PDA

View Full Version : Sin Bin the wrong player

PaulDG
18-03-07, 10:03
I've been amazed that that incident hasn't attracted more news comment.

I assume something would be being said behind the scenes?

Dixie
18-03-07, 23:03
I've been amazed that that incident hasn't attracted more news comment.So little that I've missed it completely. Which part of the world did it happen in? Was it televised? Was anyone well-known involved?

Bryan
19-03-07, 01:03
Scotland winger Sean Lamont was sent to the bin, when it should have been Scottish No.22 (can't remember name, maybe Lawson).

Call came in from the TJ, D Courtney. The bin was justified, they just got the wrong player.

PaulDG
19-03-07, 08:03
So little that I've missed it completely. Which part of the world did it happen in? Was it televised? Was anyone well-known involved?

It happened in Paris on Saturday - in the deciding game of this year's 6 nations....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/scottish/6455035.stm

mbkingsmill
19-03-07, 10:03
They even got the right surname just got the worng player. Should have been Sean's brother Rory who went to the bin.

ex-lucy
19-03-07, 14:03
i have been the victim of mistaken identity and been sin binned ... the punch came from behind me (from the ref's POV) .... cant blame the ref... i prob deserved it on balance of probabilities from previous incidents.
London Soc refs !! You've gotta luv 'em..

didds
19-03-07, 15:03
i just dont understand why the binned player didn;t query it, or the reakl culprit didn;t own up.

Seems daft to me.

didds

Dixie
19-03-07, 15:03
i just dont understand why the binned player didn;t query it

The referee is the sole judge of fact. Querying his decision is a penalty offence. Perhaps Lamont worried about receiving a red card for dissent - which may well have been upheld.

SimonSmith
19-03-07, 16:03
Scotland winger Sean Lamont was sent to the bin, when it should have been Scottish No.22 (can't remember name, maybe Lawson).

Call came in from the TJ, D Courtney. The bin was justified, they just got the wrong player.

Donal Courtney blows another call with Scotland?:rolleyes:

God, if the anit paranoia medication didn't work.....

Account Deleted
30-03-07, 00:03
It happened on the weekend at a club match. The TJ confused a dumpy Hooker with a tall number 8. Makes you wonder how well he saw the incident really! Not too sure that the incident warranted a card but certainly it did not for the poor sod who went off.

ExHookah
30-03-07, 03:03
a dumpy Hooker

Tread carefully there Welshman, don't go making generalisations.

Account Deleted
31-03-07, 09:03
As a development from this one:

Scenario

1; ref sin bins wrong player.(1st half)

2; During break it irrefutably come to his attention that he got the wrong man. He know realises who the card should have gone to.

3; During 2nd half:-
a: The player who he, in error, cared commits a YC offence.
b; The player that should have had the first card commits a YC offence.

What should he do in a and b?

tim White
31-03-07, 12:03
I would suggest you have to 'cancel' the YC issued to the wrong player, if he has served the 10 minutes then the team has had the punishment required but you cannot leave this player on a yellow knowing you are wrong. Make sure everyone knows what you are doing about this. NOW explain to the player (and Captain) who SHOULD have been carded that he got away with the last offence but your compassion in all future instances has worn very thin.

Play on with clean sheet and clear conscience.

There is, of course, no right answer just use the one that fits best.

Mike Whittaker
01-04-07, 00:04
Slippery paths ahead...

You cannot undo a wrong decision, whether it is a try, yellow card or whatever. In principle you should carry on as if you had not made the mistake and at anything above the social level that is what I would expect.

We all have to live with our mistakes, and try to do better next time :)

stuart3826
11-04-07, 19:04
I've done it myself - but I've previously made it clear that I won't change a decision once I've made it. Not been a problem

peperami
11-04-07, 22:04
As a development from this one:

Scenario

1; ref sin bins wrong player.(1st half)

2; During break it irrefutably come to his attention that he got the wrong man. He know realises who the card should have gone to.

3; During 2nd half:-
a: The player who he, in error, cared commits a YC offence.
b; The player that should have had the first card commits a YC offence.

What should he do in a and b?

In social rugby I would wipe the card.

In competitive rugby in a) the players walking for a 2nd yellow and I would leave it to the disciplinary comittee to deal with.

b) Gets a yellow card.

Ben

Mike Whittaker
11-04-07, 23:04
In a game of rugby there are many ways in which a referee can make a mistake.

Golden rule is never to allow your earlier mistakes to influence further decisions.
You cannot turn the clock back.

Suggest we stop trying to consider ways in which we can bend the rules to cover errors. It cannot be done without loss of credibility.

The law book does not allow for mistakes by the ref, and neither should we.

If any ref of level 5 and above disagrees with this philosophy, please let us know so that junior refs can have the benefit of experience..