PDA

View Full Version : [Tackle] Tackled player release (briefly) only to re-gather the ball all in 1 movement. Legal?

CrouchTPEngage
29-08-15, 16:08
I'm thinking I got this wrong but here goes.
Red 11 broke clear and only had the blue full-back to beat.
He was about 10 metres out from the try-line but the full-back did well to get a sort of tackle on the winger.
It was a couple of arms - just enough to knock Red11 over and bring him to ground. Red11 seemed to place the ball on the ground - get up from his knees and then pick up the ball immediately and walk over to score.
Cries of "not releasing, Sir" but I hadnt seen anything wrong. Yes- the tackle was made in that he went down on at least 1 knee and : Yes ; he had released the ball before getting back to his feet and picking it up again.
Actually it looked quite skilful.
So I awarded the try.

Afterwards, I checked wording of law 15.5(b). I'm pretty sure he didnt "move away from it at once". But, since there was no other defender likely to get near him, it probably made no difference.
So my question is - What constitutes "moving away at once" from the ball by a tackled player.

OB..
29-08-15, 16:08
If he clearly released and got to his feet, in my book he has moved away from the ball.

One point of clarification: was he being held when he went to ground? Just knocking him over is not enough to constitute a tackle.

Rushforth
29-08-15, 18:08
Cries of "not releasing, Sir" but I hadnt seen anything wrong.

It sounds like you did everything right and the cries are a human enough reaction. I find it very (too) easy to ignore them for the simple reason that often enough I won't have seen exactly what happened (and also slowing down these days).

From your join date you probably have more experience than me, but for the sake of those newer refs who aren't posting or lurking here, remember that during the game you are the sole judge (and jury).

My point is that you may have been right or wrong, but they did get into your head at least a little, to get you posting here. Newer refs may start doubting themselves, particularly if the crowd is also ... boisterous shall we say. So have a word with the captain (perhaps you did) since the conversion will take some time to tell the players not to appeal.

Classic ATP really; Ask, Tell, Penalty. If you get to a penalty, look at the score and time to go, and give a badly losing side (should I hyphenate?) some leeway of course.

Otherwise, I agree with OB.., it needs to be clear to you, not obvious to players standing way upfield.

CrouchTPEngage
29-08-15, 18:08
If he clearly released and got to his feet, in my book he has moved away from the ball.

One point of clarification: was he being held when he went to ground? Just knocking him over is not enough to constitute a tackle.

Thanks OB. Yes it was one of those steppy wingers v fullback tackles so not a full shoulder tackle but , nonetheless, the tacklers arm was on the tackled player as he went down. So 100% sure it was a tackle. The fullback then slipped off ( i.e. released the tackled player correctly ) but wasnt as quick to his feet as the attacking winger. Hence, it was probably just good skill so he got his reward.

Ian_Cook
29-08-15, 20:08
Sounds like you got it 100% right

If the ball carrier brought to ground but not held (ankle tapped, broke the tackle as he fell) he is entitled to get up with the ball stikll in his hands, but if he is brought to ground, held and then released, he must release the ball first, then get to his feet, then he is allowed to pick up the ball.

Dickie E
29-08-15, 21:08
Yes ; he had released the ball before getting back to his feet and picking it up again.

just make sure he doesn't knock the ball on in the act of releasing.

PS: time to change your name to CrouchBSet :)

damo
30-08-15, 00:08
If it happened as described then it is play on.

Just make sure that the tackled ball carrier gets completely to his feet before playing the ball - you don't want to see him start picking the ball up when he is on one knee and/or using the ball on the ground to push himself up.

didds
30-08-15, 10:08
but if he is brought to ground, held and then released

surely held, brought to ground, and released ?

didds

Ian_Cook
30-08-15, 12:08
surely held, brought to ground, and released ?

didds

I expect the tackler to still be holding the ball carrier when he is brought to ground. If the tackler lets go of the ball carrier before the ball carrier is brought to ground then the ball carrier has not been tackled. That is what a referee's call of "not held" means