PDA

View Full Version : [Law] Ball kicked directly into touch from a 22 Drop Out

mike_fernlea
03-11-15, 21:11
Hi all

In the World Cup Final at 32m 12s (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pSa3Zz9zuQ#t=43m45s), Adam Ashley-Cooper kicks the ball out on the full from a 22 Drop Out and a lineout is awarded to NZ where the ball crosses the line.

Shouldn't this be one of the following options to the defenders as per Law 13.14
To have another drop-out, or
To have a scrum at the centre of the 22-metre line, and they throw in the ball, or
To accept the kick. If they accept the kick, the throw-in is on the 22-metre line.

Or am I missing something?

Cheers

Mike

Lee Lifeson-Peart
03-11-15, 21:11
Hi all

In the World Cup Final at 32m 12s (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pSa3Zz9zuQ#t=43m45s), Adam Ashley-Cooper kicks the ball out on the full from a 22 Drop Out and a lineout is awarded to NZ where the ball crosses the line.

Shouldn't this be one of the following options to the defenders as per Law 13.14
To have another drop-out, or
To have a scrum at the centre of the 22-metre line, and they throw in the ball, or
To accept the kick. If they accept the kick, the throw-in is on the 22-metre line.

Or am I missing something?

Cheers

Mike

Mike

It's not a 22DO, it's a FK from the mark called by AAC - watch his bent arm (and Saint Nige's) after he catches Milner-Skudder's kick. Also note NZ line up 10m from the mark as opposed to a few? just over the 22m line.

mike_fernlea
03-11-15, 22:11
Mike

It's not a 22DO, it's a FK from the mark called by AAC - watch his bent arm (and Saint Nige's) after he catches Milner-Skudder's kick. Also note NZ line up 10m from the mark as opposed to a few? just over the 22m line.

That makes sense. Any idea what the Free Kick is for?

Lee Lifeson-Peart
03-11-15, 22:11
That makes sense. Any idea what the Free Kick is for?

Mark.

mike_fernlea
03-11-15, 23:11
Mark.

D'oh! Of course

Phil E
04-11-15, 12:11
Mark.

I thought his name was Mike?

mike_fernlea
04-11-15, 20:11
I thought his name was Mike?

Someone told me a story about a ref who penalised a player for calling the mark outside the 22 and causing the game to be stopped. His defense was he was calling his teammate, Mark

Dickie E
04-11-15, 21:11
Someone told me a story about a ref who penalised a player for calling the mark outside the 22 and causing the game to be stopped. His defense was he was calling his teammate, Mark

That was the same ref who heard the "mark" call, blew the whistle and looked around to see no-one. Turns out it was a dog with a hare-lip on the touch line.