PDA

View Full Version : [In-goal] Unusual TMO

crossref
11-02-17, 09:02
Unusual Tmo referral in Bristol v Quins last night
- Bristol PK 5m from Quins line
- they tap quickly, pass, and Quins player intercept it, runs 80m, is tackled, pops ball backwards, second Quins player fly hacks forward and scores

The ref called the Tmo to check whether the original Quins player was behind the tryline when the quick PK was taken ,

So a TMO examinig an incident a full 100m back from the try!

Camquin
11-02-17, 09:02
I have not had a chance to see it yet.
Sounds like it was only a few seconds between the incident and the try - and only one phase of play.
It would have been grossly unfair on Quins to stop play to check and equally unfair to Bristol if the try stood when Quins were offside.
Which is what the MO is for.

Not sure if it would be the case in this incident but you could imagine a case where the TMO has the option of awarding a try to Red or a Penalty try to Blue.

crossref
11-02-17, 11:02
This one could have been that, certainly if it hadn't been a try to Quins, it certainly have been a YC to Quins and quite possibly a PT to Bristol

Ian_Cook
11-02-17, 12:02
I saw a similar incident some years ago in an RL match. A player, in the act of attempting to score, appeared to "bounce" the ball as he attempted to ground it. The ball popped up into the hands of a defender, who ran the length of field (followed by the sprinting referee) to "score" at the other end. The referee called the Video Ref to ask about the first grounding, which was legit, so the referee had to run back to the original end to award the try.

Whew, just writing about it makes me feel knackered!!!

crossref
11-02-17, 12:02
This one could have been that, certainly if it hadn't been a try to Quins, it certainly have been a YC to Quins and quite possibly a PT to Bristol