PDA

View Full Version : New penalty positioning

lawsons
28-09-15, 22:09
Hi,

What is your take on the new positioning of penalties for foul play ? i.e. in 15m's. Given the size of some local park pitches, this is almost in line with the posts and a huge advantage if the previous penalty would have been on the 5m touch line. Surely this means that kicking for goal will become more prevalent when I thought the whole theme of rugby development was to encourage attacking/running play ?

When the kickers are as good as Biggar and Farrell who needs to give them an advantage ?

Decorily
30-09-15, 11:09
First I've heard of it!!

TheBFG
30-09-15, 11:09
Oh this is the new stuff for next season that is being trialled, the moving of the PK is the least of my worries for these proposed changes!

chrismtl
30-09-15, 16:09
Well if this is part of the new stuff for next season, then the point would be to improve the angle for the kick to touch so that kickers could get the ball deeper into the attacking territory. Don't forget that with the new law changes, tries will be worth 6 points with a 2 pt conversion kick and penalties will only be worth 2 points (1/4 of what a converted try is worth).

Phil E
Well if this is part of the new stuff for next season, then the point would be to improve the angle for the kick to touch so that kickers could get the ball deeper into the attacking territory. Don't forget that with the new law changes, tries will be worth 6 points with a 2 pt conversion kick and penalties will only be worth 2 points (1/4 of what a converted try is worth).

Point of order........They aren't law changes.......it's just a trial.

TheBFG
i didn't say it was a law change, you looking to get a ticket :wink:

Phil E
i didn't say it was a law change, you looking to get a ticket :wink:

Did I say you did?
Hows your new job as a parking attendant going anyway?
How do you cope with the abuse........oh wait, your used to it from the weekends :booty:

Don't forget that with the new law changes, tries will be worth ..........

chrismtl
30-09-15, 17:09
Well aware that they're just trials...wrote the message a bit hastily. Apparently it's a bit difficult for you to get the general idea of a post when there's a single wording error in it...changes instead of trials...shame on me

lawsons
30-09-15, 20:09
Hang on, nobody told me it was a trial. This was handed down by the RFU as what we had to do for this season. Are we all following it globally ?

crossref
30-09-15, 20:09
Hang on, nobody told me it was a trial. This was handed down by the RFU as what we had to do for this season. Are we all following it globally ?

he he! the secret email system.

so what's going on?
I haven't heard of it

For one thing, this is NOT part of the 2015 Trials - which are here
http://pulse-static-files.s3.amazonaws.com/test/worldrugby/document/2015/09/05/0b9c59b0-bd64-449d-94be-6d6ef938f7f2/150906_Law_Trials.pdf

so what is this ? some other trial?

Phil E
01-10-15, 09:10

Not heard anything about this in Warwickshire.

Anyone else other than Hampshire been told?

TheBFG
the link Crossref has put on shows where the trials are being used and can't see Hampshire on the list, in fact can't see anywhere in Eng at all :shrug:

TheBFG

Mmmmm did we miss that one, got a link somewhere?

Womble
01-10-15, 10:10
Has Lawsons not been listening proper like in class?? :pepper:

chbg
01-10-15, 10:10
the link Crossref has put on shows where the trials are being used and can't see Hampshire on the list, in fact can't see anywhere in Eng at all :shrug:

Army Premiership (= top tier of Corps matches, probably Level 7) are, according to World Rugby, trialing 'Touch' and 'Scrum Wheeled'; according to ARURS they are trialing 'Maul', 'Touch', 'Scrum wheeled' and 'In Goal Infringements' (x2).

TheBFG
01-10-15, 11:10
Army Premiership (= top tier of Corps matches, probably Level 7) are, according to World Rugby, trialing 'Touch' and 'Scrum Wheeled'; according to ARURS they are trialing 'Maul', 'Touch', 'Scrum wheeled' and 'In Goal Infringements' (x2).

but if you look at the link Crossref put up, none of the trialled stuff is in the Army comp :chin:

crossref
01-10-15, 11:10
but if you look at the link Crossref put up, none of the trialled stuff is in the Army comp :chin:

you need to page down !

chbg
01-10-15, 12:10

Page 5, Column 5 ...

