PDA

View Full Version : [Tackle] Tackler does not release player, player does not release ball.

davidlandy
02-11-16, 12:11
Ball carrier goes to ground, tackled. Tackler does not release player, player does not release ball. Who gets pinged?

Rich_NL
02-11-16, 12:11
I'd ping the tackler, although they are in law required to do both 'immediately'.

The tackler not releasing the player restricts the player's ability to place the ball. The player not releasing the ball doesn't prevent the tackler from releasing.

If you were to ping the player first, the tackler would have every incentive to keep the player pinned until he sees the ball being (sub-optimally) placed. If the tackler releases, the player still has to release the ball or face getting pinged.

SimonSmith
02-11-16, 13:11
Depends on what else is happening around them and how they're arranged.

For my money, if the tackler is around the ankles, N/S, and not affecting the ball carrier exercising his options, AND there is a jackler there wanting the ball, I'm probably looking at the BC first.

Tackler obstructing the ball, E/W and not moving, blocking the competition - it's him.

Short version: there isn't a one size fits all answer

Ian_Cook
02-11-16, 19:11
Just to expand on what Simon has said

Sometimes, you will see a situation where the tackler, say Gold 12, is on the ground on his opponent's side of the tackle in the place where the tackled player, Blue 13, would be expected to place the ball. Gold 7 has arrived through the gate and has latched onto the ball. You now have a situation where the tackler has released, a team mate on his feet has hands on the ball and the tackled player hasn't released. In this case, I would ping Gold 12.

15.4 THE TACKLER
(b) The tackler must immediately get up or move away from the tackled player and from the ball at once.
Sanction: Penalty kick

15.7 FORBIDDEN PRACTICES
(b) No player may prevent the tackled player from releasing the ball and getting up or moving away from it.

Richard smith
02-11-16, 19:11
Ball carrier goes to ground, tackled. Tackler does not release player, player does not release ball. Who gets pinged?
Which offence did u notice 1st????

Pegleg
02-11-16, 20:11
The most material one.

ChrisR
02-11-16, 20:11
15.7 Forbidden practices
(a) No player may prevent the tackled player from passing the ball.
(b) No player may prevent the tackled player from releasing the ball and getting up or moving
away from it.

These two dictate the sequence but only if the tackler has prevented the BC from playing the ball.

Paule23
04-11-16, 10:11
The way I've always been taught in this area is tackler, tackled played, arriving players. Look for the tackler to release, then the tackled player to release the ball, then deal with arriving players. I know arriving players arrive whilst the first 2 are going on, but the golden rule is the tackler has to release first.

I agree with what was said above though, if the tackler is holding on around the legs and not preventing fair release of the ball by t ehtackled player, I'm unlikely to penalise him first.

davidlandy
04-11-16, 14:11
Thanks to all for the answers :)

Could someone explain to me what the referee level means - is level 1 the entry point? I see we have some level 7's and 9's here - is that quite a senior level?

OB..
04-11-16, 14:11
Thanks to all for the answers :)

Could someone explain to me what the referee level means - is level 1 the entry point? I see we have some level 7's and 9's here - is that quite a senior level?The other way round. In England the level indicates the league level the referee is currently qualified to officiate at - Level 1 is the Premiership. "Panel" means the top levels (without specifying which).

TigerCraig
04-11-16, 22:11
The other way round. In England the level indicates the league level the referee is currently qualified to officiate at - Level 1 is the Premiership. "Panel" means the top levels (without specifying which).

Whereas in Australia we start with RKR (refereeing kids rugby) which is the entry level course that allows you to referee up to under 12, then Level 1 which 90% of refs are, then Level 2 which requires a field test on a senior game, but is not a requirement to referee adult rugby, and then Level 3 which is basically elite. Plenty of people do the Level 2 course but never bother getting the full qualification. You need to be invited to do the Level 3.