PDA

View Full Version : Ref Hand Signals at Lineouts

Cornfield
18-02-07, 14:02
Can someone please help me? I was asked a question but for the life of me I donít know the answer. :confused:

During many televised matches at a lineout after the ball has been thrown in the Referee will hold up his arm. Now I originally thought it was due to the ball not going in straight, but the ball will be passed back and then go out along the line, at which point the referee will put his arm down.

Why do they do this and what is it indicating?

Please someone explain this to me, I will try to find an incident of this during the next 6N match if no one knows what I am on about.

Cheers.

peperami
Can someone please help me? I was asked a question but for the life of me I donít know the answer. :confused:

During many televised matches at a lineout after the ball has been thrown in the Referee will hold up his arm. Now I originally thought it was due to the ball not going in straight, but the ball will be passed back and then go out along the line, at which point the referee will put his arm down.

Why do they do this and what is it indicating?

Please someone explain this to me, I will try to find an incident of this during the next 6N match if no one knows what I am on about.

Cheers.

Its a simple thing if you know what we're up to.

The hand up signifies the lineout is not yet over and the backs have to stay back 10 until its over. At which point the referee will drop his hand.

Hope that helps

Ben

Cornfield
Thank you. :)

You see I was a forward (Prop) and when playing didnt see the Ref much in the lineout apart from when I did something wrong. :D This actually makes sense.

Thanks again.

Deeps
18-02-07, 22:02
It's an unofficial signal that you won't find in the law book. It's all about making space for the backs by retaining the 10 metre offside line until the lineout is over. Unfortunately it is the referee making a tactical decision for players which would otherwise be deemed offside if they got it wrong. On balance, it has tidied the game up and allowed backs more freedom to perform which, after all, is what the spectators want to see.

Robert Burns
19-02-07, 07:02
moved to the my referee did this forum.