PDA

View Full Version : 8.3 (d) WHEN THE ADVANTAGE LAW IS NOT APPLIED

ChrisR
25-12-15, 14:12
Trial format for discussion:

8.3 (d) WHEN THE ADVANTAGE LAW IS NOT APPLIED

Delete: (d) Collapsed scrum. Advantage must not be applied when a scrum collapses. The referee must blow the whistle immediately.

Amend: Player lifted in the air. Advantage must not be applied when a player in a scrum is lifted in the air or forced upwards and has no support on the ground out of the scrum. The referee must blow the whistle immediately.

Justification: This is to formalise a refereeing practice that is more and more applied. Also, in such circumstances, advantage may be applied if there is no risk for the players’ safety.

ChrisR
25-12-15, 14:12
What I think works is to post the change/trial without comment then each responder can add their thoughts regards the law rather than the original posters comments.

My thoughts on the change: Yes. Stops dropping the front row just to kill the ops ball. Lets the referee determine risk with the exception of a lifted front row. Bravo!

crossref
25-12-15, 19:12
In order to comment, you need to compare with the Law as it currently is... Which is

(e) Player lifted in the air. Advantage must not be applied when a player in a scrum is lifted in the air or forced upwards out of the scrum. The referee must blow the whistle immediately.

ChrisR
25-12-15, 21:12
Hmmm. Good point. The OP could have been split into two but I thought the major point was the removal of (d) and that (e) was just modified to include " and has no support on the ground ".

Now I think about it both are a significant change for the better.

Rushforth
06-01-16, 17:01
My thoughts on the change: Yes. Stops dropping the front row just to kill the ops ball. Lets the referee determine risk with the exception of a lifted front row. Bravo!

During the RWC I had some higher level games than usual. All front row players were very happy that I would be whistling immediately if scrums collapsed. Mind you, collapses even at that level tend to be due to the muddy ground here, so often a surprise to players.

On reflection, and with your explanation, I don't think this law change will have much increase in danger at any level. As you say, the referee can determine risk, and at grassroots or even any non-professional level, front row players will not mind if referees are fast on the whistle.