View Full Version : Oxford v Cambridge

Phil E
10-12-15, 15:12
Watching on my computer on BBC 2.

Not a bad match.

Greg Garner in the middle.

Phil E
10-12-15, 15:12
3 all at half time. But Oxford are butchering some chances and their lineouts are awful.

Good commentary from BM.

Referee (GG) getting plaudits at half time for keeping the game flowing.

OB..
10-12-15, 16:12
I watched the start of the women's game earlier. The forwards were well drilled and Cambridge had a dominant pack, but the backs were poor. Good tackling mostly, but passes were looped and nobody knew how to spin pass; running lines were poor and supporting runs badly judged; too many players just ran into the opposition.

I saw better skills at my grandson's U11s game last Sunday. To be fair, the commentator did say that several of them had only started playing this term, but nobody seemed to have much clue outside the set pieces.

TheBFG
10-12-15, 17:12
3 all at half time. But Oxford are butchering some chances and their lineouts are awful.

Good commentary from BM.

Referee (GG) getting plaudits at half time for keeping the game flowing.

:chin: is there a difference between keeping a game flowing and missing stuff :chin:

Iron_Lung
10-12-15, 17:12
Yeah, the difference is whether my side is winning or not...

ctrainor
10-12-15, 19:12
Only saw the last 20 minutes. Right at the end, ball goes into touch clearly 10 seconds from the end. I thought the line out should have taken place

crossref
I watched first ten minute of second half, and saw Oxford carry it back into 22, pass and kick for gain in grounds

Rushforth
Only saw the last 20 minutes. Right at the end, ball goes into touch clearly 10 seconds from the end. I thought the line out should have taken place

I'm not a stickler for time - didn't even do GR at Cambs - but if you are going to stop and start a clock "like professionals" then I agree.

On the other hand, if you've failed to score a try for 79:53 and need a converted one too, is it material?

Shelflife
11-12-15, 10:12
What are peoples thoughts on a professional rugby player playing in a game with amateurs ? What level do the rest of the players usually play at ?

Personally im not gone on the idea as this day and age there is a huge difference between a full time professional and an amateur. The potential for harm is very high IMO.

It would be similar to allowing a good u18 player to play against an u15 team.

Lee Lifeson-Peart
11-12-15, 12:12
What are peoples thoughts on a professional rugby player playing in a game with amateurs ? What level do the rest of the players usually play at ?

Personally im not gone on the idea as this day and age there is a huge difference between a full time professional and an amateur. The potential for harm is very high IMO.

Good point.

I recall Joe Roff playing in the fixture a few years ago after he retired from International Rugby(?) and David Kirk similarly before that. I think Troy Coker played too. I can't think of any other retired/current internationals who have played although I can think of a few undergraduates who later became internationals - Barnes, Andrew etc. I checked Wikipedia since writing this and there are loads of Internationals who played in the Varsity game - Ackford, Hastings (G), Ubogu etc etc

Anyway players are hugerer now and Roberts is recognised as a force of nature in International Rugby never mind the student variety and could potentially have been up against a kid who is still playing in the colts - although it is unlikely I grant you.

Camquin
11-12-15, 13:12
I would say they were a good National 1 side.
They lost to the two Premiership A sides, just lost to Bedford and beat Cambridge.
The Cambridge XV was somewhere between the first and second XV.
Steele Bodgers was mainly Shanahans friends so had several ex-Plymouth players plus Cambridge and Old Albanians players - and the Blues won narrowly.

Taff
11-12-15, 14:12
What are peoples thoughts on a professional rugby player playing in a game with amateurs ? .... Personally im not gone on the idea as this day and age there is a huge difference between a full time professional and an amateur. The potential for harm is very high IMO.
Good point, but the ironic thing is that it was the professional who went off injured.

TheBFG
11-12-15, 14:12

There was a pro playing, must have missed that 40 mins :wink:

Dave Sherwin
11-12-15, 18:12
I was fortunate enough to play for Oxford back in the day. There have been a number of recently retired professionals in (relatively) recent years including Brett Robinson, Anton Oliver, Dave Lubans, Dan Vickermann, John Carter, Joe Roff. In my time, Nick Wood (subsequently of Glaws and England Saxons) was kept out of the team by Kevin Tkachuk and Ben Durham (who also went on to play for Glaws) was kept out by Brett Robinson.