PDA

View Full Version : England vs. Italy Maul/Tackle

Gareth-Lee Smith
10-02-07, 15:02
Hopefully most of you watched this match and you'll be able to remember from my vague description.

England in possession with a driving maul. Somehow an Italian player manages to navigate around the side of the maul and tackle Harry Ellis who has hands on the ball. Ellis goes to his knees then gets up and continues. Whistle blows - penalty to Italy for England not releasing in the tackle.

Now, my opinion is that a penalty MUST HAVE been coming for either a) offside when joining the maul or b) collapsing the maul.

So, was it right?

peperami
10-02-07, 17:02
Hopefully most of you watched this match and you'll be able to remember from my vague description.

England in possession with a driving maul. Somehow an Italian player manages to navigate around the side of the maul and tackle Harry Ellis who has hands on the ball. Ellis goes to his knees then gets up and continues. Whistle blows - penalty to Italy for England not releasing in the tackle.

Now, my opinion is that a penalty MUST HAVE been coming for either a) offside when joining the maul or b) collapsing the maul.

So, was it right?

Yes the referee was spot on, this is a completely legal tactic. There was no maul, if you watch the tape you will see no Italian players had bound on therefore its not a maul.

Question whether Ellis was held but if he was then penalty Italy is quite right.

This was mentioned by society as a possible technique early in the season, and we were told its legal.

I have had a coach who I work with ask my opinion of exactly this and I have told him that its legal and that its fine.

Ben

OB..
10-02-07, 18:02
It came from a line-out. The players had moved sufficiently far for the line-out to be over.

Since the ball was at the back, the England players in front were obstructing.

ex-lucy
10-02-07, 20:02
GLS
i think you have to be more specific. I think you are talking about when 6 came round a maul close to blue try line. Looked offside to me, indeed i thought the ref asked 6 to go round.
dunno.
But not when a 'maul' drove forward with no blues involved and 2 came round and tackled last white player. that decision was good and i troed to explain to my clubmates about this. God, the ignorance!!
Rugby players can be so ignorant !

didds
10-02-07, 21:02
OB - agreed that I thought the england pack were all "obstructing" in the lineout drive mentioned... but interestingly the ref didn;t indicate that was the case and neither did he warn England that this was the case (I didn;lt hear him say so anyway). To be fair, he may have been waiting for the drive to clear the l/o offside line to do so but the italian tackler had beaten him to the draw :-)

The penalty for not releasing wa spot on and the reason the penalty was awarded.

The use of this tactic was an object lesson in how to work it IMO.

didds

Gareth-Lee Smith
10-02-07, 23:02
My bad, sorry guys.

I'd love to have been more specific about the situation, but my eyewitness memory is absolutely awful unless I dedicate my mind to remembering details.

It was the only thing I could think of (the non-binding therefore not creating a maul) that made that legal, and it seems it occured.

Luckily the level I referee have never tried anything like this (too young) so I've never got it wrong ;) But I think I'd be able to call it if I came across it.

Deeps
11-02-07, 00:02
Was there a game this afternoon? Did I miss anything? The home team was watching some rubbish on TV when I arrived but we all went out and had a great afternoon in the rain - several cracking tries, a few handbags, usual stuff. Later, I heard that Beckham had scored, was that it? :D