PDA

View Full Version : Was the referee right to make this comment?

Phil E
18-02-16, 14:02
Was the referee right to use a sarcastic tone?
We have all wanted to do it I am sure, but did he lose the moral high ground by doing so?

http://www.rugbydump.com/2015/11/4735/george-ford-burnt-for-questioning-ref

FlipFlop
18-02-16, 16:02
Okay comment, wrong tone. Needed to be said in a light hearted tone, not a "i'm annoyed" tone.

4eyesbetter
On such a blatant forward pass? Geddaway. I probably wouldn't use those words, but when players try to tell me that black is white then my tone is going to make it clear that I'm not having it, and if they don't drop it immediately I'm going to the whistle.

Nigib
Empathy is always helpful, do depending on the state of the match, and how the player queries, for me it could be anything from a simple repeat of signal and "sorry, definitely forward" to dissent, 10.4s and a PK. Doesn't look good on the video as (a) we can't hear what's being said clearly and (b) people watching will pick up the 'polite' soccer behaviour.

And the daft question occurs to me - can we move a scrum forward 10 or does it have to be a PK/FK?

OB..
18-02-16, 17:02
Of more interest to me is to ask why Ford decided to challenge the decision. Do players think they can persuade the referee to get a TMO review?

crossref
18-02-16, 18:02
IMO it's not a good idea to use sarcasm. Keep all communication direct and straightforward.

Paule23
18-02-16, 20:02
No problem for me. He's made his point well in my opinion. It makes it clear you can appeal all you like, do you really think I'm now going to reverse my decision?

ctrainor
18-02-16, 21:02
Well said, I'll use that

JSAK
18-02-16, 22:02
Of more interest to me is to ask why Ford decided to challenge the decision. Do players think they can persuade the referee to get a TMO review?

George and his fellow Bath backs are having a rough season. His flailing arm and petulant pout suggest his frustration got the better of his reason. Back to the main point: as much as I enjoy sarcasm (I am a natural and accomplished smart-ass), I have to be very careful in its application on the pitch, particularly with younger players, self-important college kids, and players whose mother tongue is not English (at least the version we speak over here). There are over 100 languages spoken within our local school district so slow, clear, and concise communication is critical.

Dickie E
18-02-16, 23:02
IMO it's not a good idea to use sarcasm. Keep all communication direct and straightforward.

Agree. There is no upside to the ref speaking in that manner.

Ian_Cook
19-02-16, 00:02
No problem for me. He's made his point well in my opinion. It makes it clear you can appeal all you like, do you really think I'm now going to reverse my decision?

Perhaps, although I do see the viewpoint that the referee risks bringing himself down to that level by responding in that way.

It would have been just as easy for him to say "you know you aren't going to change my decision?".

It conveys the exact same message in a more respectful way.

Dickie E
I'd prefer "I hear what you're saying but I saw it differently".

Nobody likes to be spoken down to. What is to be gained by doing so?

The referee's tone suggests to me that there was some history to this.

ChrisR
^^^^^^^
wot he said

SimonSmith
19-02-16, 01:02
I think the "I saw it differently" phrase doesn't shut down future appeals.

I think the delivery was dialed all the way to 11, though. Insert a smile, and it's a different reaction. I've used a similar phrase, but only with captains I know well, and when I have a problem I need to nip in the bud.
"How long have I been reffing you? Have you ever known me change a call after an appeal? Right. Let's make both our lives easier and not have it"

4eyesbetter
19-02-16, 18:02
I'd prefer "I hear what you're saying but I saw it differently".

That's how I'd deal with a tight one, one of those 50/50s where it bounces off six hands, three legs and an arse in twelve different directions, one where I can genuinely see how someone else might think differently. There's quite a lot of them.

But from a player who's thrown a forward pass in clear field, with me in perfect position, who could only have thrown a more obvious forward pass if he'd done it like Tom Brady? Give over. If you stick to a reasonable tone and choice of words, you imply that the player is acting reasonably, which here he clearly isn't. That'll only encourage players to try to bullshit you.

Dickie E
19-02-16, 21:02
But from a player who's thrown a forward pass in clear field, with me in perfect position, who could only have thrown a more obvious forward pass if he'd done it like Tom Brady?

I see your point but I didn't consider the pass as C&O forward as you did. The player, as he claims, certainly appears to have his hands facing backwards.

pwhaling
19-02-16, 22:02
His delivery was off a little, but you when using sarcasm you have to be ready for the replies. It reminds me of Craig Joubert a couple of years ago (I think it was to Michael Hopper). He said something along the lines of "Michael do you want to captain your side" and Hooper replied "Do you want to referee the breakdown".

KML1
20-02-16, 16:02
Surprised by this discussion. He was being harangued and made his point. Move on.

In the RD commentary alongside they suggest that we wouldnt event be having a second thought if that had been St Nigel who'd said it.

Do you want Robot Referees or not?

L'irlandais
20-02-16, 19:02
?..

Do you want Robot Referees?now there's a thought.
While it would presumably do away with human error, it might require a complete rewrite of the LOTG to eliminate any illogical glitches that might cause AI problems of interpretation.

crossref
20-02-16, 19:02
I, for one, would welcome our new robot referee overlords