PDA

View Full Version : "Penalty Try" - Is the referee right? (video attached)

dhammikaheenpella
28-06-15, 17:06
In a match concluded this evening, the referee awarded a Penalty Try to the RED team. For me, it looks like the defender in YELLOW/BLUE team made an attempt to clear the ball by kicking it away.

But referee/touch judge decide otherwise. Is the defender's attempt is a Penalty Try offence?

May I have your opinion please.

Pls. see 7.25 on the timeline bar:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueFTesnDyoQ

Thank you

Dhammika Heenpella

Browner
28-06-15, 18:06
Without hearing the AR conversation or what the referee says to the players - he seems to indicate a 'push' offence. IF this is correct [?] then the defender can consider himself 'unlucky' as it looked marginal 'if any' to me.

I Haven't watched the whole match, but went to see whether this try was the crucial score difference, in doing so

17:59.34 - I can't see much advantage accruing , surprised we got to the 'argy-bargy' without a PK being awarded earlier

18:02.50 - BC clearly detaches from the Maul, then rejoins in a fairly clear obstruction.

18:03.21 - To3 'unhappy' about some verbal intervention by ??? 'Mr Pink Shirt?

OB..
28-06-15, 20:06
For me, Blue/Yellow 15 clearly pushes Red 13 out of the way to get at the ball and kick it dead. If they had been shoulder to shoulder, that would have been legal, but he is behind the red player who would otherwise have been able to fall on the ball to score. PT and YC

Ian_Cook
28-06-15, 21:06
For me, Blue/Yellow 15 clearly pushes Red 13 out of the way to get at the ball and kick it dead. If they had been shoulder to shoulder, that would have been legal, but he is behind the red player who would otherwise have been able to fall on the ball to score. PT and YC

Yellow 15 pushes Red 13 away and then its hard to tell if either, or if any, which player makes contact with the ball, but it looks like Yellow 14 kicks the ball dead if it wasn't already.

So to answer the OP's question, there was nothing illegal about the way the ball was made dead. Its the push in the back by Yellow 15 that would have been the reason for the PT

Law 10.4 (f) Playing an opponent without the ball. Except in a scrum, ruck or maul, a player who is not in possession of the ball must not hold, push or obstruct an opponent not carrying the ball.
Sanction: Penalty kick

Remember that a Penalty Try is not a punishment, it is given for the try that would have been scored but for the foul play. A PT is usually accompanied by a YC against the player who commits the foul play if he can be identified.

22.17 MISCONDUCT OR UNFAIR PLAY IN IN-GOAL
(b) Foul play by the defending team. The referee awards a penalty try if a try would probably have been scored but for foul play by the defending team.
The referee awards a penalty try if a try would probably have been scored in a better position but for foul play by the defending team.
A penalty try is awarded between the goal posts. The defending team may charge the conversion kick after a penalty try.
A player who prevents a try being scored through foul play must either be cautioned and temporarily suspended or sent off.

There should have been a YC for foul play against Yellow 15.

Browner
28-06-15, 21:06
The conditions were very challenging, especially so when chasing & diving on a kick chase at approximately 4m from Goal line at speed.

21.45 on vid.
Red chaser is rather fortunate to escape a 19.2 [h] "preventing the ball being thrown in" offence.

Pegleg
02-07-15, 16:07
It's a PT and YC for me. the push is clearly before the attempted kick of the ball.