PDA

View Full Version : Confession Time

Simon Thomas
29-01-07, 12:01
Nice relaxed and open 2nd XV match yesterday, but had got to bed at 3 am after very boozy rugby dinner, so not on top form.

Brain not fully engaged, and from post try re-start, long kick falling in 22m area, full back catches and calls mark. Horror of horrors - I award it and immediately realise my error. And propose re-start kick is taken again, or we carry on with FK at place of mark.
All players wonder what I am on about, and say let him take the mark FK and off we go from there.
Only when I show them law book in clubhouse bar (a rare thing to do I know) do they realise I was wrong, at which point I am put up on a chair and it's a pint down in one (hic !) to top up the previous evenings intake.

Deeps
29-01-07, 13:01
Sharp midweek Level 9 U18s game. County winger scores a cracking try in the corner and then tee's up the ball for the conversion. After he makes to kick, the ball falls over. The kicker stops his run midway and looks at me with a 'May I?' expression on his face. The defenders, who are now 5 metres out from the goal line, stop then turn back. Fighting apoplexy and lost for words at this impasse I blow the whistle, judging the ball to have gone dead as no one wished to play it, and disallow the kick mumbling 'No, you started your run, too late to reset'.

On analysis some moments later and with the gift of hindsight I realised I should have used one of my favourite phrases 'Play the ball' but what then if nobody had moved?

Robert Burns
29-01-07, 19:01
Then he still kicks it I would say? he can't replace the ball on the tee. USe it or lose it type thing....isn't it?

OB..
29-01-07, 20:01
Once the kicker has started to kick, the opposition are entitled to charge. He is still allowed to attempt the conversion, either by kicking it where it lies, or trying a drop kick. If the opposition are silly enough to retire, he can put the ball back on the tee.

All the referee can do is say "Play on". If nobody does, then I agree you cancel the kick - don't forget there is a one minute time limit.

craign
29-01-07, 20:01
Then he still kicks it I would say? he can't replace the ball on the tee. USe it or lose it type thing....isn't it?

[pedant mode]
Can't he? Surely the opposition haven't charged it down and he hasn't had his kick so:

1. he replaces the ball & kicks again or
2. he drop-kicks

Then stretching it a little further, the opponents can stand directly in front of the ball until he does kick it or

3. he gives up or 60s time runs out
[/pedant mode]

:p

Jacko
30-01-07, 04:01
Had a classic on Sunday.

Decent standard Durham colleges game. Gave a penalty try for one of the least subtle pieces of cheating I've seen recently. #10 lines up the kick at goal right in front of the sticks. As he shapes to kick, opposition charge. He stops and turns to me:-
"They're charging a penalty try sir"
*Defender merrily hoofs the ball off the tee*
Me:-
"Yes. You should have kicked it over really."
Him:-
"Whinge"
Me:-
"Laugh"

Ahhhh - I do love mocking students who don't bother to learn the laws!

didds
30-01-07, 09:01
[blanking blanking]

ex-lucy
30-01-07, 10:01
i caught myself saying "Crouch'nhold" on Sunday ... only the once ... but managed to correct it in time to say correct sequence before they went down ... i could have kicked myself .. only my 8th match with new laws!!

also, i think I forgot to note the correct time for a sin bin .. noted name, number, offence, and time on the watch ... but which time? the running time or stopping/playing time? i thought i always noted the stopping/playing time but it just didnt seem right ...seemed too soon....

Deeps
30-01-07, 11:01
i caught myself saying "Crouch'nhold" on Sunday ... only the once ... but managed to correct it in time to say correct sequence before they went down ... i could have kicked myself .. only my 8th match with new laws!!

also, i think I forgot to note the correct time for a sin bin .. noted name, number, offence, and time on the watch ... but which time? the running time or stopping/playing time? i thought i always noted the stopping/playing time but it just didnt seem right ...seemed too soon....

My 'aide memoire' for the new engagement sequence is the initials ctp (e) as, in a former life, ctp stood for 'Cocktail Party'. So, just prior to each scrum, if necessary, I think 'Cocktail Party' (if that's not too obscure for anyone North of the Watford Bypass?).

If you use a countdown timer on your playing time watch and it says '31' when you sin bin a player then write '21' down on the back of the score card as the time to let him back on again.

Dixie
30-01-07, 11:01
i caught myself saying "Crouch'nhold" on Sunday ... only the once ...

Me too. Apologised and promised to buy a jug if I did it again.

PaulDG
30-01-07, 13:01
[QUOTE=Deeps;19730If you use a countdown timer on your playing time watch and it says '31' when you sin bin a player then write '21' down on the back of the score card as the time to let him back on again.[/QUOTE]

Good idea.

Another thing that's really obvious when you think about it but many refs don't seem to know about is to add up the score as you go along.

So record "5" for a try, "7" for the successful conversion, "10" for the PK awarded a little later and so on. That way when a player asks the score near the end you have the numbers right there and don't have to either fob him off or stop and think.

Davet
30-01-07, 14:01
I did, at one scrum on Saturday, utter the immortal line "Crouch and hold". "Touch". "Pause". "Engage".

Nobody noticed.

Bungle
31-01-07, 17:01
from post try re-start, long kick falling in 22m area, full back catches and calls mark. Horror of horrors - I award it and immediately realise my error.

I have to chuckle at this as I had something very similar on Saturday. PK, shot at goal chosen, good 35 m out, kick falls short, back calls 'Mark'. Cue 3 attacking players bearing down on him. 'Now can we have a mark from a placed PK' I think in about 0.05 secs.... fortune favours the brave and I blow. Hope for ignorance from the players....

"Are you sure sir" (in a cheeky tone of voice that just couldn't make me penalise for dissent)

To which I respond, rather like some infallible Pope

" But of course. I am the sole judge of fact and law during the game"

Luckily, quick check of law book confirms I was right and I walk away with better knowledge and no pint penalties. Phew!