PDA

View Full Version : Shot at goal touched

aussie battler
02-04-15, 03:04
I am just having a mind blank,

From conversion or drop kick at goal touched by a charging down player does the points count if it goes over??

talbazar
02-04-15, 05:04
9.A.2 Kick at goal - special circumstances
(a) If after the ball is kicked, it touches the ground or any team-mate of the kicker, a goal cannot be scored.
Score stands for me!

Pierre.

Dickie E
02-04-15, 06:04
I remember a few years back a conversion shot at goal was going to fall well short. One of the non-kicking team had another ball in his hands with which to take the restart. As he jogged out from under the posts he hit the ball in flight with the ball in his hands. If you've ever dropped a basketball onto another basketball, you'll be able to picture the ball that was falling short now gaining a new lease of life and flying over the crossbar.

I didn't award the conversion - maybe I should have :)

Taff
02-04-15, 08:04
I would say the kick was good, and the points stand.

Ian_Cook
02-04-15, 09:04
I am just having a mind blank,

From conversion or drop kick at goal touched by a charging down player does the points count if it goes over??

Score's good

(You might be thinking of RL.
A few years back, they used to disallow a Drop Goal if a defender touched the ball in flight. This Law was changed around 2005)

OB..
02-04-15, 15:04
I don't remember the exact year but it was in the 1960s that the law was changed. On the first weekend of the new season, apparently the only person in the country to take advantage of it was our 3rd XV fullback. His penalty attempt hit an opposing prop square between the shoulder blades and bounced over the bar.