PDA

View Full Version : Flip Off!

leaguerefaus
02-10-17, 04:10
When you get tagged in a post on Facebook, you don't expect to see yourself refereeing...
https://www.facebook.com/EverythingRugbyLeague/videos/1632751610123373/

I didn't go for a YC but would anyone else have?
Conversely, would anyone have gave the try?

Dickie E
02-10-17, 04:10
I like Royce Loamanu's response :)

CrouchTPEngage
02-10-17, 09:10
I could see a ref going for a yellow for that. Depends on history/context in the game. Did it spark any reaction ? Incite anything?

I wonder if you could allow the try then restart with a penalty on half-way ? ( Although that seems odd )
To be honest, first time and juniors ? Then I would probably not YC but I Would give a very strong talking to the entire team that the next player to do anything contrary to good sportsmanship will be a YC.

damo
02-10-17, 09:10
Speaking from a union perspective, I think you handled it correctly. Disallowing the try is correct, but it's also punishment enough imo.

leaguerefaus
02-10-17, 12:10
Speaking from a union perspective, I think you handled it correctly. Disallowing the try is correct, but it's also punishment enough imo.

This was my view too Damo. Someone tried to tell me after the game to YC also, but I'm pretty firm in the belief that the denial of what was a certain try is sufficient.

leaguerefaus
02-10-17, 13:10
I could see a ref going for a yellow for that. Depends on history/context in the game. Did it spark any reaction ? Incite anything?

I wonder if you could allow the try then restart with a penalty on half-way ? ( Although that seems odd )
To be honest, first time and juniors ? Then I would probably not YC but I Would give a very strong talking to the entire team that the next player to do anything contrary to good sportsmanship will be a YC.

You couldn't award the try and then issue a sanction, as the conduct has happened prior to the try being awarded. If you're sanctioning the player, it's a penalty minimum.

Different story if he scores it and then starts being a toss.

crossref
I think the decision is good
Also it's a great example of (in union) a genuine 10.4(m) incident

Rich_NL
I guess it depends on the grade and the atmosphere and many things, but I think a penalty at the place of infringement and a warning would be enough in one of my games, with the disallowed try. If he scored and then flipped the bird out of 'exuberance', then it stands and restart with a penalty.

Phil E
02-10-17, 14:10
Everyone I have asked in a "you're the ref" kind of way said the the same thing.
"disallow the try, PK and YC".
But I agree with your thought that losing the try was punishment enough.

ianh5979
02-10-17, 15:10
Had one of these a few years ago (in Union), only disallowed the try and penalty, with a warning about taunting the opposition( no effect on the result as the side I penalised were winning by 40 odd points at the time)

VM75
02-10-17, 19:10
I didn't go for a YC but would anyone else have?
Conversely, would anyone have gave the try?

No & No.

I hope the lesson is remembered, an additional benefit is that social media is also re-inforcing the 'unsportsmanlike' message you've sent.

I applaud you :clap:, I've actually done similar [ball carrier running across almost the full width of the in-goal area waving two fingers at opponents who trailed him]

VM75
02-10-17, 19:10
Had one of these a few years ago (in Union), only disallowed the try and penalty, with a warning about taunting the opposition( no effect on the result as the side I penalised were winning by 40 odd points at the time)

Match score is irrelevant, IMO.

rubytum
06-03-19, 23:03
Match score is irrelevant, IMO.

Totally agree.

Zebra1922
07-03-19, 02:03
I'd go YC for this, totally unacceptable conduct against both the laws and the spirit of the game.

didds
07-03-19, 09:03
Idgo with the YC too.

If the scorer had just before scoring twatted a defender before touching down you'd card him so wadr the thing about "loss of try is punishment enough" doesn't cut it for me. And it suggests that of he did it on half way he'd get a YC - which would then be inconsistent within itself.

didds

Pablo
07-03-19, 18:03
The video seems to have gone. :sad: