PDA

View Full Version : Law clarification 7/2015

Blue Smartie
15-09-15, 11:09
Kicking the ball from a player's hands anywhere on the field (i.e. not just in goal) is foul play and penalisable

http://laws.worldrugby.org/?domain=10&year=2015&clarification=1016

leaguerefaus
15-09-15, 12:09
I'm glad there has been a clarification, but at the same time it is concerning that there needed to be one. If referees weren't penalising that, it is quite troubling.

OB..
15-09-15, 12:09
Isn't that what Colin Meads was sent off for?

crossref
15-09-15, 13:09
If it needs a 'clarification' then it needs to be actually written into the Laws. I hope we'll see an new item in Law 10 in the next Law book to explicitly state this.

Camquin
15-09-15, 15:09
Crossref

Doesn't that happen for all law clarifications - after all we get a new law book every year, surely they are not just changing the pictures. :-)

I'll get my coat.
Camquin

crossref
15-09-15, 15:09
Crossref

Doesn't that happen for all law clarifications - after all we get a new law book every year, surely they are not just changing the pictures. :-)

I'll get my coat.
Camquin

alas they don't seem to always do this ...

crossref
15-09-15, 16:09
I must say for me it has always seemed self-evidently dangerous play and I have always PK it when I have seen it (which TBH is pretty rare).

Crucial
15-09-15, 20:09
I'm glad there has been a clarification, but at the same time it is concerning that there needed to be one. If referees weren't penalising that, it is quite troubling.

Except in the in-goal situation it is getting quite common to see defenders sliding in with the feet (and sometimes swinging the boot) in what seems to have become an instinctive attempt to stop grounding. As long as they don't actually dislodge the ball the ref usually moves on with the try although it is plain to see it could have gone horribly wrong.
I think it is good that WR have placed a little warning out there.

Phil E
17-09-15, 09:09
:offtopic:

Taff's discussion on pre match briefs has been moved to its own thread, to keep this one on track.

http://www.rugbyrefs.com/showthread.php?19162-Pre-Match-Brief