PDA

View Full Version : Strange-Looking Offsides in Open Play

RussRef
01-03-16, 23:03
How would you call this?

Blue 15 kicks ahead, with most of his team ahead of him. Ball's trajectory is low and flat. Red 4, positioned 15 m in front of Blue 15, sticks a hand out and touches the ball without changing its flight much. (I think, "Ball not charged but ball played.") Ball continues downfield and lands 15m in front of Blue 7, who is farther downfield than any of his teammates but not advancing (yet). Blue 7 then continues forward and gathers the ball.

It looks like a classic offsides on Blue 7, PK to Red -- especially to those who couldn't tell that Red had touched the passing ball upfield.

BUT: The 10-meter rule is not in effect, given Blue 7's position relative to the ball when it lands. So Blue 7 can be put onside by an action of an opposing player. And one such action is touching/playing the ball. So, for reasons Blue 7 almost certainly doesn't appreciate, is it play on?

Dickie E
02-03-16, 01:03
sounds like play on to me.

menace
02-03-16, 02:03
Sounds ok to me...onside is how I would have called it (unless I thought blue 7 was 'loitering' from a previous phase?)

But I'm sure someone might raise a possible issue if there was some hint at the 10 metre rule being possibility
(f)
The 10-metre Law does not apply when a player kicks the ball, and an opponent charges down the kick, and a team-mate of the kicker who was in front of the imaginary 10-metre line across the field then plays the ball. The opponent was not 'waiting to play the ball' and the team-mate is onside. The 10-metre Law applies if the ball touches or is played by an opponent but is not charged down.

(The highlight and when to apply it now confuses me after someone (Dixie perhaps?) raised it on this site with good argument that seems to fit well with the OP scenario....it just lead to a big debate about defining charged down etc. I've never seen it applied ever anywhere so I just continue to ignore that sentence...like everyone else seems to :shrug: )

(Sits back with popcorn and waits)

crossref
02-03-16, 08:03
The bold text must be there to cover exactly this scenario. So those blue players caught by the 10m law must retire, while all other blue players are onside and can advance.
Tricky situation to manage, especially as some players (from both teams) have likely realised red touched the ball, while other players have not.

OB..
02-03-16, 12:03
The bold text must be there to cover exactly this scenario. So those blue players caught by the 10m law must retire, while all other blue players are onside and can advance.
Tricky situation to manage, especially as some players (from both teams) have likely realised red touched the ball, while other players have not.Referee should call "touched in flight".

crossref
02-03-16, 12:03
Referee should call "touched in flight".

indeed yes, but if it's open play players can be very spread out around the field - especially if there has been two or more kicks in a row) and not all will hear the ref.

But yes, a good loud call.