PDA

View Full Version : Storm Desmond

Phil E
06-12-15, 20:12
Hope everyone up north in Cumbria and Scotland is OK after the storm.

For those not in the uk this is what they have been hit with.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-35014745

ctrainor
06-12-15, 20:12
Carlisle Rugby club pitches and Keswick rugby club pitches were completely submerged. Keswick's for the second time in 2 weeks.
the club houses didn't escape.
http://d2dzjyo4yc2sta.cloudfront.net/?url=images.pitchero.com%2Fui%2F333795%2F144931070 7_7698.jpg&w=732&h=732&t=square&q=20

https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xaf1/v/t1.0-9/12346476_10153821996950127_4769640692270672844_n.j pg?oh=51bb5f0dd9414a8bba64ce4a1b063386&oe=56F03A49
It does happen regularly but I guess doesn't make it any easier.

Don't think any games were played in Cumbria. Ironically my game the pitch was playable at Millom but poices advised against travel so it was sensibly called off.

Dickie E
06-12-15, 21:12
Our boys played in Kinross succesfully now heading to Bradford

ctrainor
06-12-15, 22:12
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-35020487 This just the tip of the iceberg thousands of homes and businesses affected

Lee Lifeson-Peart
Our boys played in Kinross succesfully now heading to Bradford

Any "port" in a storm.:biggrin:

Lee Lifeson-Peart
Terrible scenes. Hopefully all stay safe.

Taff
07-12-15, 00:12
Why the sudden urge to name storms? We're up to "D" already and they only started doing it a few weeks ago.

It's a storm. I don't want to make friends with it; I just want to shelter from it.

Complete waste of time. The people affected couldn't care less what it's called. Seriously, who the hell cares what it's called?

Dickie E
07-12-15, 01:12
Why the sudden urge to name storms? We're up to "D" already and they only started doing it a few weeks ago.

It's a storm. I don't want to make friends with it; I just want to shelter from it.

Complete waste of time. The people affected couldn't care less what it's called. Seriously, who the hell cares what it's called?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsround/34581210

This is interesting:

Strangely, research shows that hurricanes with female names are more likely to hurt more people than those with males names.
Scientists think that's because people find female names less threatening.

4eyesbetter
07-12-15, 02:12

Hurricane naming was formalised because there were many areas where more than one storm is forming at once, some of them are often quite similar and quite close to each other, and it helps people who are studying and tracking them to be able to refer to "Storm Alice" and "Storm Bob" instead of some feature of the storm itself that might be easily mistaken. Same reason as you make players wear numbers on their backs, so you can have a relatively foolproof way of telling the notorious Smith second-row twins apart.

didds
07-12-15, 08:12

Its the next step of the Americanisation of our society.

That's not a dig at the USA - the Seppoes haven't forced this on us. Presumably somebody at the Met Office thought that now Hallowe'en and trick or treating, and Black Friday have become standard, its time for the next US concept to be adopted.

As for technical naming - what is wrong with 2015#1, 2015#2 if it just a way to seperate storms...

didds

Phil E
07-12-15, 09:12
http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsround/34581210

This is interesting:

The full list of names chosen for future selection are: Abigail, Barney, Clodagh, Desmond, Eva, Frank, Gertrude, Henry, Imogen, Jake, Katie, Lawrence, Mary, Nigel, Orla, Phil, Rhonda, Steve, Tegan, Vernon and Wendy.

Finally, something gets named after me :biggrin:

crossref
07-12-15, 10:12
but what's wrong with naming? (shrug) seems pretty sensible to me, it's handy to name things.

probably a hundred years ago there were people saying 'I don't see why positions need to have names, all this hooker, lock, blind-side flanker, what's the point of it? it's not american football. If we want to distinguish the postions they all have numbers why not use them.

Dickie E
07-12-15, 10:12
Finally, something gets named after me :biggrin:

I was led to believe that the vulgar name for female genitalia was named after you ... or maybe it was the other way around :shrug: :)

oldman
07-12-15, 11:12
Tropical storms, hurricanes, cyclones have been given names for many years. Remember Katrina and New Orleans. In the start only female names were used, more recently male and female names have been used. The use of a name means the storm can be easily identified when discussing the results of the storm etc.