TheBFG
01-10-15, 13:10
Page 5, Column 5 ...

That's as far as I went :chin:

Ah! My bad, it's on page 6 :wink:

lawsons
01-10-15, 22:10
3311Here you go :

- - - Updated - - -

Page 6. It says World rugby and makes no mention of trials.

chbg
That is referring to Law 10.4 (n) (Misconduct while ball is out of play) and is a direct quote from the 2015 Law Book.

Pinky
That is referring to Law 10.4 (n) (Misconduct while ball is out of play) and is a direct quote from the 2015 Law Book.

And has been law for a number of years.

TheBFG
02-10-15, 09:10
Mmmm agree that link Lawson has put on is a bit mis-leading when looked at in isolation, but agree with the posts above that's for PK's off the field.

Simon Thomas

No Hampshire have not been told, no Hampshire are not applying any of the next season's or this season's law trials (as defined by posts to above), and I read it that the in 15m sanction is applying to only off field offences (as it always has) - so some misinterpretation perhaps.

In Lawson's defence he is on Guernsey, so "overseas", and so like the Jersey and many Isle of Wight members, not able to attend monthly Society Meetings.

I was not aware that Army are involved in any trials (thanks CHBG) and now understand why Mr Voss picked up one of our L8s in the report for incorrect law re ELV foot in touch whilst catching kick deemed to have taken it into touch, referee applied current law. This was a L7 Corps match Royal Engineers v Royal Electrical Mechanical Engineers last Wednesday.

Simon Thomas
3311Here you go :

- - - Updated - - -

Page 6. It says World rugby and makes no mention of trials.

Lawsons - where did you get this deck from ?

Simon Thomas

Hampshire has not been told

crossref
02-10-15, 11:10
I was not aware that Army are involved in any trials (thanks CHBG) and now understand why Mr Voss picked up one of our L8s in the report for incorrect law re ELV foot in touch whilst catching kick deemed to have taken it into touch, referee applied current law. This was a L7 Corps match Royal Engineers v Royal Electrical Mechanical Engineers last Wednesday.

did the players notice? are they aware they are playing to ELVs ?
sounds like perhaps they are not :)

didds
02-10-15, 12:10
In Lawson's defence he is on Guernsey, so "overseas", and so like the Jersey and many Isle of Wight members, not able to attend monthly Society Meetings.

merely a suggestion... could such members just be on a conference call for such meetings?

didds

lawsons
02-10-15, 18:10
Ah gotcha. Will spread it around Guernsey. We all got the wrong impression and thought it applied to all penalties !!

lawsons
02-10-15, 18:10
Mind having just reread the attachment, it never mentioned it only applied to section n, which would have made a big difference so not going to be too hard on myself !

chbg
02-10-15, 19:10
Agreed, it required some detective work to identify why it referred to "same as for sections 110.4 (a) -(m)".

chbg
02-10-15, 19:10

did the players notice? are they aware they are playing to ELVs ?
sounds like perhaps they are not :)

Referees were told Friday 25th, with some confusion on the scope, as it was issued in a different document (hence my comment about World Rugby and RFU having a different perspective); suspect agreed at the AGM that week.

Since these are Representative teams, formed from personnel from many different units / clubs, their coaches would not have much time to understand and communicate the changes. They had not been available, or even mentioned, at the Corps Festival on 16th.

MM has my sympathies; one of the ARs does not have much experience: sod's law was that it occurred on his side!

The relevant trial is:

d) Change the Law so that a player who is in touch who catches or picks up a ball that has not reached the plane of touch is deemed to have taken the ball into touch.