PDA

View Full Version : Conceding Game?

Robert Burns
23-01-04, 20:01
If you have read the report for the ULU Cup/league game I did last sunday you would see that at cetrain points in the game the other team was trying to concede.

I obviously had to take the winning teams view as well in which they get extra points for scoring more tries, but what is the rules concerning this, anyone know?

Are you allowed to just concede after a certain time with no penalty to the league position if there is not safety reason to do so?

pricci
27-01-04, 10:01
If you have read the report for the ULU Cup/league game I did last sunday you would see that at cetrain points in the game the other team was trying to concede.

I obviously had to take the winning teams view as well in which they get extra points for scoring more tries, but what is the rules concerning this, anyone know?

Are you allowed to just concede after a certain time with no penalty to the league position if there is not safety reason to do so?
My view is that any team can concede at any time. The penalty being that they would automatically lose the game. The League or County may take a different view if bonus points are involved (For example, what if Team A conceded before a heavily dominant Team B scored their 4th try for a bonus point ?)

didds
27-01-04, 11:01

I'd say that's a concern for the league/cup committee, not for the ref. You call the laws as is write, amended only be pre-arranged alterations e.g. age or competition requirements (U19 alterations, extra-time allowances etc).

If one team just walks off early, then you blow no-side, and include it in your report (and awrd the game IIRC to the non-walking team in the event of them not already leading).

But what happens afterwards isn't your concern, although no doubt the league committee would be interested in your report :-)

I haven't see the match report Robert, but I have long been an advocate of a 50 point automatic no-side ie whn 1 team gains a lead of 50+ points the game is concluded. By this time the winning team have acheived everything they might need to, the losing team do not need to be humilated any further, neither side is likely to really gain anything from an extended run in such circumstances - and teams don;t come back from a 50 point deficit!. It also mitigates to a degree "freak weeks" in a league programme abnormally distorting a league (eg one week team A is abnormally weak but play... and instead of losing by (say) 20 points like they would do "most" weeks, one team by chance of a draw/schedule get to bolster their points F/A difference ...). There wiould need to be certain caveats maybe revolving around use of second half (in case the weather playeda huge hand in rattling up 50 first half points) but its seems a reasonable law change, at least at (say) level 5 and below.

didds

Robert Burns
27-01-04, 11:01
that would have been easier, however Guys scored 18 tries, and they wanted to carry on as they gett he extra point per 4 tries, so an extra 4 points may be crucial come the end of the season.

As I told them, I can't stop them walking off, however while they are on the pitch I will not stop the game as thier is no safety reason to do so.

AndyKidd
07-02-04, 08:02
"however Guys scored 18 tries, and they wanted to carry on as they get the extra point per 4 tries, so an extra 4 points may be crucial come the end of the season."

Robert .... Are you sure they get a bonus point for every 4 tries. I thought that you only got a bonus point for scoring 4 tries or more not for every 4 tries....or is that just in the premiership.

Robert Burns
10-02-04, 10:02
that was what they informed me, I don't know if it is that or not, but the oposition didn't dispute their arguement.

baldeagle
20-02-04, 21:02
that was what they informed me, I don't know if it is that or not, but the oposition didn't dispute their arguement.

The problem with stopping early is the leagues. I too would advocate a +50 point stop, it would get us into the shower before the others had used all the hot water!

Red Munster
23-02-04, 16:02
At half time in the U14 match I reffed yesterday, the losing coach asked if the second half could be shortened as his team was being hammered. The score was about 30 nil. All tries. I agreed to shorten it from 30 minutes to 20 minutes. The slaughter continued in the 2nd half with the losing team taking longer and longer to get to halfway for the restart after another try. I felt sorry for them.

I remember having this discussion before and I have to say that in the spirit of the game, I would prefer a team to hang on to some of its dignity than walk away disconsolate and disenchanted. I don't care if a team is worried about their points difference at this level. I would prefer to see players getting enjoyment from the game and encouraging them to continue playing in the future.

The 50+ rule may help in this regard.

By the way, is the referee supposed to keep the official score or is it left to both teams to report the score?

Robert Burns
23-02-04, 20:02
I have never had to pass on a score.

I agree with the 50 - nil rule for children and friendlies.

I do not agree with it in any sort of league table, the teams are supposed to be matched fairly evenly by the league, if one team has a particularly weak team and gets a hammering, maybe they will get their act together for the next week.

Also if we start allowing teams to concede it could breed a trend of players just giving up instead of playing to the end, even if it is just for pride!

Thats my opinion anyway

tim White
11-08-05, 16:08
In guiding both captains where there is doubt over the competition rules I have always said "I am uncertain as to the exact rules, but I will record what we do, and the score and the time when we did it". You are quite right that it is for others to decide consequences within their competion rules, surely we can't be expected to be experts in all areas.

Fabio
11-08-05, 18:08
By the way, is the referee supposed to keep the official score or is it left to both teams to report the score?
In the After the match section, Law 6.A.12 says "The referee communicates the score to the teams and to the match organiser."

didds
12-08-05, 10:08
just seen roberts reply from several months ago!

The answewr I would give is that the team I coached last season were in a RFU league (in fact a county first division) and their was ahuge guulf between the top half of the league and the bottom half. Several ton plus scorelines were scored, and even more walkovers, some no doubt prompted by the desire not to stand under ones own posts for 80 minutes again. ("My" side suffered three walkovers by oppo crying off, and posted two ton plus scorelines).

As such I cannot accept that leagues create reasonable equal contests. Furthermore I would advocate that a 50 point no-dide would be FAIRER in such disjointed leagues - it provides an automatic points for score in a walkover (otherwise the scoreline is entered as 0-0 despite the 2 point leage table points... meanwhile the w/o team may get a side out the next week and another side benefit to the tune of 100+ points for) so that teams awarded the w/o don;t lose pout on points difference. It also helps overcome "aberations" ... a side that might field a reasonable side week in week out one week might only be able to field a weak team through no fault of their own maybe (flu?) and one lucky opposing team by dint of a ficture descsion made months before may benefit their poinbts difference that is never otherwise normally available from that side. And I believe the knowledge that the pain will end at 50 points would HELP players retain dignity.

From a coaches perspective 50 point wins are sufficient - after that generally very little good rugby is being played as the winning side all try toi score from 60 yards out rather than keep any shape. The one reason for playing on from a coaching perspective might be to try some variations in a game situation - although its doubtful as to how useful such tests are given the lack of qaulity of opposition I guess.

I appreciate this is a laws/refs forum not a coahces one though :-)

didds