PDA

View Full Version : Referees eyeware

ChuckieB
07-04-17, 11:04
I need to find out about what I can and cannot wear as regards correcting my vision.

I am unable to wear contacts, so what is the guidance for refs on this?

I am thinking I have never seen a ref wearing either specs or anything else? But then I have never really been looking.

oldman
07-04-17, 12:04
A friend of mine is in a similar position. After much thought he obtained a pair of glasses designed for squash with prescription lenses included. The glasses are designed to take an impact and break with no sharp edges, hence no risk to himself and other players. He referees most weeks and does not seem to have a problem. In fact he often makes a joke, saying at least he is honest with the players, admitting he has an eye-sight problem.

Dixie
07-04-17, 13:04
Hi ChuckieB. It is a good question - you are right that you rarely see a ref wearing glasses. But this is not (so far as I know) due to any prohibition on spectacles, but rather tends to be a reluctance to give the players any impression that you may be any less than a perfect physical specimen, refereeing their game out of good grace while between junior international obligations.

Some unions have given their blessing to the squash-type specs, at least for junior rugby, though this is probably not strictly relevant here. A referee is automatically exempted from the sort of Health & Safety considerations that would have a player ejected from the field on safety grounds - the pencil, whistle and card wallet are obvious examples of items that no player could legitimately carry on the field of play. In light of that I see no issue with sporting standard-issue specs on the field, but if you go down that route make sure you have some arrangement for securing them above and beyond the normal ear pieces - you don't want then to fall onto the field just as a herd of forwards piles into the ruck.

Phil E
07-04-17, 13:04
The problem with glasses is when it rains.

leaguerefaus
07-04-17, 14:04
Why not just paint them on? I've heard that's quite a common thing for referees to do.

ChuckieB
07-04-17, 18:04
Hi ChuckieB. It is a good question - you are right that you rarely see a ref wearing glasses. But this is not (so far as I know) due to any prohibition on spectacles, but rather tends to be a reluctance to give the players any impression that you may be any less than a perfect physical specimen, refereeing their game out of good grace while between junior international obligations.

Some unions have given their blessing to the squash-type specs, at least for junior rugby, though this is probably not strictly relevant here. A referee is automatically exempted from the sort of Health & Safety considerations that would have a player ejected from the field on safety grounds - the pencil, whistle and card wallet are obvious examples of items that no player could legitimately carry on the field of play. In light of that I see no issue with sporting standard-issue specs on the field, but if you go down that route make sure you have some arrangement for securing them above and beyond the normal ear pieces - you don't want then to fall onto the field just as a herd of forwards piles into the ruck.

i have my adidas evil eyes with clip in corrected lenses which I use for mountain biking . I just don't see them working as well on a pitch. I always played squash with normalish specs, knowing the risk but with no problems.

Obviously rain will be an issue as highlighted. I hadn't really thought on that one!