Phil E
07-12-15, 11:12
I was led to believe that the vulgar name for female genitalia was named after you ... or maybe it was the other way around :shrug: :)

I was just thinking the same about you and male genitalia :shrug: :smile:

Taff
07-12-15, 14:12
The use of a name means the storm can be easily identified when discussing the results of the storm etc.
Which to an extent I can understand if you're working for the Met Office etc, but your average Joe Bloggs couldn't care less.

As for technical naming - what is wrong with 2015#1, 2015#2 if it just a way to seperate storms...
Exactly. If you need it for records (and the vast vast majority won't) a real name isn't needed - just a reference number will do.

I was going to suggest 2015/Dec etc but at the moment it would be something like 2015/2nd Dec, 2015/4th Dec, 2015/5th Dec because it seems never ending.

Rushforth
Exactly. If you need it for records (and the vast vast majority won't) a real name isn't needed - just a reference number will do.

This applies to people too. Number Six, for example. Or Black Seven, coming in from the side again. Although you'd need Black Seven/n now.

crossref
watching the news today 2015/4 does look really bad.
It might even go down in history as England's 2005/11 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurricane_Katrina)

L'irlandais
07-12-15, 16:12
There is a name for each letter of the alphabet, excluding Q, U, X, Y and Z. That's the same naming convention used in America.
There are dozens of boys and girls names starting with these letters too.
Why exclude them? Dumbing down for the masses? :shrug:

Iron_Lung
Honestly I think it comes down to a weather channel thing. They need something to talk about so they name everything and that way they can do comparisons and historical analysis...

crossref
explanation

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/news/releases/archive/2015/name-our-storms

Taff
07-12-15, 17:12
... Dumbing down for the masses? :shrug:
I think you've hit it on the head mate.

The Met Office: "We have seen how naming storms elsewhere in the world raises awareness of severe weather before it strikes. We hope that naming storms in line with the official severe weather warnings here will do the same and ensure everyone can keep themselves, their property and businesses safe and protected at times of severe weather."
IMO that's bullshit. That is their reasoning behind it?

Seriously, how will naming a storm "ensure everyone can keep themselves, their property and businesses safe and protected at times of severe weather"? If the weather forecast tells you there is a massive storm on the way, you're going to do what you can regardless of whether it has a name or not.

Rushforth
07-12-15, 17:12
http://oceanservice.noaa.gov/facts/storm-names.html

Until the early 1950s, tropical storms and hurricanes were tracked by year and the order in which they occurred during that year. Over time, it was learned that the use of short, easily remembered names in written as well as spoken communications is quicker and reduces confusion when two or more tropical storms occur at the same time. In the past, confusion and false rumors resulted when storm advisories broadcast from radio stations were mistaken for warnings concerning an entirely different storm located hundreds of miles away.

That's how. Took me longer to copy paste than to google.

didds
07-12-15, 18:12
so what is wrong with "One", "Two", "Three" ?

didds

crossref
it's a funny world. It never occured to me that there were people strongly against giving names to storms!

it seems to me to have no downside.

If I said - do you remember that big hurricane in 2005, you probably don't know which one I mean. If i say the fifth one that year, but the largest, you still don't know. but if I say Hurricane Katrina you know exactly what I mean.

RobLev
This applies to people too. Number Six, for example. Or Black Seven, coming in from the side again. Although you'd need Black Seven/n now.

Number Six is not a number; he's a free man.

Rich_NL
08-12-15, 11:12
so what is wrong with "One", "Two", "Three" ?

didds

Cognitively people deal with names and objects differently (and more accessibly) than numbers.

ChrisR
08-12-15, 13:12
Wives number 1, 2 & 3 all have names. Referring to them by name is appropriate when speaking with persons who know them. Otherwise they are "One", "Two" and "Three".

crossref
08-12-15, 13:12
Wives number 1, 2 & 3 all have names. Referring to them by name is appropriate when speaking with persons who know them. Otherwise they are "One", "Two" and "Three".

which goes quite a long way to explaining why you have had three!

OB..
08-12-15, 20:12

Complete waste of time. The people affected couldn't care less what it's called. Seriously, who the hell cares what it's called?If some people don't care, but others find it useful, where is the problem?

it's a funny world. It never occured to me that there were people strongly against giving names to storms!

it seems to me to have no downside.

If I said - do you remember that big hurricane in 2005, you probably don't know which one I mean. If i say the fifth one that year, but the largest, you still don't know. but if I say Hurricane Katrina you know exactly what I mean.Agreed.