it. I'd choose from:

1; play on with a loud shout.

or

2; PK (10.4 (m)

Depends on the game (level / tempers etc)

OB..
with a 22 the ball only has to cross the 22.Usually, but13.13 (c) If the ball does not cross the 22-metre line, advantage may apply. An opponent who plays the ball can score a try.

Browner
13-03-15, 14:03

Yes - Play on,

How could you ever decide that ? , on a subject that is so misunderstood by even referees !
Try it, Good luck to you, you might get the mark awarded