PDA

View Full Version : 15 metre line

didds
23-02-05, 22:02
I was always uihder the impression that the lineout could not be extended past teh 15m line until the ball had left the hooker's hand.

has this changed?

The reason for asking is that it is clear watching the elite sras of the 6N that this area is flounted (if it is the case) - teams clearly back pedal their rear pod past the 15 metre line then the hooker throws long to them.

If it has altered I'd appreciate the nod on it (and I feel ambarrased at nort keeping upw uith something so fundamental) - or is it just another case iof one law for the top and another for the rest of us?

cheers

didds

OB..
23-02-05, 23:02
AFAIK the Law 19.15 (b) exception still applies.

To determine if the players have crossed the 15m line before the ball leaves the thrower's hands you have to be looking at two places at once. It is easier on TV. I suspect that is the explanation for what you have observed. I have certainly seen teams penalised for moving over the 15m line too early.

If the referee is not sure, he will not blow.

didds
24-02-05, 03:02
cheers OB!

didds

Simon Griffiths
12-03-05, 20:03
Technically a player can move beyond the 15m line (and his opposite number) to gather a ball - it is thrown to him (i.e. he can't do it if it's going to number 2 jumper!). The issue on pods is a different matter. Two of them won't be getting the ball, therby, only a third of them are 'onside'.

On another 15m point, has anyone noticed that they don't seem to be marked properly very often at the the top levels. Over the past few weeks I've watches about 7 matches on the TV, only 2 of which had the 15m line marked properly, most had it done as the 5m line is (dashed).

SimonSmith
14-03-05, 14:03
Technically a player can move beyond the 15m line (and his opposite number) to gather a ball - it is thrown to him (i.e. he can't do it if it's going to number 2 jumper!). The issue on pods is a different matter. Two of them won't be getting the ball, therby, only a third of them are 'onside'.

My understanding on the pod issue was that assuming that they are all bound, and that they are going for the ball, then the Pod, in its entirety, is OK and on-side. IRB ruling I think

Simon Griffiths
14-03-05, 19:03
If that's the case then fair enough. We need iRB rulings as some laws are a bit ambiguous.

This was brought up a couple of years ago when the Argentinian iRB referee (can't remember his name, very good mind) gave a penalty for a pod going over the 15m line.

OB..
14-03-05, 19:03
Pablo Deluca

Simon Griffiths
14-03-05, 20:03
Thanks OB. Thought it was Pablo de something or other!